Power 5 vs. Directors' Cup Standings | The Boneyard

Power 5 vs. Directors' Cup Standings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here is a link to last year's Directors' Cup Final Standings:

http://thedirectorscup.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/june26stand.pdf

What I found interesting were the P5 teams not in the Top 65 final standings.

All SEC teams finished in the Top 65.

The B1G had two teams not in the top 65 if you include Rutgers who was in the AAC at the time of these rankings.

The ACC, Big 12 and PAC 12 each had three teams not in the Top 65. Statistically, that means the Big 12 had the worst overall teams at the bottom of the conference since they only had 10 members.

SEC - None
B1G - Iowa (78); Rutgers (91)
ACC - Wake Forest (70); Pittsburgh (85); Georgia Tech (89)
Big 12 - West Virginia (69); TCU (77); Kansas State (99)
PAC 12 - Utah (72); Oregon State (75); Washington State (149)

Combined, the rankings for the 11 teams in the Power 5 not in the Top 65:

West Virginia - 69
Wake Forest - 70
Utah - 72
Oregon State - 75
TCU - 77
Iowa - 78
Pittsburgh - 85
Georgia Tech - 89
Rutgers - 91
Kansas State - 99
Washington State - 149

Interesting to note that 10 of the 11 are within 30 spots of each other (69-99) and then last place Washington State is 50 spots behind the next lowest team, Kansas State!

So we have 11 Power 5 teams not in the Top 65. So let's look at the Top 11 non-Power 5 schools in the standings. First, I wanted to point out that Louisville finished in 30th place last year in the AAC and was the highest ranked team not in the Power 5 last year, but I do not include them in this list since they are now a Power 5 team.

BYU - 42
Denver - 43
Princeton - 44
Harvard - 49
New Mexico - 51
San Diego State - 56
UConn - 57
Dartmouth - 58
Columbia - 61
Kent State - 62
Cornell - 63

Those 11 non-P5 schools were in the Top 65 in place of the 11 P5 schools listed above.

Now if you want to only compare the standings for schools that play FBS football, you would these 11 schools at the bottom of the standings:

BYU - 42
New Mexico - 51
San Diego State - 56
UConn - 57
Kent State - 62
*West Virginia - 69
*Wake Forest - 70
Akron - 73
Boise State - 74
*Oregon State - 75
*TCU - 77

This means that seven Group of 5 schools are screwed by the fact that seven P5 teams don't pull their own weight, or at least did not do so last year. BYU, New Mexico, San Diego State, UConn, Kent State, Akron and Boise State are left out because TCU, Iowa, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, Rutgers, Kansas State and Washington State are P5 schools with the poorest performing athletic programs in the P5 ranked lower than those Group of 5 schools.

If the AAC had the top 12 Group of 5 schools based on overall athletic program strength, those 12 schools would be:

BYU - 42
New Mexico - 51
San Diego State - 56
UConn - 57
Kent State - 62
Akron - 73
Boise State - 74
Houston - 80
Memphis - 83
Arkansas State - 83
Louisiana Lafayette - 86
Air Force - 87

And if expanded to a superconference:

Navy - 90
South Florida - 93
Tulsa - 94
UCF - 95
SMU - 96
UMass - 97
UNLV - 98
Rice - 104

Of course, this was all for fun. Football and Money obviously dominates everything, not overall sports strength.

Reaction Score
Really?

Points for Field Hockey, Volleyball, Swimming and Diving, Golf, Cross Country.....etc.

Who the heck gives a rip?

I guess only the masses that demonstrate in the street to see their Cross Country on TV....

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Really?

Points for Field Hockey, Volleyball, Swimming and Diving, Golf, Cross Country.....etc.

Who the heck gives a rip?

I guess only the masses that demonstrate in the street to see their Cross Country on TV....

We get it Billy. Football is the only sport that should ever be discussed.

Reaction Score

Don't forget baseball. I've learned from reading Billy's musings on this board that it is the only other college sport that matters. Apparently no one north of Virginia has got the message yet. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Don't forget baseball. I've learned from reading Billy's musings on this board that it is the only other college sport that matters. Apparently no one north of Virginia has got the message yet. :rolleyes:

Warmer weather prolongs the baseball season and gives the south an unfair advantage over northern schools. However, Michigan and ND have had their fair share of success. I also think UConn (not just saying this because I'm on this board) is probably a baseball crazy state being sandwiched between the NY Yankees and Boston Red Sox. And BTW, that line should be north of North Carolina... UVa is a fairly recent (last 10 +/- years) enigma. ;)

Reaction Score
BYU - 42
Denver - 43
Princeton - 44
Harvard - 49
New Mexico - 51
San Diego State - 56
UConn - 57
Dartmouth - 58
Columbia - 61
Kent State - 62
Cornell - 63

Maybe the Ivy League should become P5. And check out the Denver Pioneers. All those NCs in skiing and having a good LAX program are paying off.

Reaction Score

With all of the talks about markets...I wonder just how much of a market exists for some of these sports. Lacrosse is growing in popularity, baseball works in the south, west, and southwest.

I don't ever see much of a TV market for Cross Country, Swimming & Diving, Golf, etc,

They are great participant sports, but much less as a fan sport in terms of followings. As much as I love soccer, I doubt that I'll ever see 10,000 come out for a national finals game.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
With all of the talks about markets...I wonder just how much of a market exists for some of these sports. Lacrosse is growing in popularity, baseball works in the south, west, and southwest.

I don't ever see much of a TV market for Cross Country, Swimming & Diving, Golf, etc,

They are great participant sports, but much less as a fan sport in terms of followings. As much as I love soccer, I doubt that I'll ever see 10,000 come out for a national finals game.

There would be 10,000 this year if you placed the finals near a participant. Hell, UConn draws about 5,000 for early season matches, I am positive we could get 15k+ for a national finals game.

Reaction Score

Cal Poly at UCSB drew nearly 13,000 fans last year. . .

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't take any metric seriously if it lists a school with three national championships in the same year as #57...

Reaction Score
There just is a world of difference in relative attention given to a championship depending on the sport...

It was years before I found out that the FSU Cheerleaders had been awarded a National Championship...the local paper never mentioned it.

The football NC brought three inch headlines at the top of page one...like VJ day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom