POY is........ | The Boneyard

POY is........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Stewie, without question. Anyone watching the last 2 games would have to be blind to think anything else. I love Loyd's game; but right now, she'd be at best, the 3rd best player on UConn.

HGN

Reaction Score
It definitely is between Stewie and Loyd....It's close..But I would have to go with Stewie.

Reaction Score
Loyd would be the 5th best player at UConn. It sucks, I know, but the laws of the universe just so happen to put the 4 best players in the country on one team. But yea, for all the PC reasons, objectivity and in the name of humility etc. Loyd is a close second.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Stewie, without question. Anyone watching the last 2 games would have to be blind to think anything else. I love Loyd's game; but right now, she'd be at best, the 3rd best player on UConn.

*right* now, Loyd's about the 5th or 6th best player on Notre Dame - I'd say Allen, Mabrey, Cable, Turner, and maybe Reimer have had better NCAA tournaments.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It's close?????? Loyd shoots 12-39 in the Regionals, and it's close?

Just amazed at all the apologies for Loyd's less than glossy performance during crunch time now and for the whole season with her stats. Anyone who has paid attention to the last two ND games knows it's Allen who is the driving force for the team right now with the 51 points and 11 assists in the last two games. And yet there are probably still some saying that poor Jewell has to carry the whole team and throw up all the misses because it's just her and Turner on the Irish.

Reaction Score
It is amazing that Loyd hasn't been scoring as much in the tourney. Has she not been taking as many shots or just not playing as good or a more focused defense on her?

Reaction Score
What's going to be crazy is that there's a decent chance neither Mo nor Tuck get on the wall because they played with Stewie and KML. Maybe with KML graduating it opens a spot for Mo, but there are a lot of good players next year.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It is amazing that Loyd hasn't been scoring as much in the tourney. Has she not been taking as many shots or just not playing as good or a more focused defense on her?

She's getting a lot of defensive attention, but that's normal. She's just off. Missing shots she normally makes.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I think the decision was made before the Tournament. Which doesn't make sense, and the people who voted for Loyd are going to look foolish.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What's going to be crazy is that there's a decent chance neither Mo nor Tuck get on the wall because they played with Stewie and KML. Maybe with KML graduating it opens a spot for Mo, but there are a lot of good players next year.
I think Mo makes one of the 10-player first teams this year.

Next year, Morgan slips into Kaleena's spot. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Just amazed at all the apologies for Loyd's less than glossy performance during crunch time now and for the whole season with her stats. Anyone who has paid attention to the last two ND games knows it's Allen who is the driving force for the team right now with the 51 points and 11 assists in the last two games. And yet there are probably still some saying that poor Jewell has to carry the whole team and throw up all the misses because it's just her and Turner on the Irish.
The balloting took place before the NCAA tourney began, I believe.

Reaction Score
Before the NCAA Tournament anyone who voted Loyd over Stewie is nuts! If you watch both players play and how they affect their team and the opponents it is no contest! Loyd is a great player but isn't in the same universe as Stewie! Loyd is a media creation like Diggins was! McBride was the best player on ND!
You ask ANY Div. I Head Coach and every WNBA HC and they would pick Stewie if they had 1 pick of a college player to start a team!
If Stewie is named, and I think Loyd has already won the pre-tournament vote, The Muffett will truely be a sight to behold!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is frustrating, and it's happened in prior years as well. When you think about the team you could build of UConn graduates that never made the wall:

Laura Lishness
Tiffany Hayes
Kelly Faris
Ashja Jones
Tamika Williams

That team might go undefeated.

Reaction Score
I can say that I don't recall a game that I've ever seen Stewie play better. She was marvelous in all phases of the game and was being disruptive on the defensive end all over the court. Her rebounding was marvelous, her shot was working, and she was a monster in all phases of the game. Doris was so correct in her evaluations. KML and Morgan were terrific but Stewie was on another level.

Reaction Score

I'm pretty comfortable that theoretically, the player of the year voting has nothing to do with the post season tournament so if Loyd didn't hit a shot out of 100 that would have no relevance in the Player of the Year balloting. Stewie, as she has done before, seems to really ramp up her game and players her best ball in the NCAA tournament. KML doesn't do too badly in the post season either nor does Moriah. When you stop to consider that we got Morgan and Breanna and Moriah in the same class, how can you possibly beat that. We'll try this year, I guess, with Collins and Samuelson and Boykin but they do have their work cut out for them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There is no way Mo isn't an All-American this year. Anyone who can't see the high quality of her play either lacks understanding of the game, is blind, biased, or an idiot.

Reaction Score
I'll just take final four MVP again for Stewie and be happy. She probably feels the same.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There is no way Mo isn't an All-American this year. Anyone who can't see the high quality of her play either lacks understanding of the game, is blind, biased, or an idiot.
Or all 3.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm pretty comfortable that theoretically, the player of the year voting has nothing to do with the post season tournament so if Loyd didn't hit a shot out of 100 that would have no relevance in the Player of the Year balloting. Stewie, as she has done before, seems to really ramp up her game and players her best ball in the NCAA tournament. KML doesn't do too badly in the post season either nor does Moriah. When you stop to consider that we got Morgan and Breanna and Moriah in the same class, how can you possibly beat that. We'll try this year, I guess, with Collins and Samuelson and Boykin but they do have their work cut out for them.
Collier. But close.

Although I hope she is deadly, no relation to Barnabas. :cool:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I predict Stewie and Loyd split the five NPOY awards this season. I really think Stewie is due for the Wade, for instance.

Reaction Score
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I predict Stewie and Loyd split the five NPOY awards this season. I really think Stewie is due for the Wade, for instance.
Loyd is a nice player, but Stewie draws attention both on offense, and disrupts things defensively. The best player needs to be seen as more then great offensively.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She took 39 shots. That is hardly being hesitent.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Probably true and in the last third of the season that is a complete injustice. Add the tournament play and it shouldn't be close anymore. Compare Moriah's and Loyd's stats since Christmas and Loyd is not as strong as Moriah.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The balloting took place before the NCAA tourney began, I believe.
So? Anyone who looked at stats not to mention the games before the Tourney began would just see that the Tournament confirmed the story of the regular season. And yes there are some that think that five defenders lock themselves in a ring around Loyd and follow her everywhere she goes on the court, but excusing the 45% FG% - 31% 3-FG% for the supposed best player in the country on the grounds that she has to face good defenders has always been pathetic.

Reaction Score
Lloyd will win it, but I think Moriah has been the most consistently excellent player this season. If I had a vote...and I never will...she would get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom