Rich: Official visit an enjoyable experience for Boykin | The Boneyard

Rich: Official visit an enjoyable experience for Boykin

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“It actually goes back to when we came down for the Louisville game,’’ said Jeff Boykin, De’Janae’s father. “We spent the whole weekend there. She really loved it. She really got along well with the coaching staff. She really loved the players. When you win championships, she thought they’d be a certain way. But they were so down to earth and just invited her in and hung out with her. So she really loved it and she couldn’t wait to get back for the official visit.

“And it was the same thing. It just kind of carried over, and then the fact that Katie Lou was there made it even better for her. Her and Katie Lou struck a friendship when they were with USA Basketball last year. They hadn’t seen each other since the summer so they were kind of like two peas in a pod kind of hanging around and enjoying themselves.’’

LINK

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
These 2 plus brown would happily conclude the 2015 recruiting season for me with or without durr.

I may be in a minority (along with you) but I'm not covetous of Durr at all at this point, mainly because she is 2015. I only know from what I read, but I believe Nurse will be a superstar, held back slightly in development only because Jefferson is ahead of her. Perhaps Durr is even better, perhaps not, but they are close enough so that being only one year apart matters in their development. Now if she was just one year later, 2016, then I would covet Durr. Obviously UConn wants the best talent that fits our system, and Durr qualifies, I just would not be concerned if we lost out.

On the other hand I definitely covet Brown for 2015, even if she's not judged as high a talent as Durr.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Love the comments. The family atmosphere and down to earth nature of the players and coaches is something unique and special for UCONN. Not saying no other team acts that way, but it's a comment we hear over and over from recruits and makes a big difference, IMHO, to kids who are going to be far from home for the first time in their lives, and for extended periods of time...

JS

Reaction Score
I believe Nurse will be a superstar, held back slightly in development only because Jefferson is ahead of her. Perhaps Durr is even better, perhaps not, but they are close enough so that being only one year apart matters in their development.
If Durr is as otherworldly as they say, I could see her starting at point before the end of her freshman year, even with someone as good as Nurse promises to be on hand (it's still informed conjecture for both at this stage).

The good news is the taller Nurse appears versatile enough to slide over (at least to the extent Bria did when MoJeff came along, and maybe beyond that) while also playing some point as needed.

Reaction Score
If Durr is as otherworldly as they say, I could see her starting at point before the end of her freshman year, even with someone as good as Nurse promises to be on hand (it's still informed conjecture for both at this stage).

The good news is the taller Nurse appears versatile enough to slide over (at least to the extent Bria did when MoJeff came along, and maybe beyond that) while also playing some point as needed.

Where is Jefferson going to play?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

Maybe I got my classes mixed up. Durr = 2015, correct? Which means no way she will be starting at point her freshman year, nor will Nurse. That honor will go to Jefferson still. With a plethora of guards it's anyone's guess who might "slide over" when, but I suspect Nurse would start at the off-guard as well over Durr her freshmen season. Perhaps she stays there while Durr takes over the point her sophomore year, though if we got everyone on our wish list at least one of those players might be slotted for the off-guard. To me, the praise for both Nurse and Durr has been "other worldly." I'm more impressed with what I read about Nurse than what I read about Durr, particularly in regards to defense and competitiveness, but I understand if someone has the opposite opinion.

Edit: Oops. While writing this I see others beat me to it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When people compare Durr to others, Taurasi is one they cite. She's supposed to be better than Loyd, Diggins, McBride, Sims, et al. I want her too.

I like what I hear about DJB. I also like KLS.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
When people compare Durr to others, Taurasi is one they cite. She's supposed to be better than Loyd, Diggins, McBride, Sims, et al. I want her too.

You are such high maintenance! :)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
From what I understand, Durr is primarily a 2-guard. She is also the consensus #1 player in her class, the best player on FIBA age group national teams, etc. etc.

I'd be very surprised if Durr doesn't have a better college career than Nurse, who is rated much higher on the Boneyard than she is anywhere else. I think she'll be very good. I just think the expectations for Nurse are perhaps a little higher than they ought to be.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score

Ditto on both points!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
From what I understand, Durr is primarily a 2-guard. She is also the consensus #1 player in her class, the best player on FIBA age group national teams, etc. etc.

I'd be very surprised if Durr doesn't have a better college career than Nurse, who is rated much higher on the Boneyard than she is anywhere else. I think she'll be very good. I just think the expectations for Nurse are perhaps a little higher than they ought to be.
That is only because she is Canadian and has been largely unseen by many in the US including the rating services. When a kid plays on the Canadian national team as a 16-17 year old and drives the veterans crzy with her on ball defense there is a lot to love. Achonwa has had big praise for her.

Reaction Score
I don't think Durr is a PG. From what i've read she is a 2 which could slide to the 1 if needed. MoJeff will start in the point for the next 2 seasons so the competition is in SG (replacing Bria) and the candidates at this point for the coming season include Chong, Banks, Nurse, and Edwards (I see Ekmark as more of a 3 and Williams is coming of injury). In 2015/16 season we'll need to replace KML and IMO Nurse could play 1-3 so in theory you can have MoJeff, Durr and Nurse as the starting PG, SG and SF.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
That is only because she is Canadian and has been largely unseen by many in the US including the rating services. When a kid plays on the Canadian national team as a 16-17 year old and drives the veterans crzy with her on ball defense there is a lot to love. Achonwa has had big praise for her.

I am sure if HoopGurlz went to the trouble of rating her in their recent update, they saw game footage of her. They could have very easily chose to not give her a rating because she's an international player.

I think perhaps the Canadian national team experience is overrated. Players like Durr or KLS would likely make that team too if they happened to be Canadian. What it will have given her is experience against high-quality older players, which is obviously helpful. However, at some point, that experience gap will no longer exist.

Anyway, I am splitting hairs. They both have excellent potential. Just pointing out a discrepancy between how most of the pundits regard the players and how Boneyarders do.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I am sure if HoopGurlz went to the trouble of rating her in their recent update, they saw game footage of her. They could have very easily chose to not give her a rating because she's an international player.

I think perhaps the Canadian national team experience is overrated. Players like Durr or KLS would likely make that team too if they happened to be Canadian. What it will have given her is experience against high-quality older players, which is obviously helpful. However, at some point, that experience gap will no longer exist.

Anyway, I am splitting hairs. They both have excellent potential. Just pointing out a discrepancy between how most of the pundits regard the players and how Boneyarders do.
None the less they have seen much less of her as she came along developmentally. I am pointing out why the pundits are limited in trying to rate her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Just pointing out a discrepancy between how most of the pundits regard the players and how Boneyarders do.

Not sure what you mean by "most of the pundits." The recruiting services didn't have much exposure to Nurse before last spring's Boo William's AAU tournament when her stock started to soar. Blue Star eventually included Nurse in its 2014 rankings and ranked her at #10 (it actually has two #10s). Prospect Nation did not include Nurse in its 2014 rankings because she's an international player, but did assign her 5 stars which would make her no lower than #11 (PN has 10 5-star players). HG (Dan Olson) ranked her at #33 and ASGR ranked her at #14. Most of the pundits seem to think she's pretty darn good.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I'm trying. I'm really trying. Nan asked us to be civil.

I'll just say this. I don't understand why a ND fan feels the need to tell us that there is a discrepancy between most pundits and Boneyarders opinions about recruits.

I believe that many here actually have as valid a viewpoint as "the pundits".

You are sure that Hoopgurlz now ranks Nurse because they saw footage of her? They didn't have footage last year? I think it's more likely that they saw all the other services had her ranked and didn't want to look foolish.

It's nice that you came here to talk basketball. But it seems most of what you want to do is diminish our players.

Last edited:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

I'll split hairs as well. I'm sure most Boneyarders side with you, more impressed with Durr than Nurse. Besides me and perhaps H29 who else on the Boneyard do you think overrates and favors Nurse? The conventional wisdom, the popular choice on the Boneyard, is Durr not Nurse.

I know that defensively Nurse gives veteran international players fits. Canada is not USA, nor is it Nigeria. Knowing that she gives veteran international players fits I'm confident she'll give college players fits, a la Faris. Durr's rep and potential is higher than Nurse's on offense, but I would not say it carries with it such certainty. She impressed at USA, but overall her shooting stats do not even match up to some of our other recruits. For example, 3 point % Durr is around 35%, Samuelson is over 50%. I believe the sophomore Boley has greater shooting percentages all across the board than Durr. Can she get her own shot better than those two? In high school competition, yes indeed. However, unlike with Nurse's defense, I'm not as confident that translates automatically to college. Maybe she'll be much superior to Nurse on offense, maybe only a little superior, or not at all, in which case Nurse's defense and savvy starts to give her the nod.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I may be in a minority (along with you) but I'm not covetous of Durr at all at this point, mainly because she is 2015. I only know from what I read, but I believe Nurse will be a superstar, held back slightly in development only because Jefferson is ahead of her. Perhaps Durr is even better, perhaps not, but they are close enough so that being only one year apart matters in their development. Now if she was just one year later, 2016, then I would covet Durr. Obviously UConn wants the best talent that fits our system, and Durr qualifies, I just would not be concerned if we lost out.

Might actually help her development.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

You understand this is a fan website, right, and we don't monkey around with our passion for the team.

Reaction Score
PS.....and you ARE forgiven. Man, I LOVE forgiving a pulpit person! That's a first for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom