Recruits and the injury factor | The Boneyard

Recruits and the injury factor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Many posters talk about why recruits should choose UConn, but it seems one big issue never gets mentioned: injuries. Say you are a recruit or a recruit's parents. Nobody likes to think about injuries, but they're a fact of life, especially in WCBB. Who would you rather have managing your athlete's recovery in case of injury, Rosemary Ragle or... anybody else? Most people know UConn has the best coaching staff, but Rosemary is a big reason UConn has the best program. Kaleena calls her "God". 'Nuff said.

Does anybody know how much training goes into avoiding injuries? I know some football programs do this, but is it part of top basketball programs? I saw where a huge part of judo training is learning to fall correctly. A key is avoiding breaking the fall with one point, say a hand or an elbow. The trick is to spread the impact over as much of the body as possible. Are basketball players taught this? One could imaging a training film consisting of incidents that led to injuries, or didn't. Many factors go into whether an incident results in injury, and surely some of them can be taught. The body's natural reaction may not be optimal. If there are ways to avoid injuries, they have to be learned below the level of instinctive reaction.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Does anybody know how much training goes into avoiding injuries?
I remember a few years ago they talked about working with the girls on jumping and landing. They talked about girls not jumping and landing the ways boys do naturally. The girls put more stress on their knees the way they do it, which they thought might lead to more ACL problems. Although I believe they think there are other factors, this was one they could work on.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I remember a few years ago they talked about working with the girls on jumping and landing. They talked about girls not jumping and landing the ways boys do naturally. The girls put more stress on their knees the way they do it, which they thought might lead to more ACL problems. Although I believe they think there are other factors, this was one they could work on.
The box jump and landing test is one way they can identify those more vulnerable to ACLs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom