Question about MLB instant replay | The Boneyard

Question about MLB instant replay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When we were kids, the rule on a throw to first base was "a tie goes to the runner."

So if the ball hits the first baseman's mitt glove as the runner's foot hits the base - which will now be seen in high-def - does the tie go to runner?

Reaction Score
When we were kids, the rule on a throw to first base was "a tie goes to the runner."

So if the ball hits the first baseman's mitt glove as the runner's foot hits the base - which will now be seen in high-def - does the tie go to runner?
The dirty little secret is the tie goes to the fielder no matter what the rule says. Watch the replays and I bet you see 75% of the bang bang plays at first go to the fielder. I still umpire some and someone is going to bitch on that call either way so my philosophy is that those plays are always outs. As Johnny Corcoran might say if he were alive: "When in doubt, its an out". This way the calls are consistent and you are 1 out closer to going home. It is a little different if you have a first base umpire who can watch the runners foot and listen for the ball hitting the glove but even then those calls are difficult and get missed often.
It will be interesting to see how replays effect this. I really hope they don't replay those calls at first base. The games are already too long.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Just like in football, they will give the benefit of the doubt to the call made on the field. There will have to be confirmed, indisputable, and uncontroversial evidence to overturn a call.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The dirty little secret is the tie goes to the fielder no matter what the rule says. Watch the replays and I bet you see 75% of the bang bang plays at first go to the fielder. I still umpire some and someone is going to bitch on that call either way so my philosophy is that those plays are always outs. As Johnny Corcoran might say if he were alive: "When in doubt, its an out". This way the calls are consistent and you are 1 out closer to going home. It is a little different if you have a first base umpire who can watch the runners foot and listen for the ball hitting the glove but even then those calls are difficult and get missed often.

Bang-bang plays are not ties, by definition. If it was a tie, it'd just be a bang play...

Snarkiness aside, there are two factors at work when you see this. One is physical, the other is egomaniacal. When an ump is looking at the bag and listening to the ball being caught, and he perceives a tie, it is an uncontroversial fact that light travels faster than sound, therefore the fielder get the benefit. The egomaniacal angle is that umps want to get noticed with their emphatic out calls. ;)

It will be interesting to see how replays effect this. I really hope they don't replay those calls at first base. The games are already too long.

My guess is that 75-90% of replays will be on defensive trap catches, stolen bases, and tag plays. Bang-bang plays at first probably won't be reviewed unless the runner is hopping mad about being throw out. There is no rule to use all your reviews, and I'll bet they are not used in a vast majority of games.

Reaction Score
Bang-bang plays are not ties, by definition. If it was a tie, it'd just be a bang play...

Snarkiness aside, there are two factors at work when you see this. One is physical, the other is egomaniacal. When an ump is looking at the bag and listening to the ball being caught, and he perceives a tie, it is an uncontroversial fact that light travels faster than sound, therefore the fielder get the benefit. The egomaniacal angle is that umps want to get noticed with their emphatic out calls. ;)

My guess is that 75-90% of replays will be on defensive trap catches, stolen bases, and tag plays. Bang-bang plays at first probably won't be reviewed unless the runner is hopping mad about being throw out. There is no rule to use all your reviews, and I'll bet they are not used in a vast majority of games.
I don't like the idea of replays for anything other than a home run call (fair/foul, fence clearance etc.) or fan interference. Tag plays, traps, stolen bases shouldn't be reviewed although I could live with replays for traps in the outfield. Once they go down the replay road it will be difficult to turn back. I'd rather live with the mistakes than add a half hour on to games.
The Yanks/Sox games are already way to long with patient hitters trying to run up the pitch count and pitchers trying to be more deliberate and game the hitters. I guarantee you that every challenge available would be used by both teams in their series. It is just the nature of the beast. They should be looking for ways to speed up the game not slow it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom