Post-Combine Mock Draft (Daniel Jeremiah) - Byron Jones projected to 1st Round | The Boneyard

Post-Combine Mock Draft (Daniel Jeremiah) - Byron Jones projected to 1st Round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In today's pass happy nfl, I think teams are going to love his versatility. The one thing that stands out to me with Jones is his closing speed.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Wasn't Jones a 5th-7th rounder prior to the Combine? Good for him, but I hope for career longevity (and UConn's) sake, he doesn't become another Mike Mamula. Ironic though that he's projected to go to the Eagles.

I don't see the Eagles staying at 20. Kelly wants Mariota.

Reaction Score
You could say he has "jumped" into the conversation about being picked in the first round. Kidding aside, he was a kid that Mcshay and Kiper were talking about how great he looked on tape, and how important the combine would be for him. Then he has that performance at the combine and I guess people are wondering if you could possibly have a special player on your hands.

Reaction Score
If BJ goes in the 1st round it will be a quantum leap in his rookie contract. Last year's 20th pick Brandon Cook's rookie contract was worth $8,500,000!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbe...fl-draft-1st-round-rookie-salary-projections/

There is also a inherent different between draftees picked within rounds 1-2 and those between 3-7. Early round draft picks (due in large part to the large investments the teams are making) are much more likely to have their salaries guaranteed. Secondly, the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement has a provision referred to as the “25% Increase Rule” which prohibits a rookies base salary plus bonus from increasing by more than 25% each year of their contract. This is why larger bonuses then allow for a significantly increased salaries in subsequent years as compared to later round picks. The 4-year minimum base salaries for players in this years draft are as follows: $420,000 (Year 1), $510,000 (Year 2), $600,000 (Year 3), $690,000 (Year 4).

The top five NFL corners all make over 10 Million per year with Darrelle Revis tops at $16 Million! BJ's agent must be a very happy guy!!

Bj getting picked in the first round probably will add $6,000,000+ to his rookie contract.

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_much_do_fifth_round_nfl_draft_picks_earn

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
During the combine one of the NFL network guys had Jones listed as his #50 overall prospect. Film had him as a 2-4 round pick. His injury may have caused some to be concerned.
It's not uncommon for a 2-4 round pick to sneek in to the 1st round with a great work out.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Did he run the 40 yet? I'd wait to see that at the UConn pro day before penciling him into rounds 1-2.

Reaction Score
Did he run the 40 yet? I'd wait to see that at the UConn pro day before penciling him into rounds 1-2.

Supposedly a sub - 4.4 40 is very possible with him. If he gets there I don't think he gets past the Seahawks in Round 1.

Reaction Score
With the NFL cracking down on knuckleheads...Jones and Davis are a refreshing change...2 kids who are good kids, work hard and are athletic as well. IMHO if it comes down to where numbers and measureables are pretty much the same...their character will make the difference.

Reaction Score
With the NFL cracking down on knuckleheads...Jones and Davis are a refreshing change...2 kids who are good kids, work hard and are athletic as well. IMHO if it comes down to where numbers and measureables are pretty much the same...their character will make the difference.

So true, especially due to the recent adverse publicity with Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
And in the updated mock draft released by Todd McShay (ESPN), he has Jones listed as the 4th best player available at the end of his first round mock. So I guess a first round pick is not out of the question. Amazing what a workout in mesh shorts can do to change perceptions!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Word is The Seahawks are also interested in Jones with their first round pick.

Listening to the announcers at the combine, they said he didn't have to run the 40 after his broad jump and vertical. Basic point was that every scout knows the explosion numbers he put up translate in to a 4.3x number.

I'm sure he'll run it at the pro day but think about it. He put on such a dominant physical performance that he made running a 40 an afterthought in scouts' mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom