Question About Conference Networks: | The Boneyard

Question About Conference Networks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Why does ESPN hold the future of the ACC/Big12 Network? In the ACC's case, is it simply the fact that they own a majority of their tiered TV rights?

Big 12 teams currently individually hold their Tier 3 rights. Instead of a Big12 network couldn't they approach other entities such as FS1/2 who they already have a relationship with and work out a deal for their Tier 3 games to be on FS1 and 2?

Reaction Score
ESPN was probably the only entity that had a chance to:

a) consolidate the rights
b) offer a Tier 1 + no-cost conf network + penalty payout for failure to implement

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Why does ESPN hold the future of the ACC/Big12 Network? In the ACC's case, is it simply the fact that they own a majority of their tiered TV rights?

Big 12 teams currently individually hold their Tier 3 rights. Instead of a Big12 network couldn't they approach other entities such as FS1/2 who they already have a relationship with and work out a deal for their Tier 3 games to be on FS1 and 2?

ESPN holds all of the ACC's TV rights. They have sold some to other media outlets, but they own the ACC TV broadcasts.

ESPN holds Texas' media rights.mwith out Texas, there is no Big12 channel. Since ESPN holds it, they hold the future.

Reaction Score
Texas may be a crappy football team the last few seasons, but they will again end the year ranked #1.

In revenue.

They have a sweet deal on the LHN and seem unlikely to give that up.

Reaction Score
ESPN holds all of the ACC's TV rights. They have sold some to other media outlets, but they own the ACC TV broadcasts..

That's the problem, they sold some of those rights (http://raycomsports.com/expanded-company-history/)

The ACC Network was established in 2010 by Raycom Sports and the ACC following the founding of the Big Ten Network and prior to the launching of the PAC-12 Network and SEC Network. The ACC Network uses broadcast stations, cable distribution and digital media to disseminate its branded “Network” products. The Big Ten, PAC-12 and SEC do not use broadcast television stations, but have a dedicated cable channel and digital mediums. The ACC Network, produced by Raycom, reached 84% of the U.S. in 2014.

The new agreement lasted for only one season as the ACC announced in 2012 the additions of the University of Pittsburgh and Syracuse University beginning in 2013.(179) This forced the negotiation of a new 15-year ESPN agreement that was reported to be $3.6 billion over the term.(180) The new agreement included full members Pittsburgh and Syracuse. Haines again successfully negotiated with ESPN and FOX amendments to existing Raycom contracts that added the additional schools(181) and ensured Raycom coverage of the ACC through the 2026-2027 seasons.

The ACC Network includes:

• 35 CW affiliates (including WTTO in Birmingham, WCCT in Hartdord, WTOG in Tampa, WUPA in Atlanta, WNOL in New Orleans, WKBD in Detroit, KPLR in St. Louis and KYMS in San Antonio)
  • 32 MyNetworkTV affiliates (including WUXP in Nashville, WDCA in Washington, WNDY in Indianapolis, WUAB in Cleveland, and WCGV in Milwaukee)
  • 20 independent stations (including WLNY in New York and KTXA in Dallas)
  • 12 Fox affiliates (including WOFL in Orlando)
  • 9 CBS affiliates (including WFOR in Miami, WJZ in Baltimore, WBTV in Charlotte and WRAL in Raleigh)
  • 9 ABC affiliates (including WHAS in Louisville, WPVI in Philadelphia and WTAE in Pittsburgh)
In September of 2012, the ACC added Notre Dame in all sports except football. And in November, Maryland accepted membership into the Big Ten, followed shortly by the ACC announcing that Louisville would become its newest member.This again resulted in a renegotiated ACC television contract, reported to be worth $4.2 billion over 14 years, or $20 million per year to each school.(182)

The amended agreements continued syndication of ACC games nationally, included all previous digital rights and continued management of the ACC Corporate Champions program. In addition, it allows for an expanded package of regional cable games that Raycom sub-licenses to FOX Sports South.

It is my understanding that all that sub-licensing and syndication is what is holding things up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The SEC had to buy back content from CBS and others to have a SEC Channel.....it may be more difficult in the ACC...have to buy back from Raycom....and, other than Raycom's lecense, the ACC already owns the rights.

As far as exposure goes...the ACC has a decent network (ESPN-Raycom)...it is not a separate specific channel with a revenue stream and that is the bite.

Programs like FSU and UNC are making $30 million per year on Tier 1,2,3....ESPN and IMG contracts.

UNC's IMG is about $11 million and FSU's was $8.5 and is due to be renegotiated this year,,,to about $10 mill from what the blogs say.

Short of the Big Ten and SEC money.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Mighty FSU is 8.5, and piddly little UConn is 8 (and due to be reneged in 2018). Imagine that.

Reaction Score
Mighty FSU is 8.5, and piddly little UConn is 8 (and due to be reneged in 2018). Imagine that.

I can imagine that.

I can see basketball bringing in radio and other media rights. UNC brings in $11 million from IMG...basketball has value in tier 3 (radio, etc)

(the contract is being reneged?...or do you mean renewed?)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can imagine that.

I can see basketball bringing in radio and other media rights. UNC brings in $11 million from IMG...basketball has value in tier 3 (radio, etc)

(the contract is being reneged?...or do you mean renewed?)

I think he means renegotiated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul