Porzingis to Boston? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Porzingis to Boston?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
All true (Celts were #7 in regular season assists at 26.7pg), though in playoffs they also underachieved against the Hawks and to a lesser extent vs the 76ers. The offense & system wasn't diversified enough to change on the fly in playoffs. They were also ranked 7th in playoff assist rate dropping down to 24.2pg and obviously 7/16 is middle of road.
Some of that is fixed by new assistants. And 100% agree some of that is fixed by Porzingis' P&R abilities and inside presence/effectiveness on post-ups.

My point though is they just lost leading assist player (6.3 for Smart) and many of the team's players are shot first and mentality-wise primarily score first types. Tatum, Brown and Porzingis are kind of ball stoppers.
Shot First: Porzingis, Tatum (getting better at passing when needs to), Brown, Brogdon
Neutral: Horford, RWilliams, GWilliams
Pass First: White
So just might need another player on the roster to make passing more infectious.
Agree with you they need facilitators. Including Grant as neutral is a stretch, he may be the biggest ball stopper on the team. Ultimately, Tatum needs to be even better (he got much better) and Brown has to start passing the ball in situations other than drive and dish to bigs. He's pretty good at that, but only passes because he gets doubled.

I expect Pritchard to play more minutes, he moves the ball. Brogdan is a PG who played almost exclusively as a shooting guard last year. I'm curious to see what happens if he plays with no White or Smart on the court. I think the offense needs some tweaks, I just don't think an old school "point guard" is the answer. Ultimately they play through Tatum and he just has to get better at making everyone else better, as does Brown.

Reaction Score
This is awesome. Fixes Celtics longstanding need for a pass first PG, the succession of guards that have played with Tatum & Brown have ALL been score first. Plus gets super spicy with Holiday looking for revenge on Bucks, seems like the Celtics more often have guys seeking vengeance on them vs a Celtic out to punish team that traded him.

So now 'just' have the bigs problem. oft injured Porzingis, 37yrold Horford, & oft injured Time Lord wasn't exactly the most staunch front line. Now its thinner & a lot older. Need someone off the waiver wire or a midseason pickup

Even though there's a role for PPritchard, it is less than it would have been with oft injured Malcom Brogdon = he is the trade bait for a reliable defensive/rebounding C/F.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This is awesome. Fixes Celtics longstanding need for a pass first PG, the succession of guards that have played with Tatum & Brown have ALL been score first. Plus gets super spicy with Holiday looking for revenge on Bucks, seems like the Celtics more often have guys seeking vengeance on them vs a Celtic out to punish team that traded him.

So now 'just' have the bigs problem. oft injured Porzingis, 37yrold Horford, & oft injured Time Lord wasn't exactly the most staunch front line. Now its thinner & a lot older. Need someone off the waiver wire or a midseason pickup

Even though there's a role for PPritchard, it is less than it would have been with oft injured Malcom Brogdon = he is the trade bait for a reliable defensive/rebounding C/F.
The player swap is fine. On the C situation, Brad is trying to bring back Theis. The part of the trade I hate are the two first round picks. Feels like a massive over-pay for Holliday. Especially since he's a two-year rental. Just a horrible trade from a long term perspective.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The part of the trade I hate are the two first round picks. Feels like a massive over-pay for Holliday.

Picks come and go these days. The C's got something for pretty much nothing.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Picks come and go these days. The C's got something for pretty much nothing.
Picks can become Jason Tatum and Jalen Brown (or at least Rob and Grant Williams). Holliday is 33 and has two years on his deal. Celtics better hope that Jordan Walsh becomes a contributor (he might). I see the details that it that their own pick is 2029 and the Warriors pick in 2024, so that's not too bad. They still have their pick next year. Not as bad as I thought.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Picks can become Jason Tatum and Jalen Brown (or at least Rob and Grant Williams). Holliday is 33 and has two years on his deal. Celtics better hope that Jordan Walsh becomes a contributor (he might). I see the details that it that their own pick is 2029 and the Warriors pick in 2024, so that's not too bad. They still have their pick next year. Not as bad as I thought.
The way things are now, a team can always get more picks if that's what they want to do. And two years on his deal is perfect for what they want him for. The future is now, we're not in the Bloomiverse.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The way things are now, a team can always get more picks if that's what they want to do. And two years on his deal is perfect for what they want him for. The future is now, we're not in the Bloomiverse.
I'm coming around to it for that reason.

Reaction Score
I'm coming around to it for that reason.
I like the Theis thing, now a world champion and they really just need bigs for rebounding & defending Embid, Jokics of world.
You should be coming around for these reasons too;
1. Holiday is really good, as good or better defender of guards vs Smart, close on wings (notwithstanding Butler torching him in playoffs last year) and a better offensive player than Smart
2. Holiday is an even better person, he took a year off from his early NBA career to be with his wife thru her cancer treatments
3. Win now per above, Celtics needed to go all-in on Tatum & Brown window - Bucks were the East favorite for less than a week
4. As I said above making the Bucks games a legit rivalry now is great.
5. Holiday didn't go to Heat or Sixers

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
2. Holiday is an even better person, he took a year off from his early NBA career to be with his wife thru her cancer treatments
I always wondered if a player took a healthy year off it would payoff with a longer effective career. The body would have time to heal whatever nagging issues going on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom