Presenting UConn in Conference Realignment | The Boneyard

Presenting UConn in Conference Realignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Now this is what I meant when I said that I wished that a member of the horde will write something as good as this. Thanks Matt! It's amazing (and incredibly frustrating) that the horde has to fill their UCONN CR profile pieces with jokes and negativity when there is SO much good stuff to highlight.

Reaction Score
Not to mention that UConn accomplished 5 bowls in 7 years, shared the big east title twice, despite having the worst or second worst recruiting class in the conference annually. Picture what it could become when UConn is finally put on equal footing conference-wise with everyone else.

Reaction Score
Please correct spelling to Delany. Don't want that to take away from an excellent article.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
It's definitely a good read. It seemed B1G focused until the end when the Big 12 got brought in for comparison purposes. Like a resume, maybe we need multiple versions of UConn's story depending on who we're trying to cozy up with.
As an add-on, let's not forget the Rudd Center for Nutrition & Obesity moving from Yale to UConn. Nothing should be left off the resume.

pj

Reaction Score
As an add-on, let's not forget the Rudd Center for Nutrition & Obesity moving from Yale to UConn. Nothing should be left off the resume.

Let's forget the Rudd Center. If that's what we have to brag about, we don't have much to brag about.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Dooley said:
Now this is what I meant when I said that I wished that a member of the horde will write something as good as this. Thanks Matt! It's amazing (and incredibly frustrating) that the horde has to fill their UCONN CR profile pieces with jokes and negativity when there is SO much good stuff to highlight.
Last I checked, UConn PR is UCONN PR's job. Not the newspapers. And I assure you, Matt's post has f-all impact. It's meaningless.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Let's forget the Rudd Center. If that's what we have to brag about, we don't have much to brag about.
My point is that you put everything on your resume. It's new this year in addition to the new health center designation and shows a school increasing it's research reach across various subjects. Add that to...

1. One of 33 universities nationwide designated as national resource centers for international business
2. A member of Universitas 21 (only 26 schools internationally and only 3 in the US)
3. Collaboration with Jackson labs (genomic I believe)
4. Collaboration with Alexion Pharmaceuticals (stem cells)

Certainly there's a lot more. Get it out there in addition to the athletics, TV sets, state funding, increased enrollment, the rankings. Make folks outside of CT take notice of what's going on here. I can't say for sure, but I feel like people outside CT have no clue how truly impressive our flagship school is becoming. It's time to toot our own horn.

Reaction Score
The belief that because we are not in a P-5 conference it follows as the night the day as a matter of Carrollian logic that we did not sell ourselves properly to university presidents boggles my mind.

Reaction Score
The belief that because we are not in a P-5 conference it follows as the night the day as a matter of Carrollian logic that we did not sell ourselves properly to university presidents boggles my mind.

It's best not to think too hard about it. Saves you a ton of cash on ibuprofen.

Reaction Score

Sounds like one too many classes with Clyde McKee.

Reaction Score
I applaud the mostly fine effort of this article and would love to see UConn in the BIG.

One major correction: "Hockey East is widely seen as the SEC of college hockey".

Do your research on the the WCHA until the BIG ruined it?

WCHA was a far more dominant conference than Hockey East and it will take years for Hockey East and any other college hockey conference to match its history, actual membership. Denver, Minnesota, Michigan at one point, Michigan State at one point, UND, Wisconsin, Colorado College, Minnesota Duluth, Michigan Tech. Are you kidding me here? That's just so many NCs. Even when Michigan and Michigan State left, the WCHA had the most consistency as college hockey's finest conference.

**The WCHA is the only conference to field the entire Frozen Four.
**They have put far more talent than any other hockey conference into the NHL. I believe last years top 20 in NHL scoring had 6 WCHA alum.
** The 1980 Miracle On Ice squad was almost entirely from the University of Minnesota.
**Even by the time Hockey East formed, the WCHA, on two occasions, won 5 NCS in a row (1979-1983 & 2002-2006). Hockey East's longest streak is 3: 2008-2010. Btw, before Hockey East formed, the WCHA once won 12 NCs in a row: 1955 to 1966.

In other words, the SEC, if lucky, is the WCHA, historically speaking, of college football.

It's a real shame the WCHA was destroyed, much like the Big East - it's frankly borderline disgusting and proves hockey has very little influence in this country. I could never see the SEC folding in football.

Hockey East's hype is a product of Boston media. No more, no less. Ultimately most its NCs come from BC or Boston U - Hockey East is still a two team league.

The historical proof to my arguments are readily available for research. It's called Wikipedia, where sport's stats are hard to deny.

Reaction Score
GFunk- take it easy on Hockey East...WCHA "was" like you said historically great but just like all of UConns national championships, they seem to mean nothing now in this freaking conference reallignment game. I agree that the WCHA was the real deal but Hocky East is not just a 2 team league...there are these two schools called Maine and UNH that show up quite a bit in your Wikipedia stats. Hockey East is the real deal now and in the past.

Reaction Score
Sounds like one too many classes with Clyde McKee.

LMAO. Was one class with Clyde McKee too many? (Just kidding, may he rest in peace, and he was a good enough teacher that I let my son take him 30 years later and that I was discussing him at a Yale Law reuniion with a classmate just last month).

No, I blame Trinity for a lot but the multiple negative sentences is something I picked up from my mentor at work. And it's totally overshadowed by all the good things he taught me.

Reaction Score
No, I blame Trinity for a lot but the multiple negative sentences is something I picked up from my mentor at work.
What's not to like about sentences that are not positive? Or, something equally confusing. :)

Reaction Score
I applaud the mostly fine effort of this article and would love to see UConn in the BIG.

One major correction: "Hockey East is widely seen as the SEC of college hockey".

Do your research on the the WCHA until the BIG ruined it?

WCHA was a far more dominant conference than Hockey East and it will take years for Hockey East and any other college hockey conference to match its history, actual membership. Denver, Minnesota, Michigan at one point, Michigan State at one point, UND, Wisconsin, Colorado College, Minnesota Duluth, Michigan Tech. Are you kidding me here? That's just so many NCs. Even when Michigan and Michigan State left, the WCHA had the most consistency as college hockey's finest conference.

**The WCHA is the only conference to field the entire Frozen Four.
**They have put far more talent than any other hockey conference into the NHL. I believe last years top 20 in NHL scoring had 6 WCHA alum.
** The 1980 Miracle On Ice squad was almost entirely from the University of Minnesota.
**Even by the time Hockey East formed, the WCHA, on two occasions, won 5 NCS in a row (1979-1983 & 2002-2006). Hockey East's longest streak is 3: 2008-2010. Btw, before Hockey East formed, the WCHA once won 12 NCs in a row: 1955 to 1966.

In other words, the SEC, if lucky, is the WCHA, historically speaking, of college football.

It's a real shame the WCHA was destroyed, much like the Big East - it's frankly borderline disgusting and proves hockey has very little influence in this country. I could never see the SEC folding in football.

Hockey East's hype is a product of Boston media. No more, no less. Ultimately most its NCs come from BC or Boston U - Hockey East is still a two team league.

The historical proof to my arguments are readily available for research. It's called Wikipedia, where sport's stats are hard to deny.
Thanks for your smug post. Nobody gives a flying crap about the WCHA because IT DOESN'T EXIST!!! Hockey East is the SEC of college hockey currently. That is a true statement. You can now crawl back into the hole that you came out of. You'd be better off trolling UofM Gopher boards. Thanks for your interest in UCONN Hockey.

Reaction Score
We're not going to the B1G, guys. Not unless they drop the AAU requirement of which there is little indication that they will do so. So it's the Big XII or ACC or bust, I guess.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Last I checked, UConn PR is UCONN PR's job. Not the newspapers. And I assure you, Matt's post has f-all impact. It's meaningless.
Wait. You mean the stuff we put on this board is meaningless? Wow, I guess I can stop waiting for a Pulitzer.
Seriously, stop being a dick.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
CL82 said:
Wait. You mean the stuff we put on this board is meaningless? Wow, I guess I can stop waiting for a Pulitzer. Seriously, stop being a dick.

I'm just saying stop looking in the wrong place for a savior.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Fair point. ESPN is the only media outlet that matters, and they hate UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom