Recruiting vs. Providence | The Boneyard

Recruiting vs. Providence

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Ever since Coach Cooley signed on at Providence, it seems like they've been leagues ahead of us in recruiting. He's nabbed a good number of quality players from New England and beyond. Do you think he has more of a hold on recruits? More than Ollie and UConn?

Here are some recruiting battles that I've taken notice over:

• Ricardo Ledo - PC
  • Kris Dunn - PC
  • Kentan Facey - UC
  • Amida Brimah - undecided
  • Brandon Austin - PC
  • Jared Terrell - undecided
  • Goodluck Okonoboh - undecided
Obviously it isn't a lot of evidence (only 2-3 years), but if PC keeps nabbing our recruits, could we see a shift in the dominant team in New England? I say no, but what do you think? Thoughts on recruiting?

Reaction Score
I think the ex- ast uconn coach i think played a factor

Reaction Score
Ever since Coach Cooley signed on at Providence, it seems like they've been leagues ahead of us in recruiting. He's nabbed a good number of quality players from New England and beyond. Do you think he has more of a hold on recruits? More than Ollie and UConn?

Here are some recruiting battles that I've taken notice over:

• Ricardo Ledo - PC
  • Kris Dunn - PC
  • Kentan Facey - UC
  • Amida Brimah - undecided
  • Brandon Austin - PC
  • Jared Terrell - undecided
  • Goodluck Okonoboh - undecided
Obviously it isn't a lot of evidence (only 2-3 years), but if PC keeps nabbing our recruits, could we see a shift in the dominant team in New England? I say no, but what do you think? Thoughts on recruiting?

Questionable as to whether Ledo was offered and qualified. Was he?

Dunn didn't see PT at UConn. He was even attached to Drummond and still didn't come. He had an offer though, so he's considered a loss, but this sort of loss is the kind that even Calhoun whiffed on in the past (i.e. when UConn had a logjam at th position)

Austin is the first real loss to PC that I see.

It has quite a bit to do with Ollie's contract, I'm speculating.

Okonoboh, I believe, is Alex Oriakhi's cousin. Remains to be seen if feelings of muumuu run in the family.

caw

Reaction Score
Ummm no. Cooley joined PC in March 2011. If you are talking New England kids you have to include Drummond. If you are talking head to head recruiting you have to include Boatright and Drummond. I'm not sure how big they were on Facey, similar to how UConn wasn't huge on Dunn.

PC has always done decently with kids in NE, ie Coleman.

If PC had landed Selden, McCullough, Noel, or Vonleh then we would be talking about a shift in New England. I think if anything none of those four coming to UConn shows how tenuous UConn's situation with Ollie is right now and how much Oriahki hurt UConn.

Austin is really the only recruit UConn has gone hard after and lost to PC since Cooley joined PC. 2014 will be a big year However, if UConn gets someone like say Aaron but loses Terrell to Cooley it may not matter. Austin hurts a bit bc he was UConns backup option at the 2 guard.

UConn has almost always drawn from across the country and not exclusively on the East coast or NE. New York recruits are also huge for UConn, historically and UConn is still doing really well there (Facey, Samuel, Calhoun).

Reaction Score
He's my take. Based on where the programs are you have 2 different pitches competing;; against each other. From our side here is where we think you fit into our program. If you work hard this is how we think fit into our program. Providence, oh you want to play x position! yeah you can do that here.

The programs are at.2 different levels. One is about you assimilating? into a program and relinquishing the "I" and embracing the we. The other is we can give "you" what you want. How can we make it work.
They might beat us here and there head up. But were are they going? Don't worry yourself with the meek we have national titles to chase.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
can we have a thread pinned until ollie gets an extension or something else happens. so we can talk about his contract, other coaches and "lack" of recruiting due to his contract? so everyone can say what they want and not have 40 different threads with the same stuff repeated... just a suggestion

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
keep this thread in the running for a march hanging when we bandwagon another team...

C

Chief00

It will be interesting to see how many of these guys will actually play in a game for PC? While I am told NBA scouts are watching Ledo in practice; they run a serious risk of being force to forfeit any game he plays in.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
but we landed Drummond, Daniels & Calhoun

part of Jimmy's problem in recent years was taking kids that all wanted to be starters with extended playing time, so they transfer. That makes us a bad academic institution y'know

maybe we need a few more roll players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01