Portsmouth Live Feed | The Boneyard

Portsmouth Live Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
Daniels must be a pretty legit 6-9 with shoes then bc he is over an inch taller than Giffey.

Reaction Score
Daniels must be a pretty legit 6-9 with shoes then bc he is over an inch taller than Giffey.

Daniels measured 6'8.5" in shoes last summer at the LeBron James Skills Academy, so that means he's really 6'7". I wish College & NBA would list their real heights without shoes. Today's players are listed much taller than they really are.

That said, Giffey's wingspan is greater than I expected. Usually a good sign for being a solid defender, along with footwork.

caw

Reaction Score
He finished with 4 blocks and 4 steals! Also had 9pts and 5rbs. Giffey is a NBA level defender.

He also was the first guy to bring his team together and try and get them settled. I wonder if he will get a Chicago invite from this.

Reaction Score
As many have stated, Giffey would be perfect on the Spurs, except they already have his clone in Danny Green. Though I tend to think Giffey is a better defender & more athletic, but Green could handle the ball better. At least Giffey doesn't do that dorky pre game dance Green does. Ugh.... Something says Dirk will have a say on the Mavericks Summer League team with Giffey. Dirk has become a big Giffey fan. Go Deutschland...

Reaction Score
To me, the cost of selecting Giffey in the 2nd round is all upside for any NBA team. Park him in Europe somewhere, own his rights, bring him to the states for the summer and see what happens. No risk, all reward.

Reaction Score
Niels is gonna get a summer league invite. Maybe he sneaks into the 2nd round.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
Daniels measured 6'8.5" in shoes last summer at the LeBron James Skills Academy, so that means he's really 6'7". I wish College & NBA would list their real heights without shoes. Today's players are listed much taller than they really are.

That said, Giffey's wingspan is greater than I expected. Usually a good sign for being a solid defender, along with footwork.

Why does it matter? It's not like they're playing the game barefoot.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Why does it matter? It's not like they're playing the game barefoot.

6'5"...with the afro, 6'9"

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I think Draftexpress prevents pasting of their content but here's a short blurb on his performance yesterday

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2014-Portsmouth-Invitational-Tournament-Day-Two-4475

Niels Giffey, 6-7, Small Forward, UConn– 9 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 blocks, 4 steals – Giffey was incredibly active defensively, making a number of terrific hustle plays. His solid measurements (6-7 with a 6-10 wingspan), ability to make outside shots (48% 3P% this year), solid defense, and unselfish mistake-free style of play could certainly get him some looks from NBA teams. If he doesn't make a NBA roster, look for him to emerge at the highest level of European basketball immediately thanks to his international experience (he started at the 2013 FIBA Eurobasket) and German passport.

From DraftExpress.comhttp://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2zGFzVSpL
http://www.draftexpress.com

9 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 blocks, 4 steals
What a stat line!

Reaction Score
How about the posters who scoff at the idea giffey could make an nba roster? there are plenty!

Reaction Score
I was also interested in reading the Davante Gardner analysis. I think the most telling thing about him, and what would have sent up a red flag for me, is at the end of the game with them up 4 he comes out high and stands there preventing a guard or at least a better free throw shooter access to the pass. This resulted in him getting the ball and a foul. He proceeded to brick two free throws. It is obvious he was more concerned with trying to pad his numbers rather then his team winning. He had been terrible from the free throw line all game and he was probably the last person you wanted taking the free throws for his team. I realize the games was about showcasing their potential NBA potential, but all that highlighted was a selfish player. That was in sharp contrast to Neil's unselfish play, his doing all the little things for the team, and playing within himself and helping his team win. You never felt that he was more concerned with himself over the team even in that venue. A definite asset to whatever team eventually ends up with him, whether it is in the NBA or Europe.

Reaction Score
He's just the kind of player who ends up making an NBA team because he played at UCONN and learned the UCONN way.

Reaction Score
3 old big east guys getting it done. gardner from marquette, starks from gtown, and giff. stockton looks good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom