Rebounding | The Boneyard

Rebounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Firstly, there is a ton to be excited about. Boatright and Brimah both played well beyond my expectations. I'm not sure any freshman in UConn history got a standing O in their first minute of court action like Mida did tonight.

But let's not fail to point out that Ollie was looking for us to dominate the boards tonight, and we were a -6 after emphasizing it the first 3 weeks of practice and every opportunity in the press. That is concerning.

Now that said, holding a team to shooting in the 30s (20s
Most of the game) and taking away the paint completely with the block did influence that figure a bit.

Reaction Score
I figured this would be a subject of concern, and it's certainly an area we need to improve in, however, raw rebounding totals can be a bit misleading. When you play vastly inferior opponents, there tends to be a lot of long rebounds and blocked shots. Again, we need to improve, but it's not something I pay a great deal of credence to when the final margin is as lopsided as it was tonight.

Reaction Score
I figured this would be a subject of concern, and it's certainly an area we need to improve in, however, raw rebounding totals can be a bit misleading. When you play vastly inferior opponents, there tends to be a lot of long rebounds and blocked shots. Again, we need to improve, but it's not something I pay a great deal of credence to when the final margin is as lopsided as it was tonight.

Fair point no doubt but the "effort" was not good as they did not box out enough and they need to in order to be successful moving forward.......If they were finding a man and losing to log rebounds and loose rebounds it would be different but there were many in which they didn't find a body and kind of lolly-gagged to the ball thinking it was theirs.......that needs to and will stop. As KO said they'll find out at practice today.

Reaction Score
It was our first block party in a while. How many rebounds is a block worth?

Reaction Score

Well it depends....if they go out of bounds all the time not a lot. How many rebounds is a missed block worth?

Hey I'm all for blocks and contested shots but at the end of the day you can't get out rebounded by SCSU on any night........improvement will be required on that.

Reaction Score
With Phil, Amida, DeAndre and Facey, rebounding will be just fine. You can throw away stats from an exhibition game against a DII opponent. Amida has such great upside, I am really looking forward to watching him develop.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I was more concerned with the number of times one of our bigs got the first hand on a board, but failed to secure it, than I was with a lack of boxing out.

Reaction Score
W

Well it depends....if they go out of bounds all the time not a lot. How many rebounds is a missed block worth?

Hey I'm all for blocks and contested shots but at the end of the day you can't get out rebounded by SCSU on any night........improvement will be required on that.

Exactly !!!!! A rebound gives you possession, but a block may not. I love to see a shot get swatted away, but sometimes you can get block happy and try to block everything which can give up easy put backs. Blocks need to compliment rebounding and defensive positioning but can not replace them.

caw

Reaction Score
Nolan played 11 minutes, was not in serious foul trouble, an had 6 boards. I'd venture that if he played 25 minutes the boards would be in UConns favor.

Ollie was trying things out. Brimah, while excellent in many aspects, needs work in his boarding (similar to some other UConn shot blockers, it takes him from rebounding position).

Daniels was fine on the boards.

It may still be a problem, but I think expanding Nolans minutes should help a lot.

Not much you can take away from this aside from knowing UConn can still win games while it loses the rebounding battle.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Exactly !!!!! A rebound gives you possession, but a block may not. I love to see a shot get swatted away, but sometimes you can get block happy and try to block everything which can give up easy put backs. Blocks need to compliment rebounding and defensive positioning but can not replace them.

The blocks vs. rebounding thing is tough because 10 blocks is worth another 5 missed shots inside due to changing the oppositions approaches to the rim or whether they even attempt to score inside. SCSU shot 30% for the game. When you cant score inside and your overall shooting % drops as a result, extra possessions start to hurt less. Especially when you come down with the board in the paint and miss the secondary attempt because of the lurking presence. I'm okay with giving up a few out of position put backs for the intimidation factor. We went to two final fours that way.

However! There were other times we were simply beat by tipped balls or the like. I specifically remember one play where one of Southern's players when right around Brimah to take a rebound away from him that he should have been in position for. Nolan was the only one "hitting someone first" as Ollie likes to say. For everything 'Mida appears to have added to our team, that's where he'll need to improve to see court time. We're one (exhibition) game in. Of course there's kinks. The positives far outweigh the improvement needs. Just wanted to acknowledge it remains an issue.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score

One blocked shot equals one rebound. A rebound is a point in time when you have regained possession of the ball without the other team scoring (except rebounds off free throws) or giving your team a second chance to score off a missed shot. A block does not indicate a change in possession, but does prevent the opportunity for the shot to go in rather than hoping it doesn't and hoping for the opportunity to corral the carom. It should also be noted from an academic perspective that certain, special blocked shots also have the "get your Mother <king a on the floor and spread 'em b1tch" effect that is important for creating team swagger and intimidating opponents, for which it is difficult to place a value. So, in conclusion I am going to rely on the 1:1 ratio as the best indicator of rebound to block shot value.

Reactions: caw

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
I specifically remember one play where one of Southern's players when right around Brimah to take a rebound away from him that he should have been in position for.

I posted this in another thread about Amidah:

"As I recall, they broke out the sand buckets for Thabeet to increase his hand strength. Brimah is going to have to work on his rebounding and hand strength - I recall a play where a guard pulled a rebound away from him. That being said, what I saw last night has made me ECSTATIC. From what we've heard about his work ethic and the aggression I saw in the game, I have these visions in my head of Brimah engaging in Rocky like workouts - chasing chickens, slamming his hands down into buckets of sand, punching skinned cow carcasses hanging from meat hooks in freezers, and traveling back to Ghana to engage in hand-to-hand combat with lions."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom