Prince Ali Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Prince Ali Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
HuskiesAllDay said:
That's a ridiculous stance. Ali looks like an absolute stud. One of the most exciting recruits/ commits in a while based on his hops and the vicious way he attacked the rim. Sure, we are after a lot of top guys, but so is everyone else. We have to beat out KY, Kansas, Fl, L'ville etc for almost all of them. Not saying we cant do it, but its gonna suck real bad if we don't land a few of them and then have to watch Prince dominate wherever he goes.

There was potential there with Ali, but you're overrating him a bit. I prefer guards to be triple threats (drive, shoot, pass) and he was great at one, and shaky on the other two. His A:TO ratio while "tearing it up" this summer was awful - he was actually quite inefficient at getting his 20 ppg. He obviously could have gotten better in a structured system with some coaching, so I'm not going to go totally sour grapes on him (I'd have taken him back if he decided to stay) but if his decommit in any way convinced Jalen Adams to sign on, I'll make that trade every time. It may not turn out this way, but Adams feels like a true lead guard - Ali feels a bit like a ball stopper.

If Ali plays well somewhere else, cest la vie. Harkless and Melvin did too but we won a couple titles with the guys we did get, so I never did miss them. And we did get Adams, so I prefer to think other schools are going to say it sucks that we got him.

Reaction Score
I think Donovan Mitchell would be a great plan B if we don't land Newman. Mitchell just picked up a Louisville offer. Hoping that UConn starts recruiting him more.

Also, I wonder if the staff is looking at the other guard as more of a luxury than a necessity. We'll have TSam, Rodney Purvis (if he stays), Sam Cassell, Jr. and Jalen Adams. With Jalen Adams in the fold, it seems like guard is more of a necessity in 2016. Just my opinion.

Absolutely. I love the idea of adding another one of these stud 2015 guards, but we would be more than fine going forward if it's just a Boatright for Adams swap on the 2015-2016 roster. I suppose we would definitely need another guard if both Purvis and Hamilton leave after this year. But if not, we still have more than enough in the backcourt.

Reaction Score
He better go to Michigan if he wants a shot at winning anything in his 2-3 years

Reaction Score
So on 24/7, Maryland is the trending prediction for Ali. Certainly makes more sense than UM and UCLA.

if I'm a guard/wing, I would be running to go to Mich over the other 2.

pj

Reaction Score
Also, I wonder if the staff is looking at the other guard as more of a luxury than a necessity. We'll have TSam, Rodney Purvis (if he stays), Sam Cassell, Jr. and Jalen Adams. With Jalen Adams in the fold, it seems like guard is more of a necessity in 2016. Just my opinion.

This is my preference. Go for the Newman-Stone pair and a wing (Derrick Jones, Ray Smith or Bennie Boatwright); if you don't get Newman and Stone, get Enoch or Chance Comanche with the wing and wait until 2016 for another guard (hopefully, Tyus Battle or Derryck Thornton).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What's that you say? He's going to UCLA in a package deal with DHAM?
When I read your posts, I think to myself "Wait, I don't remember posting that."

Reaction Score
not looking too good then. Who knows with Newman as he is basically everyones top target. Briscoe and Adams seem very similar. I actually prefer Adams. He seems quicker, more athletic, better hops. For some reason Briscoe doesn't impress me that much. Id love to land him, but I can see Adams commitment as the end for us since they are so similar.

Who else does that leave though? We could be in trouble? Newman will be tough since he is everyones top choice. I keep hearing everyone talk about Jalen Brunson, but never any interest on his end. Dorsey is probably out.

What other guards are we actually in good shape for?

If Purvis stays another guard isn't really a necessity, 4 guys for 2 spots with DHam being a very good ballhandler at SF is more than enough. Of course if one other elite guard wants to jump on board thats cool, but its not quite the time to hit the panic button on July 10th.

Reaction Score
I think Donovan Mitchell would be a great plan B if we don't land Newman. Mitchell just picked up a Louisville offer. Hoping that UConn starts recruiting him more.

The so called experts are predicting Newman and Stone to Kentucky. And I agree, we have a safe number of guards next season. 2016 is a different matter but Ollie has a PT sales pitch he can use. We'll be fine.
How about Brunson?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You do recognize that irrespective of whether Adams is the only gaurd we land this year, others are available to be recruited for future years, right?

Of course I realize that. What does that even prove? Somehow losing a good player is ok, simply because that means we can recruit someone else in future years? What good is having 100 scholarships if nobody takes them (obv this wont happen, but an open scholarship is only worth something if someone accepts it (in this case as good or better than Ali)

I'm not saying Prince Ali is the end all be all for us. But, we just lost what appears to be a very good player with a ton of upside. And the idea that, "so what, were after a lot of top guys" seems a little too prevalent around here.

Ali doesn't want to play for UConn, so that's his loss. All I'm arguing is that its great that we are looking at/ in the mix for a lot of top guys, but it wont be so great if we don't land any of them.

Reaction Score
glad to see this isn't yet another thread of 50 people saying "BEST WISHES PRINCE" and "HE'S A KID HE CAN CHANGE HIS MIIIIIND"

Swear there was more hope around here for his future success after he decommitted than when we thought he was coming to Storrs.

Reaction Score
Of course I realize that. What does that even prove? Somehow losing a good player is ok, simply because that means we can recruit someone else in future years? What good is having 100 scholarships if nobody takes them (obv this wont happen, but an open scholarship is only worth something if someone accepts it (in this case as good or better than Ali)

I'm not saying Prince Ali is the end all be all for us. But, we just lost what appears to be a very good player with a ton of upside. And the idea that, "so what, were after a lot of top guys" seems a little too prevalent around here.

Ali doesn't want to play for UConn, so that's his loss. All I'm arguing is that its great that we are looking at/ in the mix for a lot of top guys, but it wont be so great if we don't land any of them.

And the counter argument to that is, if there is a position where we can afford to miss out on our remaining targets, it's at guard. It's pretty obvious that we could use another big guy. We definitely could use another wing, because who knows how long Hamilton will be around and if Omar can return to his old form. But if Purvis comes back, we have 4 pretty good players penciled into the backcourt in 2016.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Why is there speculation as to whether of not Purvis will stay?

Reaction Score
He has already been replaced, we need not worry about losing him. I must say though the few games i did see him play in the kid looked like a real stud. He's going to be good wherever he goes, too bad its not going to be at Uconn. Uconn wont hurt because he changed his mind though. Most likely he'll be looking at Uconn do big things and he'll be second guessing the decisions he has made.

Reaction Score
Joobie said:
Why is there speculation as to whether of not Purvis will stay?

The hope is that he becomes very good and has demand at the next level. Remains to be seen - I'm a bit skeptical since he doesn't have a natural NBA position (small for a 2) unless he develops PG skills very quickly. But we'll see. If he's so good that he can jump, that means we're a very good team.

He's not a risk to transfer at all, having already done it once. He's UConn or pros from here on out.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Thanks, Gurley...Rodney is poised to become one of my "new" favorites. Kid has a GREAT attitude, always a smile on his face. Relieved to hear he'll be here awhile!

Reaction Score
Can't blame a kid for wanting PT, he's going to have a much better shot at it at Maryland than at UConn.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The so called experts are predicting Newman and Stone to Kentucky. And I agree, we have a safe number of guards next season. 2016 is a different matter but Ollie has a PT sales pitch he can use. We'll be fine.
How about Brunson?

Kentucky isn't even recruiting Stone from what I heard.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yes. At this time.

Think we dodged one here with Prince. Word is he is more about name
On back of jersey and that does not mesh with KO's philosophy.

This is the kind of thing that is best left unsaid, even you believe it to be true.

Reaction Score
I'm more upset about losing out on all of the Aladdin jokes than his actual play. He's a good player, but we're in on so many really good prospects, it's hard to get upset about losing that one.
I was really excited to have a Turtle, a Prince Ali and a Comanche on the squad. It had less to do with basketball as it did with sprinkling a couple good laughs into the game calling and in here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32