Reforming the UCONN Alumni Association | The Boneyard

Reforming the UCONN Alumni Association

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
With talks that the Foundation is essentially pushing the Alumni Association out, I feel this is a good time to discuss how to best reform/reconfigure our alumni network (merge the two?). Quite frankly, I believe it could be much improved across the United States. As the influence of the foundation grows, the time is critical to get this right (and simultaneously help our endowment exponentially).

Summary;

The Foundation/Alumni association sets up new, streamlined, facebook/linkedin groups for each city that serve as meet-up and networking opportunities. Yes, I am aware that these groups exist right now, however, they are amateur and disorganized. There is no collaboration between the University and the 5-10 recent alumni who run the groups like a glorified HS class group (ex. lets meet at this bar on a random Tuesday).

How to improve;

-Each major U.S. city has a Foundation lead that administers the groups and organizes at least 3 events per year that do not include sporting events. Think quality over quantity. They then choose (by application) 2-3 recent alumni to help organize.

-The foundation links up each network's alumni with University career services. This gives a sophomore-junior the opportunity to align his internship/entry-level job options with a certain city ( this is a common practice for many nescac/b1g schools). By localizing your alumni networks (especially NYC, Boston, Hartford, Philly and DC), you foster the build of a greater network. The simplicity of this idea is understated (IMO) and would take us far.

What are your ideas?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With talks that the Foundation is essentially pushing the Alumni Association out ...
How much truth exists in suggestions by past or present Alumni Association part-time representatives it is simply being pushed out? From news reports and other perspectives, hasn't UCONN leadership and the UCONN Foundation identified the Alumni Association currently operates differently than at many other similar sized universities and the association has not been too effective organizing alumni events or raising funds for an extended period?

From information bandied around, there were suggestions by Susan Herbst or maybe direct quotes from the new Foundation head indicating the latter basically subsidized the alumni association for many years. Or, was the time period pretty much decades since the alumni association's initial inception?

If nothing else, it's a positive for UCONN to now reassess the current status of alumni relations and fundraising. If a revamped alumni association is part of the solution, great. If alternative, more effective methods exist at other large universities, then aggressively and successfully pursue them with or without the alumni association's historical influence, impact, or drain on resources - whichever potentially apply and may help UCONN in really B1G ways.

Reaction Score
Honestly I am part of the NYC chapter of the Alumni Association on LinkedIn and Facebook. When the Huskies are in the NCAA Tournament or a bowl game (remember those days?) they were great at getting the word out about watch parties and such.

Other than that, there is no discernible role that they play here in the City. What I would like to see happen:

* Regularly scheduled meetings.
* A physical space in Manhattan for us to meet. I'm not saying we'll ever have a Harvard, Yale or Princeton club, but let's put our flag down and have somewhere to meet, drink and network.
* Fundraising efforts. For not only the local chapter, but also for the University as a whole. There's a lot of money in NYC and a lot of UConn alumni, we should be working them hard.
* Mentoring programs. I'm 31 years old and would never hesitate to help a 22-year-old graduate find their first job in The City.

Just a couple of thoughts. We can be doing so much more.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I was the President of the Hartford Chapter and we made lots of money that went toward scholarships and funded the UCONN Dance Team at one point.
The Alumni Association has been nothing short of a cluster**** for years. It is rife with cronyism and has been a drain on the university budget while attracting oh 6% of graduates as members.

The best thing to do is blow it up and have the new version work under the Foundation. I miss the events we ran - football dinners, Coachs Dinners with Calhoun, Ollie and Auriemma and the other events, but the best thing for the organization as a whole is a complete revampment.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Was just going to post this. I think combining the alumni into one, public group is in the best interest of UConn fundraising and improving its profile for B1G membership. It's hard to count all alumni when each of us belong to different groups/associations. As a unified group, we can now accurately report just how many alumni live in and around coveted urban areas in the northeast and other areas. We have a strong alumni base in NYC and an alumni chapter in Boston. To be able to share accurate data showing this will be an asset to State U.

Reaction Score
Donny contributed nothing when he served on the Alumni Board and is frequently an absentee trustee.

Reaction Score
"Since April, the full-time staff at the Alumni Association has transitioned to the Foundation, and bold plans are in the works to involve you more substantively in the life of the University through increased outreach, communication, and involvement opportunities."
Whether some alumni like the changes in UCONN's alumni strategic objectives or not, the past alumni association staff already moved to and work for the UCONN Foundation since April. From the Courant, here's a related article I recalled reading and alluded to above regarding the alumni association and what Donny Marshall diplomatically references as its "... less than stellar results".

Regardless of results of a vote regarding an already dissolved alumni association, it clearly appears done and deader than canned horse meat. May UCONN's new alumni strategic direction help lead the Huskies in intended B1G ways.

Reaction Score

Fellow Alumni:

I am writing to ask all of my UConn alumni friends in the Greater Hartford area, throughout Connecticut and across the nation to vote against the proposal from the UCAA's Board of Directors to dissolve the 127 year old UConn Alumni Association when you receive your ballot this week.

I have been involved in the Alumni Association for some thirty years at both the chapter and national levels and am equally disturbed by President Herbst's proposal and our Board of Director's acquiescence to transfer the administration of alumni affairs to the UConn Foundation.

While this decision has been made despite the objections of hundreds of past and current alumni leaders, I would argue that there at least five reasons to oppose the dissolution of this organization.

First, the dissolution would eliminate any elected alumni representatives to participate in any meaningful way in the decisions made within and outside the University structure. Alumni representatives will be handpicked to serve on the Foundation Board and committees and there will be no structure in place to have elected alumni serve on major University search committees and to represent alumni on such panels as the UConn Advocates and testifying on behalf of alumni at the Capital.

Second, the change hijacks the process of nominating Alumni Trustees to serve on the Board of Trustees. Under current law and by-laws, two candidates are nominated by our elected Board of Directors and two more can be nominated by alumni at their Annual Meeting. The Foundation has already assumed this role, nominating candidates who may have not served within the alumni organization and dismissing candidates who may have been independent, strong voices for alumni on the Board of Trustees.

Third, the dissolution of the Association would result in the transfer of our Alumni House to the University, with little or no guarantees that it will continue to be used for alumni purposes. Alumni and alumni organizations worked hard to raise the money to build the House and worked even harder to build a beautiful addition to the House that includes the J. Robert Donnelly Sports Museum.

Fourth, under the terms of our Certificate of Incorporation, the dissolution of the Association would also result in the transfer of our investment portfolio of six million dollars to the University. Although the Board of Directors has outlined the areas they would like to see the money used, once this money has been transferred to the Foundation there is no guarantee it will be used as intended and with no Board of Directors in place, no one left to ensure that the funds are allocated and spent as intended.

If the proposal for dissolution is defeated, an elected Board could continue to manage our assets, entering into a lease with the University for the use of the Alumni House for a token amount and continuing to oversee our six million dollar portfolio, allocating five per cent of the principal annually to be used for student scholarships, continued support of alumni chapters and affinity groups and other purposes.

The fifth reason to vote no on the dissolution of the UConn Alumni Association is to send a strong message to President Herbst and the UConn Alumni Association's Board of Directors that you oppose the transfer of alumni responsibilities to the Foundation and believe that the alumni should continue to have a semi-independent, 501(c)(3) corporation that is separate from the UConn Foundation. Without any discussion with the Board of Directors or any other alumni organization, President Herbst informed the Board of Directors on January 13th that she was assigning the responsibility of conducting alumni affairs to the UConn Foundation. In turn, the Board of Directors came to the conclusion in February that it could not survive without University support and, without consulting any other alumni or alumni organizations, made the decision to recommend to its members the dissolution of the organization. That's just not the way decisions are made in a college environment in this day and age.

I have included for your review one of several news articles that has been published on this subject within the last 48 hours and I invite your comment and questions.

http://touch.courant.com/#section/2237/article/p2p-83785556/

Thank you for taking the time to complete your ballot this week, adding postage and voting loudly to defeat the dissolution of an organization that has served us well for 127 years.

Steven R. Donen '80 '83 Law
Cromwell, CT
B 860-278-3434

P.S. In addition to completing and returning your ballot, please take fifteen minutes today to cull through your email contacts and forward my email to twenty-five of your alumni friends with your support!

Reaction Score
The nature of alumni associations is changing....other schools have already moved in the direction of university operated organizations.

At my school, while there is a strong alumni association with a national board of directors, the local alumni clubs (spread across the USA) have become Seminole Clubs...(no longer just alumni). And, a few years ago, these clubs became a defacto arm of the university.

The Seminole Clubs combined booster clubs, FSU fans, and FSU alumni into one club....

Excerpt..."
In 1992, under the leadership of then Vice President of University Relations Dr. Jim Pitts, it was determined that clubs would delete the name "Booster" or "Alumni" and call themselves Seminole Clubs®. As seen in the Seminole Club® Handbook, a Florida State University Seminole Club is a true representative of the university in a certain geographic area, and represents all interests of the University.

With the new millennium and the rise of the internet and satellite television, Seminole Clubs® had to change with the times. So too did the university, and so in 2011 a new club structure was unveiled: Operation CLUB. CLUB is an acronym for Committing to Lead, Uniting Behind…and the Operation CLUB initiative is a 5 year plan that started July 1st, 2011. The plan calls for a much stronger commitment from the university in leading its Seminole Clubs®, with the Seminole Clubs® uniting behind the effort for the advancement of the university. The primary change in the club structure is that local Seminole Clubs® will no longer charge “local” club dues, and instead will be directly supported by the university.

(that second paragraph is BS that easily translates to the university took control).

Reaction Score
Without knowing all the details of how the Alumni Assoc. operates, I think any plan designed to unify all Alumni is a good plan. There needs to be much more communication, structure, and fundraising to efficiently and effectively bring all the resources available together. I know that if I donate or pay dues, I want as much of that as possible going to UCONN to and to help build the endowment.

Reaction Score
I think the current Alumni Association board feels that they are more effective than they really are. I am sure they have created a nice social structure and that active members of the association love it. It is sad for them to lose something they work hard at and enjoy. However, fundraising is priority number one and the university now realizes that it is time get it together in an area the Alumni Assoc. has failed. Hopefully, Alumni Assoc. hardcores will jump on board with the foundation and continue to participate and enjoy the company of other alumni. It will be a terrible loss if they hold a grudge and stay away.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Fellow Alumni:

I am writing to ask all of my UConn alumni friends in the Greater Hartford area, throughout Connecticut and across the nation to vote against the proposal from the UCAA's Board of Directors to dissolve the 127 year old UConn Alumni Association when you receive your ballot this week.

I have been involved in the Alumni Association for some thirty years at both the chapter and national levels and am equally disturbed by President Herbst's proposal and our Board of Director's acquiescence to transfer the administration of alumni affairs to the UConn Foundation.

While this decision has been made despite the objections of hundreds of past and current alumni leaders, I would argue that there at least five reasons to oppose the dissolution of this organization.

First, the dissolution would eliminate any elected alumni representatives to participate in any meaningful way in the decisions made within and outside the University structure. Alumni representatives will be handpicked to serve on the Foundation Board and committees and there will be no structure in place to have elected alumni serve on major University search committees and to represent alumni on such panels as the UConn Advocates and testifying on behalf of alumni at the Capital.

Second, the change hijacks the process of nominating Alumni Trustees to serve on the Board of Trustees. Under current law and by-laws, two candidates are nominated by our elected Board of Directors and two more can be nominated by alumni at their Annual Meeting. The Foundation has already assumed this role, nominating candidates who may have not served within the alumni organization and dismissing candidates who may have been independent, strong voices for alumni on the Board of Trustees.

Third, the dissolution of the Association would result in the transfer of our Alumni House to the University, with little or no guarantees that it will continue to be used for alumni purposes. Alumni and alumni organizations worked hard to raise the money to build the House and worked even harder to build a beautiful addition to the House that includes the J. Robert Donnelly Sports Museum.

Fourth, under the terms of our Certificate of Incorporation, the dissolution of the Association would also result in the transfer of our investment portfolio of six million dollars to the University. Although the Board of Directors has outlined the areas they would like to see the money used, once this money has been transferred to the Foundation there is no guarantee it will be used as intended and with no Board of Directors in place, no one left to ensure that the funds are allocated and spent as intended.

If the proposal for dissolution is defeated, an elected Board could continue to manage our assets, entering into a lease with the University for the use of the Alumni House for a token amount and continuing to oversee our six million dollar portfolio, allocating five per cent of the principal annually to be used for student scholarships, continued support of alumni chapters and affinity groups and other purposes.

The fifth reason to vote no on the dissolution of the UConn Alumni Association is to send a strong message to President Herbst and the UConn Alumni Association's Board of Directors that you oppose the transfer of alumni responsibilities to the Foundation and believe that the alumni should continue to have a semi-independent, 501(c)(3) corporation that is separate from the UConn Foundation. Without any discussion with the Board of Directors or any other alumni organization, President Herbst informed the Board of Directors on January 13th that she was assigning the responsibility of conducting alumni affairs to the UConn Foundation. In turn, the Board of Directors came to the conclusion in February that it could not survive without University support and, without consulting any other alumni or alumni organizations, made the decision to recommend to its members the dissolution of the organization. That's just not the way decisions are made in a college environment in this day and age.

I have included for your review one of several news articles that has been published on this subject within the last 48 hours and I invite your comment and questions.

Thank you for taking the time to complete your ballot this week, adding postage and voting loudly to defeat the dissolution of an organization that has served us well for 127 years.

Cromwell, CT
B 860-278-3434

P.S. In addition to completing and returning your ballot, please take fifteen minutes today to cull through your email contacts and forward my email to twenty-five of your alumni friends with your support!
I'm sure this person and a lot of others have worked hard to for the betterment of the Alumni Association and I wouldn't want to dismiss their opinions out of hand. Oversight is a valid concern, but most of the objections raised in that letter sound small-time. They're worried about UConn controlling the Alumni House? Like what, Herbst is going to convert it into classrooms or something? I don't think so. And raising the point of the $6m portfolio... again, I'm sure the A.A. folks were working hard to raise that money, but $6 mil is probably pennies compared to what our peers are working with. 10k members is embarassing. Performance matters.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Fellow Alumni:

Cromwell, CT
B 860-278-3434

How do we know that Donen wrote this...?:rolleyes:

I think Donen lays out the case to preserve the existing arrangement about as well as is possible.
It is not persuasive.

Reaction Score
The choice is pretty simple.

If you would like your association to represent 5-6% of alumni, and if you comfortable having an endowment that is about:
  • $800 million smaller than Cincinnati's,
  • $1 billion smaller than Delaware's,
  • $800 million smaller than Kentucky's,
  • $1.6 billion smaller than Indiana's,
  • $900 million smaller than Iowa's,
  • $1.75 billion smaller than Michigan State's,
  • $2.8 billion smaller than Minnesota's,
  • $1.1 billion smaller than Missouri's,
  • $1.15 billion smaller than Nebraska's,
  • $2.3 billion smaller than North Carolina's,
  • $1.1 billion smaller than Oklahoma's,
  • $2.1 billion smaller than Purdue's, or
  • $2.5 billion smaller than Washington's...
...not to mention about $750 million smaller than Syracuse's and about $1.75 billion smaller than BC's, you should vote "no" for the status quo.

If you think our alma mater deserves better, then you should vote "yes" -- regardless of whether it was Donny or some other really smart person who wrote that letter.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm sure this person and a lot of others have worked hard to for the betterment of the Alumni Association and I wouldn't want to dismiss their opinions out of hand. Oversight is a valid concern, but most of the objections raised in that letter sound small-time. They're worried about UConn controlling the Alumni House? Like what, Herbst is going to convert it into classrooms or something? I don't think so. And raising the point of the $6m portfolio... again, I'm sure the A.A. folks were working hard to raise that money, but $6 mil is probably pennies compared to what our peers are working with. 10k members is embarassing. Performance matters.
Very well said.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

If you would like your association to represent 5-6% of alumni, and if you comfortable having an endowment that is about:
...not to mention about $750 million smaller than Syracuse's and about $1.75 billion smaller than BC's, you should vote "no" for the status quo.

If you think our alma mater deserves better, then you should vote "yes" -- regardless of whether it was Donny or some other really smart person who wrote that letter.
Also very well said.

Reaction Score

BOTH our Alumni Association AND the Foundation were VERY poorly run for the majority of the history of the University. I also know that there are some very good people that have tried in vain in right the ship. But with regards to the Alumni Association it is a lost cause as currently constructed. The infighting and childish behavior takes up the majority of their bandwidth and they accomplish virtually nothing, while we fall further behind in Alumni engagement every single day. Yes, I ran for the Board twice. The first time I lost, the second time I had to recuse myself due to a odd set of circumstances and accusations (nothing having anything to do with anything I did) that included race-baiting and all sorts of other nonsense. It is a fundamentally broken organization, and some of the recent additions have seen nothing but frustration and are 100% in favor of the dissolution because they realize that it will never change for the better as it stands.

The Foundation is under new leadership. If you have a chance to spend time with Josh Newton, please do so. The biggest issue with this merger is that the UCAA doesn't believe it can trust the Foundation. 5 years ago, I would probably agree that the Foundation couldn't be trusted to manage this properly. But I ABSOLUTELY trust the leadership of Newton et al (I spent some time with him recently and discussed this very issue with him). He wants to win, he has a plan, he has the backing of Herbst, and I believe that the Alumni Association AND the Foundation (and the endowment) will be in FAR better shape if the merger goes through.

If you vote NO, the ONLY people that win (in the short term) are those that have all of their self-worth tied up in being a figurehead inside a poor-performing organization. If the NAYs win, there will ultimately be lawsuits between the UCAA and the University and that $6M "war chest" will probably be squandered away by nonsense.

Please exercise some common sense and vote for progress. Vote for UCONN's future, not for the self-interest of a small group of people that only seem to care about themselves.

(btw I'm on the fiduciary committee for the UCAA which oversees the $6M and I'm 100% comfortable that it will be safeguarded by the Foundation - and btw the UCAA wasn't really using it for anything anyway, so I'm not really sure what the paranoia is all about)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom