Pros and Cons of BigXII Expansion Candidates | The Boneyard

Pros and Cons of BigXII Expansion Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We actually sound pretty good here. Not sure what to make of the credibility of the writer but Dallas news sounds pretty okay to me.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Frank the tank had some interesting comments. With the playoff structure, the value of the ccg will skyrocket.
That could negate expansion costs. Not sure how the ccg is structured in big 12 media deal
By all metrics, uconn and byu are the two best programs available. Not even debatable.
The fact that it's the big 12 changes some things so I think cincy and byu are better candidates. Uconn is hurt by the distance.
But if Texas and Oklahoma want a similar ad in size and quality, uconn becomes an obvious choice

Reaction Score
Two of the CCG's were among the Top Five most watched football games of the season...The B1G's number was probably hurt by the lopsided score and the PAC's as well.

A CCG in the top viewing category (and I think the Big 12 would be) could be a cause for more money being paid to a conference for expansion. If Texas and Oklahoma get back on track, add the Red River Rivalry to the top five as well.

topcfbovernights2014.gif

Reaction Score
Just the fact that we are being mentioned is good. At least the B1G and ACC have to contemplate the prospect of having the Big XII gain a foothold in the northeast and what that may mean for their respective strategies. I think if UConn is added, the Big XII would get instant credibility/coverage in the Boston and NYC media, do the ACC and B1G really want that?

Reaction Score
He is telling people that we pack the house. I like this guy already.

Pros: Connecticut obviously has the basketball pedigree, and it has been trying to catch the eye of other conferences since Pittsburgh and Syracuse were poached from the Big East. UConn football has been in a tailspin since the 2011 Fiesta Bowl, but the UConn faithful pack the house( if the team is good, that is). Plus, the ever-attractive New York/Boston market potentially awaits.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/co...s-of-schools-floated-for-big-12-expansion.ece

Reaction Score
Not really anything mentioned about academics... Nobody gives a sh__, I guess. The ACC proved that by taking Louisville.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
The writer should have done some research regarding UConn's conference affiliations for ice hockey, field hockey and etc. UConn is basically covered for most of its Olympic sports not sponsored by the B12.
Right we would only need to find a home for men's soccer - likely the big east (like field hockey and women's lacrosse). Though WVU put their mens soccer into conf usa

But we're not going to big 12 - nearly 0.0 probability

Reaction Score
Marshall and ECU could say the same.

I'm sure they are, but Marshal and ECU don't get much press in the NYC or Boston media markets. My point is that if credible media from Big XII land speculate about UConn being added and make a fairly favorable case for that, those conferences have to consider the possibility of another power conference sharing that northeastern space.

pj

Reaction Score
If the Big XII were serious about surviving and competing with other conferences long-term, they would take UConn, UCF, Cincy, and BYU and make a claim that they are a national conference. But they're not trying for that. They're trying to milk the current TV contract for dollars and then they'll all go their separate ways. In that context, if a Fred Smith wants to throw money at the Big XII to help his school be in the big time for ten years, they'll take his money.

UConn brings big markets but it would take time to build up the Big XII brand in those markets, and to build up UConn football. Time is what the Big XII doesn't have. They need money now.

Reaction Score
Unlike the ACC and B1G, the Big XII wouldn't have to expand with a football school. They have plenty of football with OU, Texas, TCU, Baylor, KSU, WVU, OK St. Their problem isn't better football like what the ACC or B1G might need, it may be more bodies for a CCG if that's really going to be an impediment for their schools to get in the playoff. UConn could bring immediate National championship (not conference) caliber teams to the league which no other potential add could with an AD already with revenues that is already in line with the bottom of the league with an AAC TV contract. Granted football is terrible, but hopefully it's hit its nadir and will start to improve and be competitive in a new league with more excitement around the program.

Reaction Score
We need to agree to Have home games to MetLife, MSG and Barclays as warranted. Anyone know what the pipeline is for b12 alumni in NYC?

Reaction Score
We need to agree to Have home games to MetLife, MSG and Barclays as warranted. Anyone know what the pipeline is for b12 alumni in NYC?

The NYC job market has the tendency to pull in college grads in the Northeast and the best & brightest from everywhere else, which explains why schools like Duke, ND, and Michigan have a major presence in NYC. The XII is not well known for their academic pedigrees and there is also a major cultural divide between NYC and the core XII territory. Thus, I would expect a few here and there with a decent number of grads from U Texas.

Reaction Score
Home games vs. Texas and Oklahoma at Giants/Yankee stadium until rent is expanded to 55k+ Let's do it!

Reaction Score
Right we would only need to find a home for men's soccer - likely the big east (like field hockey and women's lacrosse). Though WVU put their mens soccer into conf usa

But we're not going to big 12 - nearly 0.0 probability
WVU Mens Soccer is in the MAC. Just saying.
Why does the article state UCONN would have to find a home for Hockey? That is incorrect.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good article, though the writer clearly didn't see we have a home for hockey. If only there were a nearby conference for soccer, etc. as he mentioned, with whom we have an existing relationship and could potentially join.

Reaction Score
I also think Temple gets overlooked. If that program continues to have success and gains any traction in Philly, that's a pretty big market to tap. Great location. Time is not our friend.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
WVU Mens Soccer is in the MAC. Just saying.
Why does the article state UCONN would have to find a home for Hockey? That is incorrect.
Not my point. My point was that the big east didnt want WVU soccer.

Reaction Score
I also think Temple gets overlooked. If that program continues to have success and gains any traction in Philly, that's a pretty big market to tap. Great location. Time is not our friend.

Unlikely that Temple can ever gain any real traction nationally. They have a lot of difficult problems with no easy solutions. They have a cash strapped AD, poor fan support, and a legacy of losing lots and lots of games. Whenever a coach gets something going there, someone higher up the financial food chain comes calling.

Reaction Score
Not my point. My point was that the big east didnt want WVU soccer.
WVU left the old BE in violation of the bylaws. Completely different scenario than it would be for UConn and our Field Hockey is still there.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
WVU left the old BE in violation of the bylaws. Completely different scenario than it would be for UConn and our Field Hockey is still there.
They settled for $10 million. Money can fix lots of things...like leaving a conference early.

Because we have field hockey and women's lacrosse in BE doesnt mean they want our men's soccer. But I would bet they would accept it if by the 0% chance we would them to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom