Preview season begins | The Boneyard

Preview season begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/2015/10/01/connecticut-basketball-2015-16-season-preview/

No news here. Preview season begins...

"I expect Connecticut to finish in the top three of the American Athletic Conference and make it to the 2016 NCAA tournament as somewhere close to a No. 8 seed. Do not be alarmed if UConn fails to meet expectations in 2015-16, because this is a squad that is primed to be legitimate national title contenders as early as the 2016-17 season..."

Don't think this guy really knows what he's talking about. I'd be shocked if we're a better team in 2016-17 than this season. We're definitely losing Gibbs and Miller (and to a lesser extent Calhoun and Nolan), and will almost certainly lose Hamilton, Purvis, and maybe Brimah.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Why does the author also think that Georgetown game may be a bit too much for UConn?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Immediately discredited everything that followed this statement:

Kevin Ollie, despite constant NBA rumors, has reaffirmed his commitment to UConn basketball and will hope to lead a young, albeit experienced, squad to the 2016 NCAA tournament.

We're going to average a junior per minute played, that will put us in the top 25% of all of college basketball and the top 5% of high majors. It's just flat out wrong and if you can't get that fact right, the rest of your opinion is moot.

Reaction Score
Don't think this guy really knows what he's talking about. I'd be shocked if we're a better team in 2016-17 than this season. We're definitely losing Gibbs and Miller (and to a lesser extent Calhoun and Nolan), and will almost certainly lose Hamilton, Purvis, and maybe Brimah.
rantsports is a website i would suggest no frequenting, bunch of noob writers with no creds.

look @ wrote this https://twitter.com/TSturmRS

Reaction Score
Just seems like he looked at averages from this past season, then eligibility to see who is returning next season, noticing that DHam, Purvis and Brimah all have another year of eligibility, and was like "yeah, they'll be better then".

Reaction Score
Good God. "Lack of experience?" we brought in two fifth year all conference level players to join 4 guys who are wearing national champioship rings.

Do I know how good we will be? Nope. All depends on whether the individual talent melds into a team. But if we lose, it will not be because we're inexperienced.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Good God. "Lack of experience?" we brought in two fifth year all conference level players to join 4 guys who are wearing national champioship rings.

Do I know how good we will be? Nope. All depends on whether the individual talent melds into a team. But if we lose, it will not be because we're inexperienced.
He doesn't even mention miller...

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

1. KevB ‏@ctkevb 20m20 minutes ago
    @TSturmRS Hey Taylor, RE: Your UConn preview, team isn't young by any measure, will average a junior per minute played. Might want to edit

2. Taylor Sturm ‏@TSturmRS 15m15 minutes ago
    @ctkevb I meant not much long-term experience, save a few. I was typing quickly and probably used the wrong word. Appreciate the heads up!

3. KevB ‏@ctkevb 10m10 minutes ago
    @TSturmRS Long term experience? whats that mean?

4. Taylor Sturm ‏@TSturmRS 3m3 minutes ago
    @ctkevb I honestly don't know what I was trying to say there, I think I was stuck on the potential of Hamilton throughout the whole article

5. KevB ‏@ctkevb 1m1 minute ago
    @TSturmRS No worries just trying to help you out. Lots of experience and depth on this team, its a surprise Uconn year, final 4 potential

Reaction Score
I realize that you're not calling yourself a better writer, but that post is still amusing.
yeah a few ( meaningless) typos indeed. point still stands hes a noob without much of a following to filter through all the banal musings he puts up. laugh it up though

Reaction Score

I might be in the minority, but I don't think we're losing both Hamilton and Purvis. Boatright hinted at leaving for the NBA as early as after his sophomore season, but there's a big difference when you actually sit down, get feedback and have to really make the decision. If Rodney doesn't have a huge season I see him coming back for his senior year, even if right now he doesn't want to.

I don't think Brimah leaves unless he has a huge year.

That leaves DHam who I think is most likely to leave. But, we have so many weapons this year he may want to stay another year and be 'the man' to move up draft boards.

Probably a case of me being overly optimistic, but I think it's likely we lose 1 of those 3 guys and doubt we lose 2 or more.

Reaction Score
The only caveat about leaving early is if we win a national championship. I could see Amida being borderline on going pro, and if we win, his stock would probably be increased a little more and that might tip him over the edge. Same with other guys like Purvis. But i agree, i think Purvis comes back if he is short of an incredible season. Amida I think has the potential to get himself a high 1st round pick if he has made some improvements this year, but that has yet to be seen, and pretty much the same can be said of Dham. There is a very real chance that anyone that isnt a senior will be coming back the following year to play at Uconn imo (assuming we dont win a national chip, which I think we have a very good shot at winning).

Reaction Score
The only caveat about leaving early is if we win a national championship. I could see Amida being borderline on going pro, and if we win, his stock would probably be increased a little more and that might tip him over the edge. Same with other guys like Purvis. But i agree, i think Purvis comes back if he is short of an incredible season. Amida I think has the potential to get himself a high 1st round pick if he has made some improvements this year, but that has yet to be seen, and pretty much the same can be said of Dham. There is a very real chance that anyone that isnt a senior will be coming back the following year to play at Uconn imo (assuming we dont win a national chip, which I think we have a very good shot at winning).

As if Deandre Daniels, I am not going to look for the issues with winning a championship. If players want to bail early after getting us #5, I'll happily rebuild.

Reaction Score
I guess Rodney is graduating early and if he has a huge year it will behoove him to see where he stands. DHam is obviously a guy who has gifts to get to the next level and a big year of maturing and improving the weaknesses could put him in position to go but we will have to wait and see on that. Amida, well he's going to need to improve a lot in the areas he need to be good at for the NBA but he's close enough to wonder.

Imagine keeping them all?

Reaction Score
Rodney is graduating on time, and leaving foregoing his extra eligibility from transferring.

Reaction Score
We have a serious need for rodney to stay due to the dearth of backcourt play, but its just too unrealistic. kids heading to the league in '16. pre season in 2014, he had his eyes on an early entry for the 2015 draft. RP got injured, didn't play as well as he could nor did KO condone this risk, so he's back this year ready to put it all together for a final run.

Hamilton I can see staying because his draft stock is crap for 2016, but these things change rapidly. He comes in next year as an efficient scorer as well as distributor, my tune will change... but as of 10/2/2015 I see him staying till junior year. Elated if he makes the much anticipated LEAP that launches him into first round contention for 2016 though .

Reaction Score

1. KevB ‏@ctkevb 20m20 minutes ago
    @TSturmRS Hey Taylor, RE: Your UConn preview, team isn't young by any measure, will average a junior per minute played. Might want to edit

2. Taylor Sturm ‏@TSturmRS 15m15 minutes ago
    @ctkevb I meant not much long-term experience, save a few. I was typing quickly and probably used the wrong word. Appreciate the heads up!

3. KevB ‏@ctkevb 10m10 minutes ago
    @TSturmRS Long term experience? whats that mean?

4. Taylor Sturm ‏@TSturmRS 3m3 minutes ago
    @ctkevb I honestly don't know what I was trying to say there, I think I was stuck on the potential of Hamilton throughout the whole article

5. KevB ‏@ctkevb 1m1 minute ago
    @TSturmRS No worries just trying to help you out. Lots of experience and depth on this team, its a surprise Uconn year, final 4 potential

Ill give the guy a break as he seems like he might not have a lot of experience writing so hes learning and doesnt seem to have an anti Uconn agenda. That being said this back and forth is a bit embarrassing.

Reaction Score
As if Deandre Daniels, I am not going to look for the issues with winning a championship. If players want to bail early after getting us #5, I'll happily rebuild.

Oh yeah I'm on the same page as you. Just get us another chip!

Reaction Score
"I honestly don't know what I was trying to say there"

If I'm a writer, I never admit something that on a public forum like twitter. Hell, I never have that happen in the first place. If I were that guy's boss or whatever....

Reaction Score
"I honestly don't know what I was trying to say there"

If I'm a writer, I never admit something that on a public forum like twitter. Hell, I never have that happen in the first place. If I were that guy's boss or whatever....
I respect his honesty, need more of it in journalism.

Reaction Score
I respect his honesty, need more of it in journalism.
Twitter is the most ignorable social media out there.

And as I said, as a writer, you'd think one would know what they are trying to convey before they hit the "post" button. Unless the tool in question figured nobody would actually read what they wrote with any degree of scrutiny.

Reaction Score
I might be in the minority, but I don't think we're losing both Hamilton and Purvis. Boatright hinted at leaving for the NBA as early as after his sophomore season, but there's a big difference when you actually sit down, get feedback and have to really make the decision. If Rodney doesn't have a huge season I see him coming back for his senior year, even if right now he doesn't want to.

I don't think Brimah leaves unless he has a huge year.

That leaves DHam who I think is most likely to leave. But, we have so many weapons this year he may want to stay another year and be 'the man' to move up draft boards.

Probably a case of me being overly optimistic, but I think it's likely we lose 1 of those 3 guys and doubt we lose 2 or more.
I don't think Purvis is going anywhere. Hamilton may be the most talented but if someone goes it may be Brimah.

Reaction Score
I don't think Purvis is going anywhere. Hamilton may be the most talented but if someone goes it may be Brimah.

Rumor is Rodney is going to graduate and may go for that reason alone, maybe NBA if at all possible or Europe? Only reading this here, may be best for him to stay his extra but hey they're kids. DHam is very talented and will need to become more efficient on the offensive end to go high but I am sure they will like him after this year, just depends how much and if there's any guarantee. Have a feeling he's in no hurry. AB, he needs to get better in a few areas and if he does the NBA obviously likes the big guys who are athletic. But there's little room for a 7 footer :)rolleyes:) who can't rebound or doesn't play physical enough to play in ball defense at the next level. Yeah yeah yeah he's hands off to many of you but the NBA? He's 2 years away unless this offseason really changed quite a few things. Don't think I don't like him as my guy in the middle I do as I've stated, but the NBA just seems so far away for him. I welcome him to prove me wrong this year I really do. If he becomes a Top 10-15 pick then we are really going to enjoy this ride I tell ya.

Reaction Score
Rumor is Rodney is going to graduate and may go for that reason alone, maybe NBA if at all possible or Europe? Only reading this here, may be best for him to stay his extra but hey they're kids. DHam is very talented and will need to become more efficient on the offensive end to go high but I am sure they will like him after this year, just depends how much and if there's any guarantee. Have a feeling he's in no hurry. AB, he needs to get better in a few areas and if he does the NBA obviously likes the big guys who are athletic. But there's little room for a 7 footer :)rolleyes:) who can't rebound or doesn't play physical enough to play in ball defense at the next level. Yeah yeah yeah he's hands off to many of you but the NBA? He's 2 years away unless this offseason really changed quite a few things. Don't think I don't like him as my guy in the middle I do as I've stated, but the NBA just seems so far away for him. I welcome him to prove me wrong this year I really do. If he becomes a Top 10-15 pick then we are really going to enjoy this ride I tell ya.
We are going to have to see how he plays with better perimeter defense. His rebound numbers will go up if he doesn't have challenge and go for the block as much. Maybe another year will improve his instincts. As you said, if he becomes a 10-15 pick we could be looking at a FF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom