Red Sox prospects | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Red Sox prospects

Reaction Score
Regarding AL OF alone, Betts is tied for 9th in WAR and the youngest player of 26 OF who qualify based on plate appearances.

Reaction Score
Manuel Margot has great speed but has not hit particularly well in the minors. I haven't seen much that would make him a top prospect. Devers, Moncado and Guerra are still at single A Greenville. They are very young and none of them seems to have much plate discipline. None of them are hitting over .300. Moncado seems to be a great base stealer but he is also an awful defender. He cannot seem to make the throw from second to first.

Age is very important when evaluating a prospect.

Margot is 20 years old playing in AA. The average age of a pitcher in AA is almost 25. His OPS is nearly that of the league average. He's seen by scouts as a potential 5-tool player who can hit, run and field. He also had a shoulder injury that he tried to play through early in the year which probably affected him before landing on the DL.

Guerra is 19 playing in a league average of 21.5. I agree with you about his BB/K ratio but as a defensive-first player, he's slugging at a damn impressive .488 clip including 13 HR's while being regarded as a very good SS defender.

Devers is 18 in the same league and putting up an OPS better than the league average.

Moncada is on fire right now, .350 avg in the last 30 days....maybe the hottest hitter in the league and will likely be promoted to high A in the next month with a 2016 start at AA...at the age of 20.

all is good, relax. May have to wait 2 years for these guys to start knocking, but that's OK.

Reaction Score
Regarding AL OF alone, Betts is tied for 9th in WAR and the youngest player of 26 OF who qualify based on plate appearances.

Okay does this make him a borderline all star?

Reaction Score
Henry Owens was solid tonight. Keeps the ball down nicely and hangs in there. The fastball is 89-92 but his change is seemingly pretty good. Keep them in the game although there were some hard hit balls at people, but that's part of pitching. 1st inning also saw seeing eye ground balls for a run for the Yanks. Like his stuff, dying to see Severino for us tomorrow.

Reaction Score
As for just 2015 and new-age stats, if you want to use WAR he's tied for 22nd in the AL for position players (with Brett Gardner and Jose Bautista).

I like WAR, but it is idiotic that he is actually ahead of Gardner in WAR. OPS+ for Betts 105 OPS+ for Gardner 130

Betts: .265 AVG .317 OBO .438 SLG 52 R 10 HR 48 RBI 13 SB

Gard: .288 AVG .370 OBO .454 SLG 72 R 11 HR 49 RBI 15 SB

Gardner is a very good defensive player too. But obviously Betts hitting 3 more triples makes him a more valuable player than Gardner.

Reaction Score
I like WAR, but it is idiotic that he is actually ahead of Gardner in WAR. OPS+ for Betts 105 OPS+ for Gardner 130

Betts: .265 AVG .317 OBO .438 SLG 52 R 10 HR 48 RBI 13 SB

Gard: .288 AVG .370 OBO .454 SLG 72 R 11 HR 49 RBI 15 SB

I guess it depends on what site you use - Fangraphs have them as tied in WAR, Baseball Ref has Betts ahead - both sites have Betts as being better defensively this year than Gardner which accounts for the gap being closed.
Gardner's defensive sabermetric stats have been trending downward over the past 3 years or so.

Reaction Score
I don't know why it has to be limited to outfielders. I think every team certainly has a player or two in their early 20's that put up .265 / 10 /40 type stats.
Do the Yankees?

Reaction Score
Okay does this make him a borderline all star?
I guess it depends how you define borderline. If they take 5-7 OF and he's 9th in WAR for OF, then yeah. I'd say so. But others may disagree.

Reaction Score
Henry Owens was solid tonight. Keeps the ball down nicely and hangs in there. The fastball is 89-92 but his change is seemingly pretty good. Keep them in the game although there were some hard hit balls at people, but that's part of pitching. 1st inning also saw seeing eye ground balls for a run for the Yanks. Like his stuff, dying to see Severino for us tomorrow.
Liked his performance overall. I'd like to see him locate his fastball a bit better though and the 0-2 curveball to the LF (forgot his name) was brutal pitch selection....and that started his quick exit.

Reaction Score
you're really going to compare Gregorius to Betts?

Numbers are close Viking, age isn't that far either. Like what I've seen from him the last 2 months could be coming into his own so in this case yes why not? Is Betts 13 steals impressing me? They are both very good defenders and once Didi got over the replacing Jeter shock he has been real good. Let's not pretend they are that much different.

Reaction Score
Liked his performance overall. I'd like to see him locate his fastball a bit better though and the 0-2 curveball to the LF (forgot his name) was brutal pitch selection....and that started his quick exit.

Not sure how you can forget Young's name since he hits about .380 this year vs lefties and yes, to him you can't throw that pitch. But his location will be huge with only 89-92 on the fastball. For the most part he stayed down with it but made a couple mistakes. Thought he was pretty decent, looked like a kid.

Reaction Score
Age is very important when evaluating a prospect.

Margot is 20 years old playing in AA. The average age of a pitcher in AA is almost 25. His OPS is nearly that of the league average. He's seen by scouts as a potential 5-tool player who can hit, run and field. He also had a shoulder injury that he tried to play through early in the year which probably affected him before landing on the DL.

Guerra is 19 playing in a league average of 21.5. I agree with you about his BB/K ratio but as a defensive-first player, he's slugging at a damn impressive .488 clip including 13 HR's while being regarded as a very good SS defender.

Devers is 18 in the same league and putting up an OPS better than the league average.

Moncada is on fire right now, .350 avg in the last 30 days....maybe the hottest hitter in the league and will likely be promoted to high A in the next month with a 2016 start at AA...at the age of 20.

all is good, relax. May have to wait 2 years for these guys to start knocking, but that's OK.
In reviewing Baseball America's mid-season report on the top 50 prospects, the Sox have no one in the top 10. Their top prospect(#11) according to BA is 20 year-old Yoan Moncada. The comment is that the scouts have been under-whelmed by him so far. He is a great base stealer 25/27,but has committed way too many errors at second base. You are correct that he is hitting much better recently and it may be that he was rusty after having missed nearly a year. He has good size and could be an outfielder down the road.

The number 15 prospect is 18 year old Rafael Devers who is playing 3B. Devers is very young, appears to have a good bat but like Moncada has struggled defensively. Last year at 17 he was a sensation in the Rookie league but is struggling offensively at single A Greenville. He is probably several years away from Fenway.

The number 24 prospect is 20 year-old Manuel Margot. He was just promoted from Advanced A Salem to AA Portland. Margot is very fast and a great outfielder but has not shown much offensively so far. He could be the second coming of JBJ. He lacks good size at 5' 11" and 170 lbs.

The number 35 prospect is 24 year-old left-hander Brian Johnson. He has good size (6' 4" 245 lbs) but just an average fast ball. He has good control and has been solid everywhere he has pitched. He has been pitching at 3A Pawtucket and had one start with the Sox. He could be a middle of the rotation starter down the road but has some injury concerns. He just went on the DL with arm issues and spent most of his first year in the minors on the DL.

The final prospect for the Sox at #47 is 23 year-old Henry Owens. He is another left-hander and has good size at 6' 6" and 220 lbs. He made his major league debut last night in a tough venue and gave the Sox five solid innings. His fast ball is just average although he hit 93 last night and may be putting on some muscle. He has some control issues that he will have to overcome to become a reliable starter.

So there it is. Some could look at this list and be excited. I, just like some of the scouts, am under-whelmed. I see no "impact' players who are about to burst on the scene. The Sox have some great young players in Betts, Bogaerts, Swihart and Rodriquez, but they are a mediocre team who will need to invest heavily in the free-agent market if they want to be competitive in the near future.

Reaction Score
Even if you don't believe Betts is a borderline all-star yet, which is fine, it's funny how the pitchforks came out with that comment.

The first post in the thread commented how Sox fans overhype their young players....then Betts gets referred to as a borderline all star a few posts afterwards. Seems like my comment was aptly timed and appropriate.

Reaction Score
I don't know why it has to be limited to outfielders. I think every team certainly has a player or two in their early 20's that put up .265 / 10 /40 type stats.

Betts' "advanced" metrics point to him being a better player than I think he has been thus far, but I think it's nuts to say every team has a player like him at a similar age.

Through their full season's worth of at bats, and at age 22,

Betts: .274/15 HR/66 RBI/86 Runs/20 SB/.774 OPS

Robinson Cano: .297/14 HR/62 RBI/78 Runs/ 1 SB/.778 OPS

Better average for Cano, more steals for Betts. Otherwise, at 22, they were the same player.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Only an idiotic Red Sox fan would even come up with a reply like that but as always, typical ;)

I missed your denial of my assertion, so I'm going to assume that it's true...;)

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I think it's pretty clear that mau is just trolling super hard. Even if he believes what he's saying, I don't think he even cares about the debate so much as he just wants to get you guys fired up lol. Fairly classic mau.

Reaction Score
Betts' "advanced" metrics point to him being a better player than I think he has been thus far, but I think it's nuts to say every team has a player like him at a similar age.

Through their full season's worth of at bats, and at age 22,

Betts: .274/15 HR/66 RBI/86 Runs/20 SB/.774 OPS

Robinson Cano: .297/14 HR/62 RBI/78 Runs/ 1 SB/.778 OPS

Better average for Cano, more steals for Betts. Otherwise, at 22, they were the same player.

Alright I have a huge sum of cash in mind to say Betts never becomes Cano - you in Ex?

Reaction Score
I think it's pretty clear that mau is just trolling super hard. Even if he believes what he's saying, I don't think he even cares about the debate so much as he just wants to get you guys fired up lol. Fairly classic mau.

I know I would take Betts over Drew in a second. After that there is little to NO trolling involved. Why would there be?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I know I would take Betts over Drew in a second. After that there is little to NO trolling involved. Why would there be?

Because fans of first place teams enjoy needling fans of last place teams? Fairly standard procedure for discussing sports online IMO.

Reaction Score
The first post in the thread commented how Sox fans overhype their young players....then Betts gets referred to as a borderline all star a few posts afterwards. Seems like my comment was aptly timed and appropriate.

I don't know why anyone would embrace anything written in the first post as it was filled with pure BS.

Sort of like your inferences that every team has a couple of Mookie Betts on them.

Reaction Score
Numbers are close Viking, age isn't that far either. Like what I've seen from him the last 2 months could be coming into his own so in this case yes why not? Is Betts 13 steals impressing me? They are both very good defenders and once Didi got over the replacing Jeter shock he has been real good. Let's not pretend they are that much different.
Betts career OPS is 774 and OPS+ of 113
Gregorius career OPS is 672 and OPS + is 86

Betts OBP is slightly higher and SLG is much higher

Betts was an offensive force at every minor league level.

Gregorius is 2-3 years older than Betts.

Not sure what you're seeing. I'm not saying Didi is a bad player, but I don't think most people would rate him up near Mookie.

Reaction Score
In reviewing Baseball America's mid-season report on the top 50 prospects, the Sox have no one in the top 10. Their top prospect(#11) according to BA is 20 year-old Yoan Moncada. The comment is that the scouts have been under-whelmed by him so far. He is a great base stealer 25/27,but has committed way too many errors at second base. You are correct that he is hitting much better recently and it may be that he was rusty after having missed nearly a year. He has good size and could be an outfielder down the road.

The number 15 prospect is 18 year old Rafael Devers who is playing 3B. Devers is very young, appears to have a good bat but like Moncada has struggled defensively. Last year at 17 he was a sensation in the Rookie league but is struggling offensively at single A Greenville. He is probably several years away from Fenway.

The number 24 prospect is 20 year-old Manuel Margot. He was just promoted from Advanced A Salem to AA Portland. Margot is very fast and a great outfielder but has not shown much offensively so far. He could be the second coming of JBJ. He lacks good size at 5' 11" and 170 lbs.

The number 35 prospect is 24 year-old left-hander Brian Johnson. He has good size (6' 4" 245 lbs) but just an average fast ball. He has good control and has been solid everywhere he has pitched. He has been pitching at 3A Pawtucket and had one start with the Sox. He could be a middle of the rotation starter down the road but has some injury concerns. He just went on the DL with arm issues and spent most of his first year in the minors on the DL.

The final prospect for the Sox at #47 is 23 year-old Henry Owens. He is another left-hander and has good size at 6' 6" and 220 lbs. He made his major league debut last night in a tough venue and gave the Sox five solid innings. His fast ball is just average although he hit 93 last night and may be putting on some muscle. He has some control issues that he will have to overcome to become a reliable starter.

So there it is. Some could look at this list and be excited. I, just like some of the scouts, am under-whelmed. I see no "impact' players who are about to burst on the scene. The Sox have some great young players in Betts, Bogaerts, Swihart and Rodriquez, but they are a mediocre team who will need to invest heavily in the free-agent market if they want to be competitive in the near future.
Are you related to Eeyore?

Pretty funny you're paraphasing makes me think they should be in the top 200 let alone top 50. Obviously someone sees something in them. Like I said what they are doing at their age level is important. I'm not going to rehash it all though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom