Question about rebounding statistic | The Boneyard

Question about rebounding statistic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You have to expect that we aren't going to out-rebound too many (any??) teams in conference play. I also don't think that we have anyone coming in, or any prospects for next year, who are going to make a drastic rebounding impact. The blame for this gets placed solely on the shoulders of Warde Manual, who has virtually destroyed Coach Ollie's ability to recruit by refusing to give him a long term contract.

The question is: Has anyone seen any rebounding statistics for the Big East, or even in the NCAA Tourney, on how often a team gets out-rebounded but still wins?

Reaction Score
I think today will tell you a little more. These are the types of teams now we expect to see, bigger and stronger and while I do not believe we need to "win" the battle on the boards I do believe our kids need to be competitive. Today and in the conference you cannot bet beat by double figures on the boards night in-night out and expect to come out on top.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
2003-2004 St. Joseph's got out-rebounded every game and they won 30+ games and went to the Elite 8.

Reaction Score
2003-2004 St. Joseph's got out-rebounded every game and they won 30+ games and went to the Elite 8.

Easier to do when you play UMass twice.....lol........interesting stat there. One thing we know if we get out-rebounded every game we will not go the the Elite 8.......

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Easier to do when you play UMass twice.....lol........interesting stat there. One thing we know if we get out-rebounded every game we will not go the the Elite 8.......

Haha yeah good point. They played in a weak A10 conference while we're playing in the Big East. Huge difference. I doubt we'd go undefeated in the A10 this year too.

Reaction Score
I recall a mid-major team that finished last and led their league in rebounding margin (which is where you need to look - the total number of rebounds is more of a reflection of tempo).

A few factors can be involved in that statistic beyond just simply being a good rebounding team (which we are not).

Odds favor the defensive team on the boards (70 percent or so). So - all things being equal - if more shots happen to be missed on one of the floor, that defensive team should have an advantage. Therefore, if you have a big edge in turnover margin, you may lose the battle of the boards, since those are shots your opponents never get to take. Our 1989-90 team was small and probably was outrebounded a lot, but our press was lethal.

Offensive efficiency is also important. If you shoot a terrible percentage, you are creating more defensive rebounds for your opponents (and if you allow your opponents to shoot a high percentage, you are creating less for yourself). A team like Princeton or Butler works at being efficient on offense and strong on the defensive glass to counteract their lack of an imposing frontline.

Defensive rebounds off missed FTs are the easiest to get (over 90 percent), so if you shoot poorly at the line, you give your opponents gimme defensive rebounds.

We know this all too well, but shot blocking can also negate some of your advantage. The guy going for the shot block is one less guy in defensive rebounding position, so the odds of cleaning up the boards go down. Shots blocked out of bounds or back into the hands of the shooter are offensive rebounds allowed.

Often, the rebounding margin in a specific game can be deceiving. You'd expect things to balance out over the long term, but the best way for us to overcome our rebounding deficiencies is to win the turnover battle with our strong guard play and get extra possessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom