Progress by Giff this year | The Boneyard

Progress by Giff this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
The injury is another blow to the team....it's too bad for Niels as he could have used a couple more games to continue his growth this year. He has shown steady progress in his game.

He's just a combination dose of "Rashad confidence" and "Adrien attitude" from being more than a glue-guy and complimentary type player. He should shoot jump shots all the time and drop the careful set shot that he routinely front rims. When he shoots in rhythm and without thinking, he is very good. We saw this yesterday when he had the ball with the shot clock running down and he had to react. He put up a midrange jumper with very good elevation and perfect form that hit nothing but net. His defense has been the best on the team ... the way he was great hedging on screens against Georgetown showed great timing. He completely stopped the player with the ball, then left quickly to reacquire his man. Not perfect, but he played Porter very well while he was on him.

He has also shown great improvement in his rebounding and toughness under the basket. How many times has he tipped a ball he could not get to to another Husky? Well, I don't know, but quite a few and it shows his ability to "see" the game as it happens.

It's been difficult because there have been games where the match-up did not allow playing both he and Deandre as much together (btw, much of what I have said about NG also applies to DD). It was no accident that our team played its best basketball with both of them in at the end of many games. I hope that there are more times when KO plays both NG and DD together with a real big at center next year. It seems that Niels has another level that he can reach if he can stop deferring so much and be more aggressive in creating his own offense.

Reaction Score
Wewill need NGbig time next season. I look for him to be more consistent. That was a real problem this year (offensively) A great team player.

Reaction Score
Good thread Db2u.......Niels has shown some great ability and actually that nice little one dribble side drop for the jumper yesterday is just more proof of his ability to score and shoot the ball. On the other end he has become a stopper of sorts with the ability to guard different positions and make things difficult as well as play very tough under and around the basket. even when not getting tough rebounds he has had many flip outs in hopes of our guys gaining possession. He can be even more and it's too bad if indeed that was the last we will see of him until 2013-14..........love the kid!!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm shocked he doesn't make more jump shots, his form is about as pretty as anyone I've seen.

He reminds me this year of Shabazz from 2011; when he comes in the game, we just play better.

Reaction Score
Giffey does the dirty work that UConn needs & has carved out a nice role for himself this year. I too am surprised UConn hasn't played Giffey & Daniels together more often. It's just now at the end of the season, Ollie seems to be figuring it out that they can be out there together. We don't always need 3 guards out there either.

SouthTampaBill

20" Neck
Reaction Score
It's sad when the boneyard sees that NG and DD play together well and not the coaching staff

I know I will hear the obligatory, "we don't see them in practice everyday" crap.

I have known many athletes who are great in practice and stink it up in games and also the other way around

I have also spoken to college and pro coaches who say that many staffs over analyze every aspect of upcoming games.

Reaction Score
It's sad when the boneyard sees that NG and DD play together well and not the coaching staff

I know I will hear the obligatory, "we don't see them in practice everyday" crap.

I have known many athletes who are great in practice and stink it up in games and also the other way around

I have also spoken to college and pro coaches who say that many staffs over analyze every aspect of upcoming games.
Someone forgot the end of the Georgetown game and both OTs. But its ok, we appreciate stupidity at the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
STB has a point :eek: , wanted to see a lot more of those 2 on the court together this year. Not sure why but I do trust the staff just my opinion they bring things to the table in the game together.

Reaction Score
Can somebody explain why Giffey feels so uncomfortable dribbling? it's like he's been playing the 4 his whole life (very much a possibility). as a senior next year i would love for him to gain a reputation as, not a dirty, but one of those wildly tough non American wing defenders. he also never tires.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking more muscle and an ego boost we see the German andres nocioni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member