Question about B1G TV Negotiations | The Boneyard

Question about B1G TV Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So the B1G is currently negotioating it's TV rights starting in 2017 right? How does that impact potential future expansion? Would they be more apt to expand before signing a new deal or after? We've seen before where TV negotiations cause things to happen (i.e. Big East being torn apart after they rejected an initial offer, ACC adding schools so they can reopen their TV deals prior to them expiring).

Reaction Score
Hard to tell what might make the Big Ten move on something. If a couple ADs or Presidents have strong opinions against something it could be a show-stopper.

The 27-month notification window for the AAC (if indeed that is what it is) would be right now if the Big Ten wanted UConn in before the new TV contract kicks in. While that might seem to be a strong factor in pushing things along, B1G did manage to wait until after the ACC doubled its exit fee before making the Maryland invite *and* I believe it was not in time for the notification window either.

I believe that by far the strongest influence on timing with the new TV contract is that even with more mouths to feed the new contract will no doubt result in a net gain for everyone. So, nobody has to eat a shortfall in revenue unless they were counting chickens far too early.

Reaction Score
Remember this? (from July, 2013)

Big Ten expansion: It isn't done. That's about all I can say. Hint: The conference will begin negotiating on a new TV deal next year. The current contract expires in 2016. Definitely stay tuned.

Dennis Dodd
CBSSports.com

I remember that but the more I think about it he could have been referencing Johns Hopkins being added in lacrosse or potential hockey-only invites.

Reaction Score
I remember that but the more I think about it he could have been referencing Johns Hopkins being added in lacrosse or potential hockey-only invites.
I don't see how adding on a state U as wealthy and influential as Connecticut wouldn't pay for itself many times over !?! Therefore how could it not be a major thought in TV negotiations? Believe me something...either the shaky ACC supported by the Spin or more likely the B1G ...is happening under the umbrella of a secrecy clause is going on...adding Lax..now? Watch for other hints..Wrestling next? Actions speak louder than words !! East...who else? I think partner is the holdup here.

Reaction Score
You'll probably hear rumblings right around the end of the upcoming FB season (i.e. early 2016) - I personally don't expect any FB related realignment.

Reaction Score
Market and athletic department related realignment, you bet.

Big Ten, here we come!

(Leaving the Hockey East is still going to suck.)

Reaction Score
My thinking (which may well be wrong) is that the B1G contract is holding up the ACCN which would, at least, indirectly relate to future expansion plans.

There is always the possibility that Fox, or maybe NBC, slaps down a wad of cash so big the B1G abandons ESPN/ABC and takes the cash--even if there's less exposure. (For the record, don't think this likely, just possible. More likely a splitting of rights.)

But--ESPN/ABC has to be prepared for the possibility which means they would have to cover the possible B1G hole with content they control. Read ACC. Which means they can't be effectively selling an ACCN now because they can't square away the content and price it until the B1G contract is settled. (The Raycom issue is basically an aside until then.)

I suspect this is a hideously complex negotiation with a lot of number-crunching and decision times for the B1G. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire thing ends up with the B1G deciding to wait out GORs, or going ahead with a G5 based expansion.

I hadn't heard anything about Colorado State (well, other than Minnie having them on the schedule) until Flug recently brought it up. The more I looked at it, the more I see his reasoning, and the more likely I am to believe we could see a Colorado State/UConn add come out of this.

But it's all going to depend on the number-crunching for the new tv contract. Interesting times.

Reaction Score
The error you're making is giving any credence to what either the Dude of Flug says. CSU doesn't make sense for an addition.

Reaction Score
Good night my brothers . You have all the evidence in front of you that you will need to make your own conclusion. I heard something about UCONN being in the B1G in 2017 or 2018. Everything I've posted has been from a big ten guy in Chicago . He thinks they take a stab at Virginia and see if there's anything there and if there is not they go after Missouri or Kansas ( even if they have to wait out the gor ) In this game its not about football it's about research and helping with NYC. good night god bless

Reaction Score
Good night my brothers . You have all the evidence in front of you that you will need to make your own conclusion. I heard something about UCONN being in the B1G in 2017 or 2018. Everything I've posted has been from a big ten guy in Chicago . He thinks they take a stab at Virginia and see if there's anything there and if there is not they go after Missouri or Kansas ( even if they have to wait out the gor ) In this game its not about football it's about research and helping with NYC. good night god bless
Not to mention locking the ACC out of NE/Boston of any real relevance and make their private adds look even DUMBER .

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
You are going to get yourself a boatload of Likes, my friend.

Reaction Score
Funster, post: 1327952, member: 831"]He got me at "brothers"[/QUOTE]
Yeah Funster...he's out liking Mr Popularity..our great leader...Fishy....scary!!

Reaction Score
I still wonder if HFD was right in that uconn turned down tha acc... I hope there is a 'someday' where all this is made public about what it took to get uconn to the big.

Reaction Score
Wonder about more conceivable things. Like if Princess Diana was murdered by the Queen and the U.S. landing on the moon was faked.

People-in-the-Moon-Landing-Hoax--59811.jpg

Reaction Score
I still wonder if HFD was right in that uconn turned down tha acc... I hope there is a 'someday' where all this is made public about what it took to get uconn to the big.
The story is we were not at the forefront of B1G expansion, though then a long-shot candidate mentioned in some B1G media markets but not in Chicago, when the ACC offered.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Trust me, UConn never turned down an invitation to any current P-5 conference. In fact, the current leadership was informed not long before near coup that led to Louisville's bid that our invitation was imminent.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Trust me, UConn never turned down an invitation to any current P-5 conference. In fact, the current leadership was informed not long before near coup that led to Louisville's bid that our invitation was imminent.
Fact or speculation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99