Rich: Lots of recruits coming Friday... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rich: Lots of recruits coming Friday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Just to clear up my own confusion... Is your handle SLuconn Husky? Or SI? Like in Sports Illustrated? With all the sensitivity around player names I want to make sure I have the BY "player" names right.

Yeah, Slu which is basically short for St. Louis where I'm from.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Some idle thoughts about UConn recruits and players.

Andra (5'11") and Megan (6'1") are class of '17, so by my calculation they are just starting their sophomore year in high school. It is a very real possibility that either or both will add a few inches before they arrive at UConn. Andra appears to be a lock and Geno seems to be giving Megan the Maya treatment, which is to say intense recruitment by the Master.

The diversity of UConn players continues to amaze me, not only geographically but racially and ethnically. Andra is, of course, Hispanic. Kaleena brings a Mexican heritage and Saniya's dad is Asian. There are an unusually high percentage of biracial players (Mosqueda-Lewis, Chong, Nurse, and Stokes come quickly to mind), offspring of inter-racial marriages. Quite a melting pot, all with hearts of champions.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I've seen Walker play several times and I wouldn't say that, but she's going to be an excellent player.
Unless you saw Maya play a lot as a sophomore in high school, I'm not sure how you could make that determination. I was only going by the comments I received from recruiting gurus. Maybe they were a little overly-enthusiastic, i'm not sure. I guess time will tell though!

Side note - she is currently rated #1 by both Hoopgurlz and ProspectsNation. I can't find her ranking on Blue Star or ASGR.

Reaction Score
Megan Walker is a player I really really really want. She's supposed to be sensational. Like Maya Moore, but more athletic. Seriously.
Seriously???????????? How awesome would that be to have someone with her skills and work ethic but even more athletic! Amazing, to say the least!

Reaction Score
Thanks, winlots. Those whole games are available if you're interested. One of them is an entertaining matchup against Tori McCoy and Hayley Gorecki.

SLU: thanks for the tip - sounds like it would be fun to see, but we're so far behind here I can't give up that kind of time. This state of affairs is due largely to the BY of course; I bear next to no responsibility.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Unless you saw Maya play a lot as a sophomore in high school, I'm not sure how you could make that determination.

Based on what I've seen I think Maya was more athletic than Walker, but then she was pretty much more athletic than everyone. If we're talking skill level though, Walker might be able to hold her own in a comparison.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Based on what I've seen I think Maya was more athletic than Walker, but then she was pretty much more athletic than everyone. If we're talking skill level though, Walker might be able to hold her own in a comparison.
Well I'd trust your observations of Megan more than most - i've not seen her play. But my point was, in fairness to Megan, the Maya we see now, or even in college, was probably far different than the Maya people saw when she was a sophomore in high school. Still, bottom line, a ton of great kids coming to first night and I would not be unhappy to see some verbals come Monday. Not expecting it, just hopeful!!

Reaction Score
ERIC: If I didn't put so much stock in what you have to say, I wouldn't even bother to run this by you: on a scale of "Expecting" down to "Hoping," are you saying you are all the way down at Hoping? Or, are you a little higher up and closer to, "Well, I'm not EXPECTING commitments, but I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up a couple" ? I hope, I hope.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yeah, Slu which is basically short for St. Louis where I'm from.

Ha, that's what I was going to guess! Damn, I wanted to appear clever. Missed opportunity.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, we got Doc's "girl from College Park". WooHoo.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Oops. State College. Senior moment. Anyways, we got her. A post, only 6/1" now, but hey, she is only 15, could still grow 3-4 inches. Very strong work ethic. Coached by her mom since she was tiny. She will be very interesting to watch develop.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Kyla is listed at 6'2" in some sources. I will make sure I try to get to a couple of her games this year.

Reaction Score
Well, we got Doc's "girl from College Park". WooHoo.

ElZ - sure did...gotta love those PA girls. (Might have been "University Park" at another stage along the way - not sure any more.. Either way, lots of relatives back that way.) We also put a couple marks on ERIC'S "expecting -- hoping" meter, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom