OT: - progressive rock | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: progressive rock

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Yeah, and ask ten people what Progressive Rock is and you'll get, well at least 2-3 different answers.
Having read and listened my way through loads of wonderful music here, much new to me, I might offer another dozen answers. Is the Lee Michaels and Frosty album below prog rock? Chicago, Jethro Tull?

Taxonomy fails me.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here are a couple from Gentle Giant. First a later one, which shows off their connection to folk traditions:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
And one from the first album with some great vocals.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here is one from Epica. This is the middle of a three-song suite about the intersection of physics and spirituality. The suite appeared on three albums over about 15 years. In fact, the children’s choir singing on the last part weren’t born when the first was recorded.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Genesis - Carpet Crawlers:

Here's another from Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. This one never struck me till I was on a long run ten or so years ago, then I repeated it several times. Beautiful, if a bit creepy. The Lamia was a real, albeit obscure, figure in Greek mythology.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Can I get a ruling here? @Bigboote has already opened the door to symphonic metal. This band just sounds different than all the other symphonic metal to me. I think it could qualify. They do some long instrumentals, some tempo changes, some of their stuff is a bit trippy. Some of their songs are kind of epic or cosmic feeling.

Reaction Score
The uber talented Jethro Tull - from his amazing 1970 album Benefit - song is "With You There to Help Me".

"Why am I crying? I want to know
How can I smile and then make it right?
For sixty days and eighty nights
And not givin' in and lose the fight"

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Edenbridge is good with me, NW. They have a bit of that folk-metal sound like Ignea.

Reaction Score
I always thought the Strawbs had a solid and beautiful progressive sound - as in their song "Flying":

Reaction Score
I'm going to interrupt the nostalgia with some more current math rock. Elephant Gym (from Taiwan).

All three are great, but the bassist is a real treat:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm going to interrupt the nostalgia with some more current math rock. Elephant Gym (from Taiwan).

All three are great, but the bassist is a real treat:

Oh, that’s so cool! That’s the kind of stuff I’m always looking for. Somali Yacht Club and Paint the Sky Red are two other current bands in the same vein. Here’s something from the latter, ffwd a minute or so to get past the intro.

Reaction Score
Oh, that’s so cool! That’s the kind of stuff I’m always looking for. Somali Yacht Club and Paint the Sky Red are two other current bands in the same vein. Here’s something from the latter, ffwd a minute or so to get past the intro.

Two interesting first listens. I particularly liked the Paint the Sky Red album (thanks). It oddly reminded me of Fin Del Mundo (without being "interrupted" by someone singing in Spanish). I won't include it here, because it is more "shoegaze" than "ambient prog."

Another new band to me in the post-rock/math rock/progressive area (and to include Japan along with Taiwan and Singapore): Paranoid Void

Reaction Score
In between the Airplane and Starship days, Paul Kantner, Grace Slick, and friends like Jerry Garcia did some very interesting side projects. This was one of them - "Sunfighter" - the song is Holding Together:

What a great song!! Holy smokes. These legends do not get their proper respect.

Reaction Score
I think STYX crossed over into progressive rock on occasion with some of their earlier recordings, especially after Tommy Shaw joined the line up. Here is "Put Me On" from Chrystal Ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom