Rest... Boat, Brimah & DH vs. Temple | The Boneyard

Rest... Boat, Brimah & DH vs. Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
no more than 20 mins for these guys against Temple. Lose take the 6 seed and run with it. It is the more favorable side of the bracket to make a run. No need to risk injury and additional fatigue on a quick turn around. I wouldn't care if these guys played at all but it is college not the NBA so they will.

I like our chances in Hartford where we have played good basketball all year and already beat the top 2 teams in the conference @ XL. Don't give up on the team. If we get beat in Hartford (AAC Tourney) then there is plenty of reason to reflect on a very disappointing season.

As a fan base let's help this team get to March Madness in Hartford. Get tickets and support the team. Go to the games if you can. Last night was a huge disappointment. Time to move on and get to the tourney through the back door. What do you guys think???

Reaction Score
no more than 20 mins for these guys against Temple. Lose take the 6 seed and run with it. It is the more favorable side of the bracket to make a run. ...... What do you guys think???
This. I would much rather play an additional game to then face Temple and Tulsa. Even in Hartford, I don't think this team can get past Cincy then SMU. (wow, I can't believe I just said that)

Reaction Score
We haven't lost the fifth seed yet. What the hell is the logic in resting a few guys this weekend vs resting everyone an additional day next week? Who knows what team shows up in Philly and Memphis is playing at Cincy.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Two basic rules:

1. Never wish for the "easier" route. It's a sure fire recipe for disaster. Unless of course you'd like to lose to Houston again.

2. You don't "rest" college kids. You play them ... as much as you can.

Reaction Score
We haven't lost the fifth seed yet. What the hell is the logic in resting a few guys this weekend vs resting everyone an additional day next week? Who knows what team shows up in Philly and Memphis is playing at Cincy.

I am finding a hard time finding the value in the 5th seed even with the bye. Just like any bracket avoiding the best team until the final could produce a bracket that creates a more favorable path. With the quick turn around and travel I think mentally this could be the game to rest players. Last thing we need is an injury before the tourney starts. Also the idea of beating Temple back to back assuming a rematch on Friday is not as appealing to me. Your point is well taken though. I think we will see plus 30 for these guys in minutes like you want but I would pull back.

Reaction Score
Two basic rules:

1. Never wish for the "easier" route. It's a sure fire recipe for disaster. Unless of course you'd like to lose to Houston again.

2. You don't "rest" college kids. You play them ... as much as you can.

I look at it more like what would be the most favorable match-ups as to point #1 (At-Large hope is gone). Your logic though has merit.

It definitely goes against the norm to reduce minutes in this game. I like the 6th seed better though and even college kids get mentally and physically drained this time of year.

Reaction Score

Totally agree.
We can rest in April.
Right now until we are told to put the balls away- we play.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I don't like the idea of losing 2 games in a row going into the make or break ACC tournament. They need to regain some momentum back by beating Temple at their place and I think they will try to do that.

I'ld also prefer they not need to win 4 games in a row - don't think this team would be able to do that. Unfortunately UConn doesn't control that now since they would also need Memphis to lose to Cincy. I do think Cincy will beat Memphis though.

Bottom line, play to win. And I will be there to support the Huskies in Philly.

Reaction Score
I don't like the idea of losing 2 games in a row going into the make or break ACC tournament. They need to regain some momentum back by beating Temple at their place and I think they will try to do that.

I'ld also prefer they not need to win 4 games in a row - don't think this team would be able to do that. Unfortunately UConn doesn't control that now since they would also need Memphis to lose to Cincy. I do think Cincy will beat Memphis though.

Bottom line, play to win. And I will be there to support the Huskies in Philly.

I understand. Odds are though we are playing 4 games in a row regardless. Just trying to look at risk/reward with the risk mentioned above. Any nagging injury produced in this game to Boat, Brimah or Hamilton essentially ends our season before the AAC Tourney. As the body wears down (Boat) you are more susceptible to injury. Just a thought as we look forward to playing 4 in a row.

Reaction Score
I am finding a hard time finding the value in the 5th seed even with the bye. Just like any bracket avoiding the best team until the final could produce a bracket that creates a more favorable path. With the quick turn around and travel I think mentally this could be the game to rest players. Last thing we need is an injury before the tourney starts. Also the idea of beating Temple back to back assuming a rematch on Friday is not as appealing to me. Your point is well taken though. I think we will see plus 30 for these guys in minutes like you want but I would pull back.

The number 1 seed in the tournament will be decided roughly 25 hours after our game is finished tomorrow. So how do you know which path is easier? Are you saying Tulsa is the team to avoid if they beat SMU and you'd rather face the Stangs as a 2 seed?

Reaction Score
The number 1 seed in the tournament will be decided roughly 25 hours after our game is finished tomorrow. So how do you know which path is easier? Are you saying Tulsa is the team to avoid if they beat SMU and you'd rather face the Stangs as a 2 seed?

I'm saying the exact opposite. I think history shows which match-up is better for UConn. 6th seed avoids SMU until the final...I am assuming Tulsa loses @ SMU.

Temple is playing for an At-Large tomorrow at home. I would be very surprised if we beat them playing the threesome above their regular minutes. My guess is we will play the game straight up. I just see advantages to approaching the game differently.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I'm saying the exact opposite. I think history shows which match-up is better for UConn. 6th seed avoids SMU until the final...I am assuming Tulsa loses @ SMU.

I assume you're hoping that somebody knocks off SMU prior to facing them. I think if UConn is to win the AAC, they will have to go thru them sooner or later. And I'ld rather UConn faces SMU not after having played an extra game.

Reaction Score
no more than 20 mins for these guys against Temple. Lose take the 6 seed and run with it. It is the more favorable side of the bracket to make a run. No need to risk injury and additional fatigue on a quick turn around. I wouldn't care if these guys played at all but it is college not the NBA so they will.

I like our chances in Hartford where we have played good basketball all year and already beat the top 2 teams in the conference @ XL. Don't give up on the team. If we get beat in Hartford (AAC Tourney) then there is plenty of reason to reflect on a very disappointing season.

As a fan base let's help this team get to March Madness in Hartford. Get tickets and support the team. Go to the games if you can. Last night was a huge disappointment. Time to move on and get to the tourney through the back door. What do you guys think???
I think playing an extra game when we're a team that can lose to anyone is not favorable.

DALTX

I don't have a hobby, I watch UConn
Reaction Score
This team seems to have played down to their opponent at times this year. We won big games against Tulsa and SMU, but despite the score, got crushed by Houston. Even last night, with Nichols out, the game was closer than it needed to be. That said, we don't want an extra game against a Houston-type team. That could spell disaster and as alluded earlier, would keep us out of the NIT even (if it comes down to that).

Second point is, you don't want to practice losing a game, right before needing to win 4. Practice winning at Temple, go into the tournament with momentum and confidence, and deal with whatever pairings come up.

Reaction Score
I think playing an extra game when we're a team that can lose to anyone is not favorable.
Fair enough...I think the fan base has every reason to be pessimistic about our prospects after last night. The first game (of 4) I think will give us a chance to gain some momentum heading into a more favorable draw.

Reaction Score

Temple is playing for an At-Large tomorrow at home. I would be very surprised if we beat them playing the threesome above their regular minutes. My guess is we will play the game straight up. I just see advantages to approaching the game differently.

So you want Ollie to coach on an assumption due to fearing a team we just beat on the same court? I just won't see the logic, no matter how much we go back and fourth. I hope Ollie doesn't tank the Temple game. I fear a young team won't play with the right attitude coming off back to back losses. This isn't 2011.

Reaction Score
This team seems to have played down to their opponent at times this year. We won big games against Tulsa and SMU, but despite the score, got crushed by Houston. Even last night, with Nichols out, the game was closer than it needed to be. That said, we don't want an extra game against a Houston-type team. That could spell disaster and as alluded earlier, would keep us out of the NIT even (if it comes down to that).

Second point is, you don't want to practice losing a game, right before needing to win 4. Practice winning at Temple, go into the tournament with momentum and confidence, and deal with whatever pairings come up.

Part of me wishes we didn't have to make the trip to Philly. I wonder if the team feels the same way. Logic would tell you everything points to an uninspired effort. Maybe we should expect the opposite? You never know and there are also benefits to the bye.

Reaction Score
So you want Ollie to coach on an assumption due to fearing a team we just beat on the same court? I just won't see the logic, no matter how much we go back and fourth. I hope Ollie doesn't tank the Temple game. I fear a young team won't play with the right attitude coming off back to back losses. This isn't 2011.

You might me right...hard to know. The game doesn't bring much interest to me (other than staying healthy) as a fan from a UConn perspective given the inconsistencies of the team. For me that is saying something.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Never lose on purpose. If a player is injured and needs rest for the injury, give them rest. Otherwise, they play and they play their hardest. Losing on purpose would demonstrate weak character. Coach Ollie is all about character and doing the right thing and that is outstanding in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Never lose on purpose. If a player is injured and needs rest for the injury, give them rest. Otherwise, they play and they play their hardest. Losing on purpose would demonstrate weak character. Coach Ollie is all about character and doing the right thing and that is outstanding in my opinion.

Wouldn't it be something if we came out all guns a blazin and fired up... culminating in our best performance of the year. A double digit win on the road against a team fighting for their At-Large lives. I wonder how that would translate to the AAC tourney after what we did against SMU? Just speculation based on circumstances facing this team on Saturday. Maybe we just get the status quo road performance we have seen most of the year.

Reaction Score
PS - If anyone is from Philly, what is the easiest/safest way to drive to Temple from I-95. I was thinking of going and bringing my son as it's only a 2 hours drive away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom