UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Wow my team can't defend their offense so let me make excuses and cry about it

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
This is the same thing Diaco has said.

Not quite. Diaco said it before the game and was making a point about exactly what the rules were. I interpreted that as getting in refs head.

Randy is complaining after the game when he just looks like a bad loser.

Reaction Score
Not quite. Diaco said it before the game and was making a point about exactly what the rules were. I interpreted that as getting in refs head.

Randy is complaining after the game when he just looks like a bad loser.

Yes the timing is different but the content is the same. I also believe he's made comments about this in the offseason as well.

Reaction Score
Yes, Diaco and Saban have made reference to it as well, and they're all wrong.

Reaction Score
Wow my team can't defend their offense so let me make excuses and cry about it

I see he's taking the Nick Saban approach to spread offenses. "I can't defend them so lets outlaw them."

Reaction Score
I see he's taking the Nick Saban approach to spread offenses. "I can't defend them so lets outlaw them."

I actually think there's a lot of validity to the concerns. How to address it I'm not sure. But the concerns are valid regarding player safety.

Reaction Score
I actually think there's a lot of validity to the concerns. How to address it I'm not sure. But the concerns are valid regarding player safety.

I'm the exact opposite. I'm very dismissive of the player safety claim.

Reaction Score

I don't know if it's safe to run these high speed offenses or not, I'm merely saying that people like Saban, who built their castle on big, overpowering lines, are getting their feathers ruffled because they don't have the personel to keep up with such offenses. If it's truly over players' safety, then these coaches should be demanding studies/data collection to be done to either prove or disprove the unsafeness of high octane offenses. But when Saban and now Edsall coming out saying it should be banned, they just look like poor losers because they don't know how to coach against it.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Once Saban figures out how to stop it....he won't be as concerned about player safety.

Reaction Score
Randy submitted 12 plays to B1G officials for review. He's getting blown up on twitter for appearing to be a crybaby.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it's safe to run these high speed offenses or not, I'm merely saying that people like Saban, who built their castle on big, overpowering lines, are getting their feathers ruffled because they don't have the personel to keep up with such offenses. If it's truly over players' safety, then these coaches should be demanding studies/data collection to be done to either prove or disprove the unsafeness of high octane offenses. But when Saban and now Edsall coming out saying it should be banned, they just look like poor losers because they don't know how to coach against it.

Saban doesn't seemed to concerned about player safety when his teams play fcs teams. The disparity in talent, size, and strength between his his teams and those teams would more likely result in player injury than his team against the Oregons of the world.

Reaction Score
Randy goes to sleep with WV offenses in his mind and wakes up in cold sweats. Doesn't matter if R-Rod is the coach or Holgerson.

Reaction Score
"I think there's a problem in college football...."

Sure there is Randy, starting with you leaving your team behind after they gave their heart and soul in the Fiesta Bowl so you could make sure you never coached them again.

And then you have Bob Diaco who takes a promotion and still goes back to ND with his door open so his defensive players who were b*tching on twitter could talk to him face to face.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I can't remember if it was when he was still at uconn or not but I seem to remember him at least being involved with a group of coaches who a few years ago submitted a proposal for a rule change requiring a minimum amount of time between snaps under the guise of player safety.

Reaction Score
"If Edsall can't find a way to get his defense off the field, his first season with the Terps in the Big Ten could be a difficult one."

The last sentence in that article is really what it comes down to no? You want your defense to spend less time on the field force more punts on third down. I'm sure you weren't worried about the health and safety of opposing defenses when you were executing methodical offenses that churned out first down after first down on the ground. It may have not been as flashy as what Oregon or WVU or Baylor try to do, but it had the same cumulative effect I would imagine. This teams just end more drives in touchdowns, while we often bogged down and got FG attempts.

Reaction Score
The hurry-up spread offense is one of the best things ever to happen in college football.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
100 offensive plays is bad, but not life time scholarships?

Reaction Score
Randy has a way of saying whiny things at just the wrong time. He really is a poor loser and deflector of blame. I miss winning games but I don't miss him at all.

The first time another coach gets us 8-9 wins will be the last time I look back at the Edsall era pining for what was.

Reaction Score
Randy has a way of saying whiny things at just the wrong time. He really is a poor loser and deflector of blame. I miss winning games but I don't miss him at all.

The first time another coach gets us 8-9 wins will be the last time I look back at the Edsall era pining for what was.
I am just soooo thankful Coach Calhoun waited for Hathaway to be gone to retire. Motherfugger would have probably had Judd Heathcoate, Rollie Massamino, and Lou Carnesseca as his finalists.

Reaction Score
"If Edsall can't find a way to get his defense off the field, his first season with the Terps in the Big Ten could be a difficult one."

The last sentence in that article is really what it comes down to no? You want your defense to spend less time on the field force more punts on third down. I'm sure you weren't worried about the health and safety of opposing defenses when you were executing methodical offenses that churned out first down after first down on the ground. It may have not been as flashy as what Oregon or WVU or Baylor try to do, but it had the same cumulative effect I would imagine. This teams just end more drives in touchdowns, while we often bogged down and got FG attempts.

The safety issue isn't due to the number of plays themselves. It's due to not being able to substitute defensively. Guys are running around gassed and when that happens, you are vulnerable to getting hurt. I don't know how anyone can even argue that.

Now, what is fair, is to question the motives of guys like Saban, Bielema, Edsall, Diaco, etc. Are they TRULY concerned about player safety or do they just have trouble defending it? The safety issue, while it may provide adequate cover for them, is a legit issue.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The safety issue isn't due to the number of plays themselves. It's due to not being able to substitute defensively. Guys are running around gassed and when that happens, you are vulnerable to getting hurt. I don't know how anyone can even argue that.

Now, what is fair, is to question the motives of guys like Saban, Bielema, Edsall, Diaco, etc. Are they TRULY concerned about player safety or do they just have trouble defending it? The safety issue, while it may provide adequate cover for them, is a legit issue.

I believe there is still a question if it truly is a legit issue. Is there data to support that position? It's not like the offense is fresh either....both teams should be on equal footing. Reacting can cause more energy to be used...so the defense could be more tired...but...it's not like a tired defense is going against a freshly substituted offense.

I thnk they need data to support their position. And by data...I don't mean RE isolated plays.

I would take their claim more serious if a coach who doesn't have bias made these statements. Either a coach who runs the uptempo.....or a coach who successfully defends uptempo. Or a retired coach who doesn't have ties to a uptempo program or uptempo offense challenged program.

As long as its team who lose to uptempo programs complaining....it's hard to take serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom