Recruiting Spotlight: XRM | The Boneyard

Recruiting Spotlight: XRM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://blog.ctnews.com/uconnbasketball/2012/06/28/recruiting-spotlight-xavier-rathan-mayes/

Huge Praise for Ollie:

He has no official favorites today, with the exception of UConn assistant Kevin Ollie, who drew the grandest of reviews from the rising senior.
“He’s just a great guy,” Rathan Mayes said. “He cares about the program and stuff, but he cares about you as a person. That’s a really good feeling for me and my family. He’s just a great guy at heart, somebody that I can talk to about basketball, but things off the court, my personal life, and that’s special to be able to have that with the coach of a school…There’s not too many like coach Ollie.”
Rathan Mayes continued: “If (Ollie) became the head coach, that would be really special, just seeing the relationship that we have together. I think it would impact (my decision) a little bit more if he was the head coach.”

Reaction Score
Love hearing these comments from recruits about KO, he's not the first to say this in these reports posted by Duffy.

Reaction Score
http://blog.ctnews.com/uconnbasketball/2012/06/28/recruiting-spotlight-xavier-rathan-mayes/

Huge Praise for Ollie:

He has no official favorites today, with the exception of UConn assistant Kevin Ollie, who drew the grandest of reviews from the rising senior.
“He’s just a great guy,” Rathan Mayes said. “He cares about the program and stuff, but he cares about you as a person. That’s a really good feeling for me and my family. He’s just a great guy at heart, somebody that I can talk to about basketball, but things off the court, my personal life, and that’s special to be able to have that with the coach of a school…There’s not too many like coach Ollie.”
Rathan Mayes continued: “If (Ollie) became the head coach, that would be really special, just seeing the relationship that we have together. I think it would impact (my decision) a little bit more if he was the head coach.”
The writing is on th wall-he's our next coach.

caw

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie and Ray Allen together as Uconn coaches! Lets go!

Does that mean chicken and white rice before every game for the whole team? ;)

Reaction Score
Where are all the Ollie naysayers right now? Usually any thread related to who the next coach will be is filled with posters saying Ollie would be a terrible pick or Ollie is not as good as Stevens and Smart. As more and more articles and tweets surface about how much recruits respect and love Ollie, the Ollie haters have started to post less frequently.

Reaction Score
Where are all the Ollie naysayers right now? Usually any thread related to who the next coach will be is filled with posters saying Ollie would be a terrible pick or Ollie is not as good as Stevens and Smart. As more and more articles and tweets surface about how much recruits respect and love Ollie, the Ollie haters have started to post less frequently.

You just sounded the bullhorn for Huskymaniac & freescooter. Not sure when Huskymaniac is allowed his 1 hour for recreation but he should be here any minute now.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I've gone on record saying I want Ollie as the next coach. But most posters that argue against, aren't worried about his recruiting, rather his ability to win games from the sidelines. X & O he needs experience. This to me, seems like a Free yr, to practice some. JC has a few bad back days.

Reaction Score
I think he could/should be our top recruit for this class. Only problem is hiis game is very close to o. Calhoun

Reaction Score
I think he could/should be our top recruit for this class. Only problem is hiis game is very close to o. Calhoun

Going forward Omar will be the only natural SG we have on the roster with size, we need depth.

Reaction Score
Ollie has the best "played for effective coaches" and in systems where x and o's were world class (and he was a point guard who was kept around while not ever being considered "starter" type talent); kind of experience 99% of existing Div 1 coaches wish they had. Where did Calhoun learn, he pretty much taught himself; if Ollie has as great a "recruiting/kids" orientation as some have mentioned, hard to imagine his x and o's wouldn't be good enough (never mind likely real good).

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
for over a year now i have been saying its ko/kh. glad some of this board is finally liking it. i LOVED how ko and kh carried themselves around the trinity players last year among others. they are the future and it will be great! 2014 kids will be ko/kh first real class without JC influence.

Reaction Score
I wasn't always sold on Ollie being our next coach but it has become clear that he will be a beast of a recruiter and he is a tireless worker, getting the best players is the most important part of coaching.

Reaction Score
I'd be very happy with Ollie, but Shaka would be my first choice if interested

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score

Wasn't necessarily down on Ollie, I just always had the mindset that UConn has become a national figure in the sport of college basketball, and it deserved the respect of holding a national search for our next best coach. And if that coach is Ollie, I'd be more than happy, I just think the program is too huge for us not to see who's interested, ya know.

I'll tell you what though, the way Ollie is taking care or business it's gonna be damn hard not to pass the baton to him. I'm excited, no way UConn Bball fades into the background!

Reaction Score

Huge Praise for Ollie:

If that doesn't point to the impact of declaring KO as the Coach-in-waiting on recruiting, I don't know what would! I really think the AD should make this move now. It's not like Stevens, Smart or some other hot young coach are a slam dunk to decide to coach in Storrs, so why not go all in for KO and see how he does. If it doesn't work out, then change directions. It's often the coach who follows the coach that followed the legend who pulls the program back to greatness. IMO, no matter how good a coach you get, if your talent level drops off, the program can fall on hard times for a spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom