Refs... | The Boneyard

Refs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I thought two of Kiah's fouls were really suspect.

One was a blocking foul near the baseline in the 2nd half where, IMO, the Terp player was initiating contact (Kiah wasn't even sliding laterally), and it was just a little bump at that. The other one was a phantom foul where the player drove the left side of the rim and Kiah was going up to block or bother the shot. Replay showed no contact--body or otherwise--by anyone. (Lots of times there are pretty good blocks on the ball which are actually fouls with the body. This wasn't one of them. Kiah does a great job keeping space between her and the defender 90% of the time.)

Bria was fouled on the perimeter near the end of the half, blatantly, but then she did get the call on the 3pt attempt :) So that play didn't hurt us.

But like you said--0verall, it was a decently ref'd game.

Reaction Score
I thought two of Kiah's fouls were really suspect.

One was a blocking foul near the baseline in the 2nd half where, IMO, the Terp player was initiating contact (Kiah wasn't even sliding laterally), and it was just a little bump at that. The other one was a phantom foul where the player drove the left side of the rim and Kiah was going up to block or bother the shot. Replay showed no contact--body or otherwise--by anyone. (Lots of times there are pretty good blocks on the ball which are actually fouls with the body. This wasn't one of them. Kiah does a great job keeping space between her and the defender 90% of the time.)

Bria was fouled on the perimeter near the end of the half, blatantly, but then she did get the call on the 3pt attempt :) So that play didn't hurt us.

But like you said--0verall, it was a decently ref'd game.
A "home" job would have killed us. Some really iffy calls, but we survived.

Reaction Score
not sure if it was them or the players but they called a good game... overall
Agree except for the 4th foul on Stef. I thought she was moving her body well to get position and her arm has to move a little when her body moves. She doesn't get much of a break on foul calls in general but her other fouls were pretty obvious.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Agree except for the 4th foul on Stef. I thought she was moving her body well to get position and her arm has to move a little when her body moves. She doesn't get much of a break on foul calls in general but her other fouls were pretty obvious.

It was a shame though that the Maryland player threw he head at SD's arm. She could have hurt her arm.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have no real complaints since the foul numbers were low and most of what was called seemed valid.
There was another foul on Bria on an errant Maryland pass that was bouncing free and she and a Terp were both moving to grab it - Bria arrived first and had her hand on the ball when the collision occurred but she was called for the foul - do not understand this - this is the third sort of 'loose ball' foul of this sort called against Uconn guards.
I also thought there was some serious bumping in the low post on offense and defense by Maryland players that was not called - the only difference with the Stef foul was her arm ended up around the neck - so I guess the body bumps are cool, which is actually a good thing I think but I thought were supposed to be called this year.
I also thought there were some missed fouls on Maryland - one of which I was happy about - MoJeff's third steal and lay-up - as she blew past Thomas reached out and grabbed her hand.

Reaction Score
I have no real complaints since the foul numbers were low and most of what was called seemed valid.
There was another foul on Bria on an errant Maryland pass that was bouncing free and she and a Terp were both moving to grab it - Bria arrived first and had her hand on the ball when the collision occurred but she was called for the foul - do not understand this - this is the third sort of 'loose ball' foul of this sort called against Uconn guards.
I also thought there was some serious bumping in the low post on offense and defense by Maryland players that was not called - the only difference with the Stef foul was her arm ended up around the neck - so I guess the body bumps are cool, which is actually a good thing I think but I thought were supposed to be called this year.
I also thought there were some missed fouls on Maryland - one of which I was happy about - MoJeff's third steal and lay-up - as she blew past Thomas reached out and grabbed her hand.
You think maybe Thomas benefits because they can't call fouls on all the contact she initiates?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Some of the questionable calls and non-calls favored UConn. On one of Breanna's 3-pointers, Rebecca said that she couldn't have gotten free without Stef's great screen. So I replayed the play and focused on Stef. It was a good screen, but it was enhanced by Stef's two-handed shove of the player she was screening to move her away from Breanna. That was not called -- good thing ...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You think maybe Thomas benefits because they can't call fouls on all the contact she initiates?
Not really - I don't think she got away with much and the offensive player usually gets the benefit - the one on MoJeff was just a blatant reach type of defensive foul but with the speed of MoJeff maybe like the camera man and the producer, the refs just missed it!:)

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
DaddyChoc- I couldn't agree with you more- especially since the Stamford game, which their #1 crew called every touch in the game and ruined it. I think it was really well called- and I'm glad you started this thread. I like when they at least wait for an impeding to make a call.
Kudos to you and them!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Even I have to Admit Ct Kaiser--- Alyssa Thomas played a relatively clean game for her- probably because of the new rules implemented. I don't think she got away with nearly as much as she usually has!

Reaction Score
DaddyChoc- I couldn't agree with you more- especially since the Stamford game, which their #1 crew called every touch in the game and ruined it. I think it was really well called- and I'm glad you started this thread. I like when they at least wait for an impeding to make a call.
Kudos to you and them!

Geno-ista, Is there some reason you keep saying "Stamford" in your posts? That's not the team we played last Monday.

Reaction Score
Glad to see Daddy Choc acknowledge the officiating. They deserved it. Basketball is THE most difficult game to officiate (IMO). We would be fortunate if all the UCONN games were called on that level.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno-ista, Is there some reason you keep saying "Stamford" in your posts? That's not the team we played last Monday.
Yeah, wins over local high schools aren't near as impressive. Typo, just local name interference, or an East Haven education remember how long it took us to lose TonyC's mind so he didn't loose his dictionary.

(Geno: just a little playful high school Hornets vs Yellowjacket rival teasing.)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Some of the questionable calls and non-calls favored UConn. On one of Breanna's 3-pointers, Rebecca said that she couldn't have gotten free without Stef's great screen. So I replayed the play and focused on Stef. It was a good screen, but it was enhanced by Stef's two-handed shove of the player she was screening to move her away from Breanna. That was not called -- good thing ...

I saw that and thought the same thing. It looked really obvious. In any case IMO another good job by the refs. No impact on the outcome of the game and the play wasn't interrupted every 30 seconds with a foul call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom