Red Sox prospects | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Red Sox prospects

Reaction Score
I don't know why anyone would embrace anything written in the first post as it was filled with pure BS.

Sort of like your inferences that every team has a couple of Mookie Betts on them.

Didn't we go through all this with Jackie Bradley Jr when Sox fans were whining about his service time and impending free agency in spring of 2013?

Betts is a nice player. Let's leave it at that for now.

Reaction Score
Umm, can you actually read? Did you actually go to UConn? I hope not, it would devalue the school and my education.

I didn't list Betts if you see.

Every team has 2-3-4 upcoming players they talk about in their top 10. Sox act like 8+ will be major contributors. Not realistic, that was my point. Several of these guys aren't going to be major factors.

Also, comparing Cano to Betts when Cano is having maybe his worst season ever?? What is the point? Odd, stupid.

Betts' "advanced" metrics point to him being a better player than I think he has been thus far, but I think it's nuts to say every team has a player like him at a similar age.

Through their full season's worth of at bats, and at age 22,

Betts: .274/15 HR/66 RBI/86 Runs/20 SB/.774 OPS

Robinson Cano: .297/14 HR/62 RBI/78 Runs/ 1 SB/.778 OPS

Better average for Cano, more steals for Betts. Otherwise, at 22, they were the same player.
I thought I had this clown on ignore. I think he feels like it's his job to gripe about anything and everything, as well as painfully exaggerate in all of his arguments. He said he was done with Rusney Castillo and officially named him a waste of money in another thread. Probably a fairweather guy who was attracted during one of the recent WS runs.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Umm, can you actually read? Did you actually go to UConn? I hope not, it would devalue the school and my education.

Every team has 2-3-4 upcoming players they talk about in their top 10. Sox act like 8+ will be major contributors. Not realistic, that was my point. Several of these guys aren't going to be major factors.

Also, comparing Cano to Betts when Cano is having maybe his worst season ever?? What is the point? Odd, stupid.

The sweet, sweet irony. You ask if we can "actually read" when you fail to notice that Betts and Cano were being compared "through their full season's worth of at bats, and at age 22,". You're the one devaluing your own education and making both UConn and Red Sox fans look horrible.

Reaction Score
Because fans of first place teams enjoy needling fans of last place teams? Fairly standard procedure for discussing sports online IMO.

Thats BS have you seen any posts discussing this? Nice try but you guys are looking for stuff that doesn't even exist. We've been better than the Sox all year and there has been little or nothing written by any Yankee fan bragging about this or first place. If the shoe were on the other foot I doubt it would be that way, that's what I will say about comparing fan bases.

Reaction Score

So much fail in this post . . . .

If you're going to try to insult someone's intelligence, you better make damn sure that you know what you're talking about, and that you actually took the time to read the post you're responding to.

Oh, and yes, I went to UConn. I'm one of the guys that increases the value of your degree.

Reaction Score
Alright I have a huge sum of cash in mind to say Betts never becomes Cano - you in Ex?

He'll never hit for power like Cano once did, but I'd be in if we can figure out what metric we're using. I'll wager a round (and post-round round) at the CT golf course of the winner's choosing. Let's figure out how to judge it and revisit in five years if we're both still above ground . . .

Reaction Score
He'll never hit for power like Cano once did, but I'd be in if we can figure out what metric we're using. I'll wager a round (and post-round round) at the CT golf course of the winner's choosing. Let's figure out how to judge it and revisit in five years if we're both still above ground . . .

Good ending LOL........yeah perfect works out either way for us. ;) I like my chances but know either way I will play golf, if above ground.

Reaction Score
Good ending LOL...yeah perfect works out either way for us. ;) I like my chances but know either way I will play golf, if above ground.

I like your chances, too, if I'm being honest . . .

Reaction Score
Betts' "advanced" metrics point to him being a better player than I think he has been thus far, but I think it's nuts to say every team has a player like him at a similar age.

Through their full season's worth of at bats, and at age 22,

Betts: .274/15 HR/66 RBI/86 Runs/20 SB/.774 OPS

Robinson Cano: .297/14 HR/62 RBI/78 Runs/ 1 SB/.778 OPS

Better average for Cano, more steals for Betts. Otherwise, at 22, they were the same player.
Betts needs to accept the fact that he is not a HR hitter and level out his swing a bit. Betts would improve his average giving him more opportunities to steal bases and the loss of a few HRs would be worth it. He is not Robinson Cano no matter what the numbers say.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Just saw on Twitter that Yoan Moncada is 27-29 in SB attempts. Still a bust?

Reaction Score
I didn't start the insults if you see. I didn't list the players I was said to be suggesting. I merely said the Sox overhype their 2nd tier prospects and that I was fine with it for trade purposes, but many of these guys are borderline at best.

I was called a "clown" and then words were put in my mouth. I questioned if he could read because he apparently can't.

So much fail in this post . . . .

If you're going to try to insult someone's intelligence, you better make damn sure that you know what you're talking about, and that you actually took the time to read the post you're responding to.

Oh, and yes, I went to UConn. I'm one of the guys that increases the value of your degree.

Reaction Score
Leading Single A? Huge. Wasn't JBJ projected as a future HOF when he played in Greenville?

Just saw on Twitter that Yoan Moncada is 27-29 in SB attempts. Still a bust?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Leading Single A? Huge. Wasn't JBJ projected as a future HOF when he played in Greenville?

So he'll be a JBJ-level bust then. Got it, Sherlock.

Reaction Score
Actually, JBJ played his first full professional season with Advanced A Salem where is was pretty sensational. .359 BA .480 OBP with 52 walks against 40 K's. His second best season in the minors is this year at 3A Pawtucket where he is hitting .305 with a .382 OBP. He is a superb center fielder with a cannon for an arm. He is fast and oddly is one of the few players who has never been caught stealing. You may recall that he came out of South Carolina which is a very good baseball school. Why all of this has not translated into a solid major leaguer is a mystery to me. I fear that if we trade him, he may become very good somewhere.

Yoan Moncada just turned 20 and is playing regularly for the first time in a year. Since July 1 he has been hitting very well and perhaps the rust is wearing off. As I mentioned in an earlier post, he is very fast but has committed an alarming number of errors as a second baseman. Most of the throwing variety. He is a switch hitter. I think the Sox are considering moving him up but may keep him at Greenville as he adapts to life in the U.S.A.

Reaction Score
Just curious how Betts is a "borderline all star"? Pretty sure every major league roster has a "Betts" on it.
Mookie Betts is 29th in WAR in MLB.
There are only 2 other 22 year olds in the top 30 in WAR. Bryce Harper and Manny Machado.

But yep, every team has a "Betts" on it.

Keep up the good work genius.

Reaction Score
Liked his performance overall. I'd like to see him locate his fastball a bit better though and the 0-2 curveball to the LF (forgot his name) was brutal pitch selection....and that started his quick exit.
Owens has to locate his fastball because his velocity is below average. Nothing wrong with an 0-2 curveball as long as it isn't a strike; good call , bad execution.

Reaction Score
Betts is up to .282 and his numbers are really good for a leadoff guy minus OBP. I think that will get better with maturity though, he's a nice player.

JBJ is hotter than horse piss, hitting HR's at a clip he has never sen before. Is he rooming with Papi?

Reaction Score
Betts is up to .282 and his numbers are really good for a leadoff guy minus OBP. I think that will get better with maturity though, he's a nice player.

JBJ is hotter than horse piss, hitting HR's at a clip he has never sen before. Is he rooming with Papi?
Shame, shame, Mau. This young outfield had 9 hits yesterday to help your Yankees close the gap. You owe us.

Reaction Score
Shame, shame, Mau. This young outfield had 9 hits yesterday to help your Yankees close the gap. You owe us.

60's all good. But as far as Red Sox fans i owe you nothing ;) I gave credit to Mookie right?

Reaction Score
So he'll be a JBJ-level bust then. Got it, Sherlock.
I'll take that. JBJ's right shoulder is no longer flying out. He may be the best CF in baseball right now or at the very least one of them and I look to see Betts (who is also very good) moving to LF.
Besides pitching the only thing that concerns me with this team is power in the middle of the lineup especially after Papi retires.

Reaction Score
I'll take that. JBJ's right shoulder is no longer flying out. He may be the best CF in baseball right now or at the very least one of them and I look to see Betts (who is also very good) moving to LF.
Besides pitching the only thing that concerns me with this team is power in the middle of the lineup especially after Papi retires.

Yeah no doubt give me JBJ over McCutcheon all day! :eek: Smart move for Dombrowski is let him finish strong and trade his a** while his Kevin Maas end of year is hot and keep Mookie in CF. And I think he will.

Reaction Score
Here's a thought. Trade the Panda if you can. Move Hanley to third with the possibility of moving him to DH when Papi retires. Hanley's value is at an all-time low right now and the Sox would end up paying him anyway.

I really like the outfield as it is configured. The only one I'm not sure of is Castillo. Can't tell if he is inexperienced or he is the second coming of Smead Jolley.

Reaction Score
Here's a thought. Trade the Panda if you can. Move Hanley to third with the possibility of moving him to DH when Papi retires. Hanley's value is at an all-time low right now and the Sox would end up paying him anyway.

I really like the outfield as it is configured. The only one I'm not sure of is Castillo. Can't tell if he is inexperienced or he is the second coming of Smead Jolley.
Castillo has a gun for an arm, RF is probably his position. He is still learning and I think his decision making in all areas of the game has improved. Have to remember that he hadn't played for 2 years. All 3 can play CF. They won't be able to trade Panda unless they eat a lot of cash. 3B for Hanley makes a lot of sense and the Sox need his rh bat in the lineup.

Reaction Score
Castillo has a gun for an arm, RF is probably his position. He is still learning and I think his decision making in all areas of the game has improved. Have to remember that he hadn't played for 2 years. All 3 can play CF. They won't be able to trade Panda unless they eat a lot of cash. 3B for Hanley makes a lot of sense and the Sox need his rh bat in the lineup.

Guys I doubt Hanley can play anywhere anymore - the guy lost his agility in a HUGE way. Not sure why, I can only guess but this isn't close to the guy who played a decent SS a few back!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Guys I doubt Hanley can play anywhere anymore - the guy lost his agility in a HUGE way. Not sure why, I can only guess but this isn't close to the guy who played a decent SS a few back!

I think you're right. The Sox have to cut him loose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom