Reforming the UCONN Alumni Association | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Reforming the UCONN Alumni Association

Reaction Score
  1. A more inclusive approach. Currently there are 230,000 UConn alumni. Of that number, only 5 percent, or about 13,000, are members of the Alumni Association. Another way to look at it: That means 95 percent, or 220,000 alums, are currently not members of UConn’s primary alumni outreach organization. As Donny Marshall, former captain of the UConn men’s basketball team and supporter of the alumni transition, says: “That (lack of Alumni Association members) doesn’t meet the championship standards for which UConn is known.’’ Many of the nation’s top colleges and universities have already eliminated their membership model in favor of this inclusive and integrated approach
^ This is absolutely disgusting. No wonder Power conferences think UConn is small potatoes. If this data is true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, we are leaving 220 friggin' thousand alums out in the cold (and off of our Power conference profile)?!?!?

We need to unite as one alumni base: 230,000 STRONG. This split alumni is small potatoes, shows disorganization, and is not attractive whatsoever in the eyes of "B1G" conferences.

It is true. And the "elected" representative thing is a joke. About 10% of the 13,000 cast ballots, and usually far less than that. As an "outsider" it is impossible to get elected. If you aren't part of the "machine" and have all sorts of ties into the Hartford Chapter and the leadership in Storrs, you have no chance.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
My point was big schools don't let the AD handle alumni relations and athletic travel is one of the biggest alumni events there is. They buy the tickets from the AD allotment but package their own tours for alumni because the AA would have a better handle on what make alumni happy and donate more than the AD would. An no, most schools don't do it that way. The tour operator used by the Mrs's AA is used by most other big schools.

You know most of the schools use the same tour operator as your wife's school? Who are they, and what schools are using them?

I've been on multiple tours with other schools' tour packages and they're no different than UCONN's. Have you been on any other school's tours, other than your wife's school?

The way UCONN does it is typical of schools in major conferences. The difference may be that the UCONN athletic dept. isn't interested in giving an allotment of package trips to the UCAA, for whatever reasons they may have. They only want the athletic dept. donors taken care of. Even if they did give an allotment to the UCAA, you'd still be paying the same prices, so I fail to see how it would be any different than what many other schools do when they market their ticket package deals.

I guess your wife's school is really lucky that they have a wonderful athletic dept., alumni group and tour operator. I agree that UCONN's tour operator (Worldtek in New Haven) absolutely sucks.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
The folks in Storrs appear to be getting really nervous, with this last-ditch, full court press media blitz. They should have sent this stuff out last week. I wonder if they're already counting received ballots, and it's not looking too good so far.

Pretty soon I'm expecting to see an appeal from somebody really important, like Joe Lieberman.

Reaction Score
I have no dog in this fight, I am a UConn Alum but not a member of the AA so have no vote. I have commented in the past on how lame the outreach of UConn was when compared with my grad school, NYU. My youngest child is an alumna of Emory.

Like so many middle managers who get the top slot at a new organization, Newton is trying to recreate at UConn the structure that is in place at Emory. Fund raising and alumni relations are handled by a single organization there. In my daughters's opinion this results in fund raising having the first priority. She has stopped attending alumni functions since she is tired of getting hit up for contributions constantly at all of them This may be good or bad depending on your point of view.

I met Newton on numerous occasions when he was at Emory and all I can say is he makes a very good first impression. However, the more I saw of him the more I thought there was a little bit of the snake oil salesman in him. Like Susan Herbst do not expect him to be a UConn lifer. He will do his thing until he sees a better opportunity and then he is gone. That is not meant to be a put down since I believe that that is the correct attitude for any employee of a large organization.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I have no dog in this fight, I am a UConn Alum but not a member of the AA so have no vote. I have commented in the past on how lame the outreach of UConn was when compared with my grad school, NYU. My youngest child is an alumna of Emory.

Like so many middle managers who get the top slot at a new organization, Newton is trying to recreate at UConn the structure that is in place at Emory. Fund raising and alumni relations are handled by a single organization there. In my daughters's opinion this results in fund raising having the first priority. She has stopped attending alumni functions since she is tired of getting hit up for contributions constantly at all of them This may be good or bad depending on your point of view.

I met Newton on numerous occasions when he was at Emory and all I can say is he makes a very good first impression. However, the more I saw of him the more I thought there was a little bit of the snake oil salesman in him. Like Susan Herbst do not expect him to be a UConn lifer. He will do his thing until he sees a better opportunity and then he is gone. That is not meant to be a put down since I believe that that is the correct attitude for any employee of a large organization.

I like Josh personally, but he's already been at UCONN for two years, with a staff of over 100 employees, and our endowment is only marginally larger than Quinnipiac's. At some point, doesn't he have to take ownership and deserve to take some of the blame for that level of ineffectiveness? In comparison, the UCAA operated with a staff of less than 20 people. By those numbers, Josh ought to have been at least five times more effective, with his army of staff members. Instead, we're lucky to be doing slightly better than Quinnipiac, a school with a total alumni base of 40,000 compared to our 230,000.

You made an excellent point, John. Right now, the folks who are bitching and moaning about how they attended local UCONN alumni events and got hit up to pay membership dues to join the AA are the same folks who clamor for the new business model of alumni relations and fund raising to be joined together as one. OK, then these will also be the same folks who will bitch and moan the first time they attend a local alumni event and they've got the credit card machine on the front table ready to swipe your card for a donation.

The UCONN Foundation has a program going on right now which they apparently refer to as "Phonathon." I think some of you are probably familiar with it. It consists of an auto-dial system whereby they hire current UCONN students to hit you up for donations over the phone. The problem is it's like a collection agency auto-dial system, something I've had a little experience with on the collection agent side of the phone. They sit in a boiler room with the auto-dialer fired up and complete the next call that comes up. This results in the callees, or victims if you prefer, receiving several calls per month, on average. I guess we should all be proud that UCONN is preparing our graduates for their future careers in the phone collection business.

Josh apparently considers this system an effective means of "reaching out" to the alumni base. I consider it an unwarranted an unnecessary intrusion on my time. Send me a brochure, or an e-mail. Don't constantly harass me with annoying phone calls, like any collection agency would. Really? This is how we're going to collect donations from now on? If I want to participate in the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon, I'll watch it. Otherwise, I'd prefer not to have to intentionally ignore multiple phone calls every month asking me to donate $25 or $50 bucks. I'm wearing out my reject button.

I get it, they hope they'll eventually wear you down until you give in. The problem is that isn't going to stop the auto-dial calls from coming to your cell phone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConnNick said:
I like Josh personally, but he's already been at UCONN for two years, with a staff of over 100 employees, and our endowment is only marginally larger than Quinnipiac's. At some point, doesn't he have to take ownership and deserve to take some of the blame for that level of ineffectiveness? In comparison, the UCAA operated with a staff of less than 20 people. By those numbers, Josh ought to have been at least five times more effective, with his army of staff members. Instead, we're lucky to be doing slightly better than Quinnipiac, a school with a total alumni base of 40,000 compared to our 230,000. You made an excellent point, John. Right now, the folks who are bitching and moaning about how they attended local UCONN alumni events and got hit up to pay membership dues to join the AA are the same folks who clamor for the new business model of alumni relations and fund raising to be joined together as one. OK, then these will also be the same folks who will bitch and moan the first time they attend a local alumni event and they've got the credit card machine on the front table ready to swipe your card for a donation. The UCONN Foundation has a program going on right now which they apparently refer to as "Phonathon." I think some of you are probably familiar with it. It consists of an auto-dial system whereby they hire current UCONN students to hit you up for donations over the phone. The problem is it's like a collection agency auto-dial system, something I've had a little experience with on the collection agent side of the phone. They sit in a boiler room with the auto-dialer fired up and complete the next call that comes up. This results in the callees, or victims if you prefer, receiving several calls per month, on average. I guess we should all be proud that UCONN is preparing our graduates for their future careers in the phone collection business. Josh apparently considers this system an effective means of "reaching out" to the alumni base. I consider it an unwarranted an unnecessary intrusion on my time. Send me a brochure, or an e-mail. Don't constantly harass me with annoying phone calls, like any collection agency would. Really? This is how we're going to collect donations from now on? If I want to participate in the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon, I'll watch it. Otherwise, I'd prefer not to have to intentionally ignore multiple phone calls every month asking me to donate $25 or $50 bucks. I'm wearing out my reject button. I get it, they hope they'll eventually wear you down until you give in. The problem is that isn't going to stop the auto-dial calls from coming to your cell phone.

You are right. I'm sure you could raise $600 million in two years. Easy to sit around and snipe.

Funny how I don't get those calls. Maybe cause I actually give money. I get about two calls a year.

Btw he didn't put those programs in place. They were there in 1992 when I worked for the foundation for 3 weeks. Let's go back to that leadership.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I like Josh personally, but he's already been at UCONN for two years, with a staff of over 100 employees, and our endowment is only marginally larger than Quinnipiac's. At some point, doesn't he have to take ownership and deserve to take some of the blame for that level of ineffectiveness? In comparison, the UCAA operated with a staff of less than 20 people. By those numbers, Josh ought to have been at least five times more effective, with his army of staff members. Instead, we're lucky to be doing slightly better than Quinnipiac, a school with a total alumni base of 40,000 compared to our 230,000.

You made an excellent point, John. Right now, the folks who are bitching and moaning about how they attended local UCONN alumni events and got hit up to pay membership dues to join the AA are the same folks who clamor for the new business model of alumni relations and fund raising to be joined together as one. OK, then these will also be the same folks who will bitch and moan the first time they attend a local alumni event and they've got the credit card machine on the front table ready to swipe your card for a donation.

The UCONN Foundation has a program going on right now which they apparently refer to as "Phonathon." I think some of you are probably familiar with it. It consists of an auto-dial system whereby they hire current UCONN students to hit you up for donations over the phone. The problem is it's like a collection agency auto-dial system, something I've had a little experience with on the collection agent side of the phone. They sit in a boiler room with the auto-dialer fired up and complete the next call that comes up. This results in the callees, or victims if you prefer, receiving several calls per month, on average. I guess we should all be proud that UCONN is preparing our graduates for their future careers in the phone collection business.

Josh apparently considers this system an effective means of "reaching out" to the alumni base. I consider it an unwarranted an unnecessary intrusion on my time. Send me a brochure, or an e-mail. Don't constantly harass me with annoying phone calls, like any collection agency would. Really? This is how we're going to collect donations from now on? If I want to participate in the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon, I'll watch it. Otherwise, I'd prefer not to have to intentionally ignore multiple phone calls every month asking me to donate $25 or $50 bucks. I'm wearing out my reject button.

I get it, they hope they'll eventually wear you down until you give in. The problem is that isn't going to stop the auto-dial calls from coming to your cell phone.

What I read:
"
I like josh but I am going to go on and tell you how big of a fraud he is and how much better the ucaa is per pound than the UCONN foundation. I'll also pretend that the additional gift giving under his short tenure is not his work, BUT the endowment grown over the decades that preceded him is. At last I have fully revealed my agenda.
"

Reaction Score

Did you just argue that the Foundation should have done a better job of growing the endowment because it had a staff that is five times larger than a completely different organization that has nothing to do with growing the endowment (and has steadfastly refused to help in doing so)?

Wow.

For the record, I absolutely love receiving those calls. The kids must hate me because I talk their ears off asking about how things are going on campus, what they're majoring in, what they want to do when they graduate, etc. Oh, and I have never, ever given a dime in response to one of those calls. Not once.

Finally, the fact that you would hang up on a UConn student says it all. Go ahead and tell us how much you love UConn, though.

Reaction Score
Did you just argue that the Foundation should have done a better job of growing the endowment because it had a staff that is five times larger than a completely different organization that has nothing to do with growing the endowment (and has steadfastly refused to help in doing so)?

Wow.

For the record, I absolutely love receiving those calls. The kids must hate me because I talk their ears off asking about how things are going on campus, what they're majoring in, what they want to do when they graduate, etc. Oh, and I have never, ever given a dime in response to one of those calls. Not once.

Finally, the fact that you would hang up on a UConn student says it all. Go ahead and tell us how much you love UConn, though.

From the point of view of the UConn robo-call boiler room, hanging up or even better not answering is a better alternative than taking up the caller's time and then not making a contribution. What you do is the worst possible outcome since robo-call centers are premised on maximizing the number of call in a given time period.

Reaction Score
From the point of view of the UConn robo-call boiler room, hanging up or even better not answering is a better alternative than taking up the caller's time and then not making a contribution. What you do is the worst possible outcome since robo-call centers are premised on maximizing the number of call in a given time period.

That's the conventional wisdom (and that's why Nick the Super Husky hangs up on these people, or at least that's what he tells himself).

In reality, though, the Foundation knows that that call is going to cause me to bump up my annual donation later in the year, and it does because I am a sucker for all things UConn. They are playing a long game and they are better at it than the typical robo-call farm.

Reaction Score
That's the conventional wisdom (and that's why Nick the Super Husky hangs up on these people, or at least that's what he tells himself).

In reality, though, the Foundation knows that that call is going to cause me to bump up my annual donation later in the year, and it does because I am a sucker for all things UConn. They are playing a long game and they are better at it than the typical robo-call farm.

Sounds to me like there is a little bit of rationalization going on both sides, unless the folks at the foundation know you well enough to predict how you react to their call some months after it is made. In my case I have not gotten called in more than a decade. The reason is that the day after their last evening call I called the foundation and told them to look up my giving history in their records and if they wanted it to continue they had better take me off the robo list.

On a related subject I got a post card last week informing me that the business school would no longer be sending out the alumni magazine in hard copy. Instead they wanted an email address to send it. As far as I am concerned I have now seen the last issue. It was the only form of communication I got on a regular basis from Storrs. So much for increased alumni engagement to this member of the pre-internet generation.

Reaction Score
John Greene said:
Sounds to me like there is a little bit of rationalization going on both sides, unless the folks at the foundation know you well enough to predict how you react to their call some months after it is made. In my case I have not gotten called in more than a decade. The reason is that the day after their last evening call I called the foundation and told them to look up my giving history in their records and if they wanted it to continue they had better take me off the robo list. On a related subject I got a post card last week informing me that the business school would no longer be sending out the alumni magazine in hard copy. Instead they wanted an email address to send it. As far as I am concerned I have now seen the last issue. It was the only form of communication I got on a regular basis from Storrs. So much for increased alumni engagement to this member of the pre-internet generation.

I can't say if what they do is effective or not. But you are right. They will stop calling if you ask. Hanging up doesn't help.

As to mailing out magazines? Seems a waste of money to me. Clearly you have the Internet.

Reaction Score

Hi: As I'd mentioned in the conversation message I'd sent you a few days ago, we certainly can remove you from the phonathon list. Just send me your full name and location and I can take you off.

They're hard workers, those phonathon students. It's definitely not the way a lot of people like to be contacted, and I get it, but it's a valuable lesson in persistence and growing a tough skin, for sure.

The reason phonathon's been around so long--as a previous commenter mentioned, it's been around for years and years--is because there are many others who enjoy a personal phone call from a current student and prefer to be solicited that way. I've heard many stories of students having long conversations with people they've called, telling them what they're majoring in, what campus is like, etc., and in return hearing about their memories of campus. And that makes the job rewarding for both the students and the people they call, in the long run.

But we certainly don't want to alienate you or contact you in ways you'd prefer not to be contacted. So let me know!

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
On a related subject I got a post card last week informing me that the business school would no longer be sending out the alumni magazine in hard copy. Instead they wanted an email address to send it. As far as I am concerned I have now seen the last issue. It was the only form of communication I got on a regular basis from Storrs. So much for increased alumni engagement to this member of the pre-internet generation.

You should consider giving the internet a shot. Among other things that it offers it has message boards, place where people with some common interests can discuss/debate things related to those common interests. I realize that new things can at times be intimidating but you may actually like the internet if you try it.

Reaction Score
You should consider giving the internet a shot. Among other things that it offers it has message boards, place where people with some common interests can discuss/debate things related to those common interests. I realize that new things can at times be intimidating but you may actually like the internet if you try it.

Well played!

Obviously I can use the internet but do admit to being too old to want to read anything that is over a couple of paragraphs on line.

Reaction Score
Well played!

Obviously I can use the internet but do admit to being too old to want to read anything that is over a couple of paragraphs on line.

That's fair. I just don't find the content compelling. I pick it up and page through it when they send it, but I'd rather the money was spent elsewhere.

Reaction Score
That's fair. I just don't find the content compelling. I pick it up and page through it when they send it, but I'd rather the money was spent elsewhere.

Agree as to the content. But not getting it in hard copy means there will be nothing for me to page through. I have considered reexamining my stance on long on line pieces but if I do that I might have to read some posters opuses to their end. (Are you listening Spackler?)

UConnNick

Reaction Score

Wow.

Show me where I indicated I ever hung up on anybody from the UCONN Foundation? I never did. I just don't answer the calls, because after a while it's pretty easy to reject calls when you see they're from the exact same phone number you've already seen several times in the past month.

Also, since the foundation was created, it has been its sole task to grow the endowment, not the UCAA's, so whatever point you're trying to make is pointless.

But, since it suits your purpose to distort facts, by all means go ahead and do so.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Hi: As I'd mentioned in the conversation message I'd sent you a few days ago, we certainly can remove you from the phonathon list. Just send me your full name and location and I can take you off.

They're hard workers, those phonathon students. It's definitely not the way a lot of people like to be contacted, and I get it, but it's a valuable lesson in persistence and growing a tough skin, for sure.

The reason phonathon's been around so long--as a previous commenter mentioned, it's been around for years and years--is because there are many others who enjoy a personal phone call from a current student and prefer to be solicited that way. I've heard many stories of students having long conversations with people they've called, telling them what they're majoring in, what campus is like, etc., and in return hearing about their memories of campus. And that makes the job rewarding for both the students and the people they call, in the long run.

But we certainly don't want to alienate you or contact you in ways you'd prefer not to be contacted. So let me know!

You could care less about taking me off the phone list, you're just a foundation employee trying to figure out who I am. I know who you are.

Welcome to the brave new world of UCONN Foundation alumni relations. Let's figure out who our enemies are. I'm glad you people are outing yourselves in this manner so we know what to expect when you handle alumni relations in this ham-handed way.

For the record, I've never hung up on any "Phonathon" employee, nor do I ever intend to. I also don't intend to ever answer any of their calls again, which is no problem, unless you decide to change your phone number.

Also, for the record, I've contributed money to the university many times over the years, both to academics and athletics, and I've spent countless hours promoting UCONN in every way imaginable.

Reaction Score
UConnNick said:
Show me where I indicated I ever hung up on anybody from the UCONN Foundation? I never did. I just don't answer the calls, because after a while it's pretty easy to reject calls when you see they're from the exact same phone number you've already seen several times in the past month. Also, since the foundation was created, it has been its sole task to grow the endowment, not the UCAA's, so whatever point you're trying to make is pointless. But, since it suits your purpose to distort facts, by all means go ahead and do so.

I think your point was Newton has done nothing. I've presented alternative evidence. I don't care whether you pick up the phone or not.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I can only compare my experience at two universities. I live outside of Boston, which one would expect would have, along with NYC the highest concentration of UConn alumni in any major cities. I'm a life member. Yet the alumni association is lacking in many key respects. I never "joined" the Kansas University Alumni association, yet I get stickers for my car annually, and I get constant invites to watch parties and other events in and around Boston. More than I get for UConn. That's pretty sad.
QUOTE]
One thing I never understood is why the school does not utilize free car decals (and not just alumni assoc stickers) and lower cost shirts. It's low cost advertising. It is amazing how different the mentality is in the northeast versus the south or Midwest. And promote "wear your UConn gear on vacation" photos - huskies around the country and around the globe. SEC, B1G, B12 fans love porting school gear. I know that there are some costs associated - and even a $1 sticker gets pricey x 230k.......but we have to make our brand heard.

Reaction Score
Show me where I indicated I ever hung up on anybody from the UCONN Foundation? I never did. I just don't answer the calls, because after a while it's pretty easy to reject calls when you see they're from the exact same phone number you've already seen several times in the past month.

Also, since the foundation was created, it has been its sole task to grow the endowment, not the UCAA's, so whatever point you're trying to make is pointless.

But, since it suits your purpose to distort facts, by all means go ahead and do so.

Your point about expecting the Foundation to be "five times more effective" than the UCAA makes absolutely no sense. None whatsoever. Besides, take a look at what the endowment has fared over the last five years, and what the UCAA's membership has looked like over that time. Even if you could measure "effectiveness" of two separate organizations according to a common standard, the Foundation has been far more effective than the UCAA. By a long shot.

Oh, and not answering the calls is still turning your back on UConn. Not a great look.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You could care less about taking me off the phone list, you're just a foundation employee trying to figure out who I am. I know who you are.

Welcome to the brave new world of UCONN Foundation alumni relations. Let's figure out who our enemies are. I'm glad you people are outing yourselves in this manner so we know what to expect when you handle alumni relations in this ham-handed way.

For the record, I've never hung up on any "Phonathon" employee, nor do I ever intend to. I also don't intend to ever answer any of their calls again, which is no problem, unless you decide to change your phone number.

Also, for the record, I've contributed money to the university many times over the years, both to academics and athletics, and I've spent countless hours promoting UCONN in every way imaginable.
She's just trying to help you man. No need to be a Richard about it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom