Recee' Caldwell Transferring from UCLA | The Boneyard

Recee' Caldwell Transferring from UCLA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
More and more I am suspecting that schools are cleaning up their acts as far as academics and "academic counselors" are concerned. I've never seen so many elite level freshmen leave schools like this year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
More and more I am suspecting that schools are cleaning up their acts as far as academics and "academic counselors" are concerned. I've never seen so many elite level freshmen leave schools like this year.

most of the elite transfers have been sophomores......

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

You may have identified some reaction to what is being exposed at UNC -- counselors and coaches getting cold feet about helping athletes cut corners to remain eligible to play.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hmmm, that was a nice class. Caldwell, Canada, Drummer, Billings, Hayes

Still with Fields, Korver, Canada, Drummer, Hearn, they should have a decent team this "rising" season.

Reaction Score
Looks like D1 High Major Women's College Basket Ball has now caught up with the Men... Transfers a plenty... Expectations coming in then reality sets in after you get there are totally different.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Sister Desiree is a highly-regarded 2017 or 2017 prospect; I'd expect some sort of package deal . . .

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Caldwell quit her high school team early in her junior season and did not play her senior season. She played only 17 games as a freshman for UCLA because of injury. Now, assuming she transfers to another Div 1 school, she will have to sit out a year before playing. Discounting any AAU ball she may have played between her junior and senior years in high school, she will have played 17 organized games in a 4-year span. Maybe she likes the idea of being a basketball player.

HGN

Reaction Score
Caldwell quit her high school team early in her junior season and did not play her senior season. She played only 17 games as a freshman for UCLA because of injury. Now, assuming she transfers to another Div 1 school, she will have to sit out a year before playing. Discounting any AAU ball she may have played between her junior and senior years in high school, she will have played 17 organized games in a 4-year span. Maybe she likes the idea of being a basketball player.
UConnCat , that's a good observation and excellent point.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You may have identified some reaction to what is being exposed at UNC -- counselors and coaches getting cold feet about helping athletes cut corners to remain eligible to play.
I am not buying this being academic in nature - I do not believe we have seen this sudden spike happening in other sports, and these students are finding homes pretty quickly at comparable academic schools.
It looks more like an aberrational thing specific to 2013 recruiting, or perhaps the tip of the iceberg in terms of 'professionalism' creeping into women's basketball? A desire to maximize exposure/marketability for post college ball?

HGN

Reaction Score
Wow.........This scrambling around of players reminds me of someone stepping on a ant hill and all the little ants come running out in all directions. Perhap its lack of PT for some , and academics for others ; homesickness ; and maybe even the realization that a NC cannot be won. But whatever it is , its causing more change than global warming.

If the Huskies can just remain intact with the players scheduled to come back , and with the incoming class , UConn could win its 4th straight NC by being one of the few teams with a stable roster.

Reaction Score
I'm with UCMiami. I think that the game is changing. Geno said it when he scoffed at high school juniors calling press conferences to announce the list of schools that they are considering. Schools hold assemblies and local nespapers gush as if each HS athlete will someday be Catchings or Taurasi.

I agree with HGN and others that once they get to measure themselves against other elite athletes in demanding programs a reality sets in that they may not be treated with kid gloves and that their chosen school may not appreciate their "game".

And then there's the Lebron/Miami spectacle. If top professional athletes can "arrange" ideal situations for themselves why can't women college basketball players?

All of this just adds to the respect we have for the UCONN staff. We all wondered "why Molly?" before we read about her character and work ethic. Geno is, and always has been, right; he recruits more than just physical talent.

We've had transfers out (primarily over playing time) but our girls have bought into the team concept very well. (it's fair to say that ND, Stanford and several other programs have as well). From there coaching takes over, and we have the best staff in the country.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Read this thread makes you realize what Geno has built and everybody in on board He runs a tight ship with no exceptions. It really makes you realize where he's at and where is team is at. Its really amazing.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Read this thread makes you realize what Geno has built and everybody in on board He runs a tight ship with no exceptions. It really makes you realize where he's at and where is team is at. Its really amazing.
And it's clear that UConn is not for everyone. It probably is getting tougher to find kids that Geno and CD like, but the results are still fabulous.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In fairness, while UCONN may not have lost a TON of high level recruits, depending on who you ask, Elena Delle Donne, Samarie Walker and Sadie Edwards were all top 20 kids. Throw in Michala Johnson, who maybe wasn't as elite, but certainly became a very good player once her injuries healed, and UCONN has had an exodus just like other programs.

UCONN transfers since 2008 - Delle Donne, Walker, Johnson, Engeln, and Edwards. It remains to be seen how good Edwards is, but 3 of the other 4 were certainly very good players...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In fairness, while UCONN may not have lost a TON of high level recruits, depending on who you ask, Elena Delle Donne, Samarie Walker and Sadie Edwards were all top 20 kids. Throw in Michala Johnson, who maybe wasn't as elite, but certainly became a very good player once her injuries healed, and UCONN has had an exodus just like other programs.

UCONN transfers since 2008 - Delle Donne, Walker, Johnson, Engeln, and Edwards. It remains to be seen how good Edwards is, but 3 of the other 4 were certainly very good players...
I'd call EDD very good. :) I still want to see her on the court with Maya and Tina. I have tickets for Rio 2016!

Reaction Score
TRANSFERS, TRANSFERS, TRANSFERS. Since the beginning of the NCAA there have always been both women and men transferring from program to program. But it appears that in the last couple of years it really seems to have hit the women's programs hard. As noted above there are several reasons, changes within the coaching staff, lack of playing time, personal issues or really good players moving from a mid-major program to a high profile program. But rarely have we seen the teams leading stars leave one high profile program to attend another high profile program. North Carolina's women's program is currently involved in an entire new issue and I don't know if we will ever know the true reasons these young ladies decided to leave. But it is clear something is amiss as several players are abandoning the ship. I do believe that other Universities have taken notice and are currently reevaluating their own academic issues to make sure that they don't become the "next" North Carolina. It is my belief that it is easier for coaches to evaluate the basketball skills of their recruits then their desire to fit in and become a member of their respective teams. What makes UCONN standout is that Geno and his staff appear to take fitting in and becoming a member of their team more seriously then their piers. Of course winning TEN NC does help in Geno's ability to recruit several top level players each year. This allows him to be more selective in his recruitment then other coaches who can't always take personalities into consideration and will take anyone if they possess a high level of basketball skills. As I stated in an earlier post, I am a diehard UCONN Women's Basketball fan and adopt each and every player without exception. So when a player transfers, I take it personally and wonder if anything could have been done to prevent it. But alas some times it benefits both the team and player (S. Walker for example). I'm sure that Geno possesses a lot more information pertaining to why these high caliber players are transferring, but I haven't read anything that would make you believe that UCONN has any interest in any of them. LET THE SEASON BEGIN.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

You forgot about Banks. And I'm not sure if you should even count Delle Donne.

Reaction Score
Hmmm, that was a nice class. Caldwell, Canada, Drummer, Billings, Hayes

Still with Fields, Korver, Canada, Drummer, Hearn, they should have a decent team this "rising" season.

True. Also, with Canada getting more USABB experience this summer, she should come back as an even more efficient play-maker and scorer. I guess Caldwell felt that her growth (and exposure, as some have noted) would be limited if she remained.

Let's not forget that UCLA did not have nearly as good of a season as most predicted...maybe this move is more an indication of Caldwell's dissatisfaction with her role on the team than anything else. I doubt academics had anything to do with this.

Reaction Score
Elena left for family considerations, and she has been even more outstanding as a pro

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
She could always go JUCO for the upcoming season, play immediately, and then transfer to a D-1 school for her final two season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You forgot about Banks. And I'm not sure if you should even count Delle Donne.
Yep good catch! I was tired I guess. Another top recruit who left UCONN. I'd say more top players have left UCONN in the past 4-5 years than most other programs out there.

Reaction Score
Sister Desiree is a highly-regarded 2017 or 2017 prospect; I'd expect some sort of package deal . . .

the sister is 2018, ranked #6 at the point. they would only overlap 1 year but certainly wherever Recee lands might be a favorite for the lil sis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom