Rich: In wake of Duke & Cal wins, Huskies looking to improve | The Boneyard

Rich: In wake of Duke & Cal wins, Huskies looking to improve

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“We came back from the Duke game and we watched film,’’ UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. “And that’s the great thing about technology today. When we watch film I can make it look like we won by 50 and I can make it look like we lost by 30. It all depends on what kind of spin I want to put on it. But there were a lot of things in that Duke game that our team when we were watching it was like, `Wow, I didn’t realize we were that bad at certain things.’

“We’re really good. I’d be lying if I sat here and said that we weren’t. We’re really, really good. I’m not one of these coaches that says, `We just want to compete and hope we make the NCAA tournament and see what happens. Get lucky.’ All that crap. We’re really good. But I also think that if we sit around and say, `we’re really good,’ then we’re not going to get any better. And I just assume that the teams we’ve beaten already who are really good are going to get better. I just assume they are. If they don’t then that’s their problem. But I assume that they’re going to get better. So I think we’ve got to keep getting better.’’

LINK

Reaction Score
If you read that quote from Geno, you will be furnished with the best possible insight as to why he is arguably the best coach in American sports.
Amen bro.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Reading the quote from coach,and the team's reaction to the understanding that there are things needed to improve upon,it has to be awfully scary for the teams on the rest of the schedule and the postseason play.Not only is this team talented and gelling, but their mind set of what is being taught them and the trust they have in the coaching is the best you could ask from them.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"So I think we’ve got to keep getting better"... and then I can say we're really, really, really good.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Coach says they are already "really, really good." But his point is that if you don't move forward, you're moving backward. He wants to get at least to "really, really, really good."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
"Don't look back someone may be aging on you." Satch

Reaction Score
This is why all those that worry about (their words) "the weak AAC conference" are quite mistaken. Coach sets the standard at "perfect basketball" and EVERY action is to that standard (whether it be practice or games). It matters very little who the game competition might be. The coaching staff doesn't need competitive games to know what to work on.
This is one of the things that set this coaching staff apart from "everybody else". They don't measure against others, they measure against perfection.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have seen two recent interviews of Stewie in which she has seemed to genuinely mean it when she says there is plenty to work on and seems to include herself in that. This in contrast to the preseason interview in All Access where she says, smirking "I know what I can do" and Geno says she does not listen. This is key, but I believe she has turned the corner. A second issue I see is one that cannot be discussed without creating a row because it involves weight(not Stewie's obviously).

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
If you are talking about KML, I think she'll be fine. She was out of practice for what, a month? It's very easy to get out of shape. I'm sure she'll bounce back very quickly. Doesn't seem to have affected her shot too much!

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
image.jpg

If you're talking about Icebear, I think it is just a winter weight gain thing.....should be fine in the spring......:cool:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
<This is one of the things that set this coaching staff apart from "everybody else". They don't measure against others, they measure against perfection.
trisailin, Yesterday at 10:02 AM>

I first heard this maybe 30 years ago from Bob Knight, and I think he borrowed it from John Wooden. That would put Geno in some rather good coaching company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom