Rasheed credits Uncle Cliffy... | The Boneyard

Rasheed credits Uncle Cliffy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
..with teaching him how to take care of his body for a long career. They probably had the conversations over a couple of doobies, but so what. It's a small footnote in a nice article about Wallace & Jerry Stackhouse.

"Wallace credits Cliff Robinson with teaching him how to take care of his body from their days together in Portland. "I was fortunate to come in on a team that had a bunch of veteran players, such as Clyde Drexler, Jerome Kersey, Buck Williams, Terry Porter — you can go down the line," said Robinson, who had an 18-year NBA career. "They instilled into me that keeping your body in good physical shape was the key to having longevity. I was just paying it forward with Rasheed and the other young players.""

Reaction Score
Can anyone give me a little insight on Cliff? He was a little before my time and I recently learned that he wasn't even a Calhoun recruit. What did his career look like at UConn?

Reaction Score
Looking back ... I don't think we realized how very talented Cliff Robinson was. And since we didn't follow HS recruiting intensely in that era, there was no great expectation from his courtship. We certainly heard lots about CT kids; but, not Robinson from Buffalo. He was long with great skills. A legit 6-11. But, he wasn't ever focused full possessions like we came to expect from Calhoun kids.

Given his inconsistent UConn play, few of us expected great things from this second round guy. But, he showed the same skill set as a pro ... Just more workmanlike. He was born talented & he made the most of NBA opportunities. Stayed healthy.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yeah, he was a Perno recruit. He was inconsistent, but talented. Could shoot the J, rebound and block shots. He fell into the second draft round unexpectedly and laughed all the way to the bank. The famous story about him at the draft was that he was invited to attend, and was in the waiting area with other expected first rounders. He was very embarrassed not to have been picked.

I was at a game his freshman year when they were playing CCSU. He got into a scuffle and Perno took him out. He stood at the far end of the bench, scowling and refusing to sit. This went on for over 5 minutes and at 6'11" he certainly was blocking the views for several people. We speculated that Perno was afraid to confront him and it finally took Earl Kelley to go to Cliffy and calm him down.

Reaction Score
Very fast for a player his size up and down the floor. Even with an air cast on for a few games. Would pout if he felt he was open and nobody got him the ball.

Reaction Score
I remember the Bulls drafted Stacy King #3, overall then I believe they took another 6'9" kid, I think Jeff Sanders out of Georgia Southern at 19. Cliff was the only player left at the draft. Couldn't believe he fell to the second round. There were some real stiffs that were drafted before him, and there was never any doubt as to his talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom