"Post-Spring Practice Depth Chart" | The Boneyard

"Post-Spring Practice Depth Chart"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/08/look-at-uconns-post-spring-practice.html

>>Just arrived in Newport for the annual American Athletic Conference football media day. The preseason poll is set to be released in about an hour but I can share with you the depth chart in the UConn prospectus titled the "post-spring practice depth chart."

There's plenty of co-starters and the two-deep chart also includes Ryan Crozier (who is out for the season with a leg injury) as the starting center so take what I am about to post with a grain of salt.<<

QB: Bryant Shirreffs or Tim Boyle
RB: Ron Johnson or Max DeLorenzo or Josh Marriner or Arkeel Newsome
WR: Noel Thomas; Thomas Lucas
WR: Dhameer Bradley; Brian Lemelle
TEL Tommy Myers; Alec Bloom
LT: Richard Levy; Steve Hashemi
LG: Tommy Hopkins or Brendan Vechery
C: Ryan Crozier; Daniel Oak or Kyle Bockeloh
RG: Tyler Samra; Zach Rugg
RT: Andreas Knappe; Trey Rutherford

DE: Kenton Adeyemi or Cole Ormsby
DT: Julian Campenni; Mikal Myers
DT: Folorunso Fatukasi; Sheriden Lawley or James Atkins
DE: Lake Carrezola; Cameron Stapleton
LB: Graham Stewart; Vontae Diggs or Omaine Stephens
LB: Marquise Vann; Matthew Walsh
LB: Junior Joseph; Jon Hicks
CB: Jhavon Williams; Brice McAllister or Javon Hadley
CB: Jamar Summers; John Green or Javon Hadley
FS: Obi Melifonwu; Anthony Watkins or Ellis Marder
SS: Andrew Adams; Junior Lee or Jordan Floyd

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Couple of observations:

Anyone who thought Anderson was going to come in and win the starting role may want to begin to think otherwise. Pretty obvious at this point his signing was more about depth to redshirt Davis than it was bringing him in and hoping he could be our starting QB.

Crozier is still listed on the chart which is kind of interesting. Has there been a public announcement about him being out for the season yet? I remember the twitter chat with Season's Over them mentioning something about it but can't remember if there has been a formal announcement.

While Blackwell has size, he's going to really have to work with Balis to get down from 340 to probably 315 with more muscle. Going to be a heck of a transition for him, which is why he isn't listed as a possibility for DT even though he's bigger than practically everyone.

I don't know why but I get the feeling Brice McAllister will have an impact at corner. Also don't sleep on Javon Hadley. Summers is the real deal. Also we have corners named Jhavon and Javon.

Is there a better set of starting safeties in the American than Obi and Andrew? Would be hard pressed to find a duo better than that IMO.

Reaction Score
Couple of observations:...Anyone who thought Anderson was going to come in and win the starting role may want to begin to think otherwise. Pretty obvious at this point his signing was more about depth to redshirt Davis than it was bringing him in and hoping he could be our starting QB..

For all I know is he faceplants but heck, he wasn't even on campus till May and hasn't even had an official practice w/ the team yet.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm most worried about the center position on this roster chart. One more injury and then what? time to coach up the long snapper?

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
For all I know is he faceplants but heck, he wasn't even on campus till May and hasn't even had an official practice w/ the team yet.
Drew: Your posts are usually well informed but I totally agree with Medic on this. How can you make a statement like that about GA when he hasn't even had a practice with the team yet? The fact that Crozier is still listed on the 2 deep should be evidence enough that list is suspect at this point.

Reaction Score
Couple of observations:

Anyone who thought Anderson was going to come in and win the starting role may want to begin to think otherwise. Pretty obvious at this point his signing was more about depth to redshirt Davis than it was bringing him in and hoping he could be our starting QB.

Crozier is still listed on the chart which is kind of interesting. Has there been a public announcement about him being out for the season yet? I remember the twitter chat with Season's Over them mentioning something about it but can't remember if there has been a formal announcement.

While Blackwell has size, he's going to really have to work with Balis to get down from 340 to probably 315 with more muscle. Going to be a heck of a transition for him, which is why he isn't listed as a possibility for DT even though he's bigger than practically everyone.

I don't know why but I get the feeling Brice McAllister will have an impact at corner. Also don't sleep on Javon Hadley. Summers is the real deal. Also we have corners named Jhavon and Javon.

Is there a better set of starting safeties in the American than Obi and Andrew? Would be hard pressed to find a duo better than that IMO.

It's a post spring depth chart. None of the new arrivals are on there for exactly that reason. Pretty obvious this was put together before Crozier suffered his injury (yes, he is officially out for the year). As for Obi and Andrew? Jury is still out on them to me. Adams was solid against the run but not so much against the pass. Obi had his well documented issues. I know nothing about the other's teams starting safeties but I'm not sold that we have the best duo in the league.

As for the depth chart itself, I think the "OR" after Shirreffs and Ron Johnson are technicalities. I'd be shocked if either of them get beat out.

Rutherford at OT surprises me a bit. I would've thought he would be battling Hopkins for the starting LG spot. If he's truly going to be a backup to Knappe then I hope the staff sees the value in redshirting him. Same for Hashemi at LT. Schafenacker came in here with a little bit of hoopla and still can't get on the 2 deep. Reason numero uno why I completely dismiss comments from the recruitniks who attempt to evaluate their highlight film from HS.

Reaction Score
Little surprised Tommy Meyers is ahead of Bloom. Good for the kid from Tolland. But there will be eight TEs in camp, lots of competition still to come.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
It's a post spring depth chart. None of the new arrivals are on there for exactly that reason. Pretty obvious this was put together before Crozier suffered his injury (yes, he is officially out for the year). As for Obi and Andrew? Jury is still out on them to me. Adams was solid against the run but not so much against the pass. Obi had his well documented issues. I know nothing about the other's teams starting safeties but I'm not sold that we have the best duo in the league.

Tim Fontenault
@Tim_Fontenault

Diaco also said his safeties are the best tandem in the conference. "Name me a better one."

Reaction Score
desmondconner9:58am via Twitter for iPhone
Diaco: Tommy Myers and Alec Bloom will play plenty at tight end; Cole Ormsby and Kenton Adeyemi in battle at DE #UConnFootball

desmondconner9:59am via Twitter for iPhone
Diaco: Matt Walsh and Marquise Vann in battle for starting linebacker position... Wow what a push by Walsh #UConnFootball

desmondconner10:01am via Twitter for iPhone
Diaco: Front needs to be driven by one of the linebackers, most demonstrative guy will start "and I don't care that's it" #UConnFootball

Reaction Score
Per Des:

"Diaco said there were a few positions battles going on but none of them were more interesting than the one at linebacker between recently converted fullback Matt Walsh, a junior from Madison, and senior Marquise Vann, a senior who led the Huskies in tackles last season with 105. Walsh was an All-State player and two-way player in high school."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...a-day-football-uconn-0804-20150804-story.html

Reaction Score

>>But perhaps his strongest words came when prodded about senior defensive tackle Julian Campenni.

"He has made a whole new level of investment, that he was left off the all-conference team is astounding because nobody whipped him and very few blocked him. he was too much for most centers in the league," Diaco said. "That he wasn’t on the all-conference team anywhere was a tragedy. Now I had a chance to watch that, I watched him in he games and he only got better. His conditioning is higher, he is quicker, he is stronger. he is more tuned in, his football intelligence is higher so what is he going to do now? If they couldn’t block him a year ago, what are they going to do now? he is going to be really something."<<

Reaction Score
Little surprised Tommy Meyers is ahead of Bloom. Good for the kid from Tolland. But there will be eight TEs in camp, lots of competition still to come.
Coventry, sorry to be "that guy"

Reaction Score
BD had very strong comments about Byron Jones' ability before last season and he turned out to be right. Let's hope the praises he has for this year's team are as spot on.

From a Des story earlier today:

Diaco .. "I trust [wide receiver] Noel Thomas — because Noel Thomas has done the work. [Thomas], I’ve watched as much as I can per NCAA rules. This guy is making an investment. I’ve been around great receivers and he looks like one of them. I sat here a year ago and who believed me when I said Byron Jones is one of the best corners in America? Nobody, not one person, believed me.”

Reaction Score
From a Des story earlier today:

Diaco .. "I trust [wide receiver] Noel Thomas — because Noel Thomas has done the work. [Thomas], I’ve watched as much as I can per NCAA rules. This guy is making an investment. I’ve been around great receivers and he looks like one of them. I sat here a year ago and who believed me when I said Byron Jones is one of the best corners in America? Nobody, not one person, believed me.”
Disco knows his s***. He knows a first round talent when he sees it. Not saying Thomas is first round talent, but you also need someone to get him the ball. He has two years to show what he's made of. Love this kids motivation and desire to be great. One of the bright spots from a year ago for sure.

Reaction Score
Disco knows his s***. He knows a first round talent when he sees it. Not saying Thomas is first round talent, but you also need someone to get him the ball. He has two years to show what he's made of. Love this kids motivation and desire to be great. One of the bright spots from a year ago for sure.
And having an outside threat helps take pressure off the line of scrimmage because the safety has to play deep. I think the offense will come together and at least show signs of life every game. Even if they only score 3-4 more points per game I'll be happy if they look a lot more fluid. 10/11 starts return for next year and almost everyone from the two deep, so a decent looking offense this year could be a great one next year

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
When I look at that 2-deep I see balance. We need guys to make plays on offense and a QB to emerge but there is some potential there.

Reaction Score
And having an outside threat helps take pressure off the line of scrimmage because the safety has to play deep. I think the offense will come together and at least show signs of life every game. Even if they only score 3-4 more points per game I'll be happy if they look a lot more fluid. 10/11 starts return for next year and almost everyone from the two deep, so a decent looking offense this year could be a great one next year
Biggest thing is returning starters and depth on the roster. They've all been in the program now, they know what is expected. They should all understand playbook better and schemes etc. Have to think there is improvement across the board. Competition throughout every position. If you're not expecting progress and an improved team from top to bottom, there is something wrong with you. No attrition other than a dismissal (McQuillan) and Basilica (a walk on). Can 't say expectations are sky high, but the future I would say should be bright with the squad.

Reaction Score
As to WRs, it does appear he is splitting the taller from the smaller guys (Noel and Lucas versus Dhameer and Lemelle)

Didn't see any mention of it, but surprised no one noticed we have 10 starters on O and no depth for FB. Should we expect to see more 2 TE and 3 WR formations? Maybe that's why they put TEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom