Pretty interesting PSU article abt the roots of the B1G's last expansion (sorry RU content) | The Boneyard

Pretty interesting PSU article abt the roots of the B1G's last expansion (sorry RU content)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have a pal who's a RU guy and he sent me this PSU writer's article about how he supposedly suggested Rutgers to the Big Ten back when PSU joined in the early 90's. Some fascinating stuff here about Delaney, PSU, RU and even Texas, Missou and Nebraska. Supposedly Rutgers was sending out brochures lobbying for a Big Ten invite in 1989(!).

Just got me wondering (hoping) what sort of side room conversations have taken place concerning Uconn.

Also, if this stuff is true, we might have been seriously been victim to a huge head start previously unknown on the part of Rutgers.

Really sorry for the RU content but I thought the Realignment Board would appreciate.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/inde...at_my_early_90s_ad.html#incart_social_feature

Some highlights:

The question on everyone's mind for two years had been: Who will be the 12th school? There had to be a 12th member, right. After Penn State's admission in 1990, the conference couldn't possibly stick with a prime number much longer.

Of course, Notre Dame was the one the Big Ten wanted. If it could somehow be persuaded to abandon its independent status and come aboard, there would be divisions and a football championship game like in the new SEC and a perfect figurehead member for the West to counterbalance Penn State in the East.

That's where my question to Delany came in. I introduced myself and my newspaper. He was cordial and fun to talk to. So, I said, what about an Eastern addition like Rutgers? An Eastern partner for Penn State. A big state school who fit the Big Ten profile. That big NYC-metro market untapped for college football. And now that PSU was aboard, Jersey was even contiguous.

Only problem was, I said, if you added an Eastern school and split into divisions, you'd have to break up a rivalry somewhere. No, at the time, no one could have conceived of Leaders and Legends.

I never expected a substantive response. But Delany surprised me: "You don't have to go East-West. You can go North-South." And then he ticked off the prospective divisions in that direction while my mind spun. Yes, the commissioner was a bright guy, I thought. He's considering all options at all times and he does have his eye on the East.

And from the writer's own article published in 1992:

Two years ago, Rutgers University whipped together a report that school officials hoped would get it invited into the Big Ten.

School officials already had gotten wind of Penn State's pending invitation a few months before it was announced on Dec. 15, 1989. Almost immediately, they got started on Advantage: Rutgers, a glossy book of facts intended to push RU over the top.

"We sent it out to all the Big Ten presidents and the league office," said Kevin McConnell, Rutgers' athletic marketing director.

"We wanted to give them background on the advances a New York market base would provide the league media-wise. It also included facts about influential alumni from Rutgers and a lot of information about our academic standing.

"It promoted not just the athletic program, but the university itself, which we figured was just as important to them as athletics."

Two years later, Rutgers sits in two different TV-poor conferences one for basketball another for football and waits.

Reaction Score
It is interesting to read newspapers from years gone by, predicting or laying the groundwork for that which has now happened...or not.

Reaction Score
One has to give Rutgers credit for forward thinking and being proactive. They actively lobbied, instead of sitting back and monitoring. I just hope it is not too little, too late for UConn.

Reaction Score
This was not even a secret. In fact, both Maryland and Rutgers were so tied to Penn State, that Paterno went to the BE in 1988 and told them the three schools wanted to join, with PSU getting a larger share of its own TV revenues in football. That was rejected by the BE. The irony is that before Miami left the conference in 2004, the BE offered Miami a much better deal than PSU asked for in 1988.

Reaction Score
One has to give Rutgers credit for forward thinking and being proactive. They actively lobbied, instead of sitting back and monitoring. I just hope it is not too little, too late for UConn.

NOTE ... in that article, OUR UConn was not even mentioned. Why? Because we did not even play football at that level in 1990-1992. We can crack on Manuel all we want ... but a key determinant that keeps us flailing is that we are relatively new to this. And our fanbase needs to develop.

Reaction Score
NOTE ... in that article, OUR UConn was not even mentioned. Why? Because we did not even play football at that level in 1990-1992. We can crack on Manuel all we want ... but a key determinant that keeps us flailing is that we are relatively new to this. And our fanbase needs to develop.

Absolutely. It takes time. It's just so maddeningly close it can be frustrating for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom