Poor Kemba | The Boneyard

Poor Kemba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Averaging 29 points, 3.7 rebounds, and 6.7 assists the past three games, scored 20+ in 7 of the last 10 games...yet the Bobcats have still lost 13 in a row.

Truthfully, this is probably the best thing for that team in the long run, as they desperately need another top-flight talent. But this much losing must wear on someone after awhile.

Reaction Score
The Bobcats should take Shabazz Muhammad, IMO, if they get the chance. He's not a sure-fire great NBA player like some of the kids who came out last year, but the Bobcats desperately need a two guard and he can play the two. He's putting up 18 points on 48% shooting and 48% from three this season at UCLA, and that's while working his way back from an injury. Muhammad-MKG-Kemba is a good trio to go forward with on the perimeter - unfortunately, it's starting to look like the Cats whiffed on the Biyombo pick.

Reaction Score
Taking Muhammad as a top 3 pick would prove to be yet another disaster for the bobcats front office . He was so overhyped and doesn't even have the remarkable athleticism everybody said he had. He did randomly lose 15 pounds recently so my opinion might change .

Reaction Score
Taking Muhammad as a top 3 pick would prove to be yet another disaster for the bobcats front office . He was so overhyped and doesn't even have the remarkable athleticism everybody said he had. He did randomly lose 15 pounds recently so my opinion might change .

I agree on Muhammad...but then again I said almost the same about Kyrie Irvin when he was at Duke.:eek: I think if MKG continue to look good and develop, if the draft were today, then Charlotte has to take that chance to get that 1-2-3 combination with Shabazz.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
They need a big man. Enosch Wolf lottery pick? Or how about that kid from Indiana Zeller?

Reaction Score
They desperately need a BIG man.

7 wins a year ago, 13 games and counting losing streak this year...They need talent & lots if it more than they need any position, except PG of course.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
They need talent more...

It's too bad BG is an undersized 2 ... because he could fill that role nicely. I agree they need talent but they just get murdered down low. Biyombo/Diop/Haywood just don't cut it. I'd be willing to give Biyombo some more time, but they need help up there.

Reaction Score
Not sure about them desperately needing a two guard. Gerald Henderson is a solid shooting guard, and you also got Ben Gordon coming of the bench. Look at their big men. Byron Mullens has no post game, just chucks up threes, and Biyombo has no offensive game at all. In my opinion there biggest priority is drafting a quality scoring center.

Reaction Score
Man, UConn alums have been buried on some absolutely dreadful teams the last few years. The Bobcats, the Wizards, the Pistons.

At least Ray, Rip, and Rudy get to play for contenders.

Reaction Score
It's too bad BG is an undersized 2 ... because he could fill that role nicely. I agree they need talent but they just get murdered down low. Biyombo/Diop/Haywood just don't cut it. I'd be willing to give Biyombo some more time, but they need help up there.
BG, at this point in his career, and Henderson don't have nearly the upside Muhammed is "supposed" to have. There may be no more than 1 or 2 players in college that have simular upside projections, which is my point. Given that, Charlotte shouldn't be too clever with their pick and go primarily for elite talent vs. specific need.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
BG, at this point in his career, and Henderson don't have nearly the upside Muhammed is "supposed" to have. There may be no more than 1 or 2 players in college that have simular upside projections, which is my point. Given that, Charlotte shouldn't be too clever with their pick and go primarily for elite talent vs. specific need.

I'm partially with you on talent vs. immediate need. I always believe you should draft the best possible player because they're likely to benefit your team with production or in a trade. But Henderson is still only 25 ... just his 4th year in the league. If Kemba continues his high level of play (and continues to improve) I see less of a need for "elite" talent at the 2 and rather something similar to what they have (a combination of a young slasher scorer and a good 6th man). I also believe MKG has a lot of upside. They just have nothing up front to speak of.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Never draft for need when you're rebuilding.

They do have a nice base with Kemba, MKG and Biyombo. But they should be going with best available.

Reaction Score
Admittedly, I have only seen Muhammad play a couple times. But aside from his decision not to attend UConn, what makes him overhyped?

Freshmen very rarely live up to the hype. Do people remember how atrocious Jrue Holiday looked in his one year at UCLA? He's a star now.

Reaction Score
Holiday oozed potential with nba size and athleticism at the pg. 6'3 and also coachable . Muhammad looked like an out of shape 3 , who was getting most of his looks off awkward post ups . people were saying he was a rich mans harden, he isn't that level of playmaker. he isn't nearly as athletic as his YouTube highlights would lead you to believe . That kid from Kansas though ...

Reaction Score
There is a legitimate case to be made that Kemba's season to date warrants All-Star consideration. Fairly or unfairly, he won't get much recognition simply because he plays for a terrible team. Then again, Kemba and Kyrie Irving have been relatively even this season, and Kyrie plays on an even worse team than Kemba, all the while receiving much more hype. Let's compare Kemba's numbers to his Eastern conference peers:

Jrue Holiday - 18.4 PPG, 8.9 APG, 3.9 RPG, 1.5 SPG, 45% FG, 33% 3P, 3.8 TO, 2.34 A/TO 18.1 PER

Kyrie Irving - 23.6 PPG, 5.5 APG, 3.7 RPG, 1.3 SPG, 48% FG, 42% 3P, 4.1 TO, 1,34 A/TO 21.2 PER

Rajon Rondo - 13.8 PPG, 12.3 APG, 5.0 RPG, 2.0 SPG, 52% FG, 25% 3P, 3.9 TO, 3.15 A/TO 20.0 PER

Deron Williams - 16.8 PPG, 8.2 APG, 3.0 RPG, 1.0 SPG, 40% FG, 29% 3P, 3.0 TO, 2.73 A/TO 17.3 PER

Kemba Walker - 18.8 PPG, 6.1 APG, 3.2 RPG, 2.0 SPG, 44% FG, 32% 3P, 2.2 TO, 2.77 A/TO 20.3 PER

As you can see, Kemba has been as good, if not better, than all of them except Rondo. Kyrie Irving is the most efficient scorer of the bunch, but his assist to turnover ratio leaves a lot to be desired, and he's missed nine games this season. Deron Williams is shooting under 40%. John Wall and Derrick Rose haven't played a game. Kemba is second amongst the group in scoring, second in A/TO ratio, and second in PER. He's fourth in assists and fourth in shooting percentage, but everybody else on the list besides Kyrie plays on a contender with at leats a couple other reliable scoring options. Kemba has no such benefit, and he's the single biggest reason a historically awful team from a year ago has been much more competitive. Defensively he's rated higher than all of them by most of the metrics I've looked at.

Kemba's also been better than Lawson and Curry. Eric Bledsoe has put up some impressive numbers, but comeon, the kid only plays 18 minutes a game. That would be like me saying Andre Drummond is better than Al Horford - just not the case.

I'm not saying Kemba doesn't have a ways to go before he can join the discussion with guys like Paul, Rondo, Rose, Westbrook, etc., but as of right now he's a boarderline top ten PG inching closer to All-Star caliber (this season) with every start. Obviously, I'd give the nod to Rondo to start the game, because he's been by far the best PG in the East this season. Holiday would be my second pick because he's managed to keep an offensively-challenged Sixers team in contention. But those who don't think Kemba is in the conversation with guys like Curry, Wall, Rubio, Lawson, etc. haven't been paying very close attention.

Reaction Score
There is a legitimate case to be made that Kemba's season to date warrants All-Star consideration. Fairly or unfairly, he won't get much recognition simply because he plays for a terrible team. Then again, Kemba and Kyrie Irving have been relatively even this season, and Kyrie plays on an even worse team than Kemba, all the while receiving much more hype. Let's compare Kemba's numbers to his Eastern conference peers:

Jrue Holiday - 18.4 PPG, 8.9 APG, 3.9 RPG, 1.5 SPG, 45% FG, 33% 3P, 3.8 TO, 2.34 A/TO 18.1 PER

Kyrie Irving - 23.6 PPG, 5.5 APG, 3.7 RPG, 1.3 SPG, 48% FG, 42% 3P, 4.1 TO, 1,34 A/TO 21.2 PER

Rajon Rondo - 13.8 PPG, 12.3 APG, 5.0 RPG, 2.0 SPG, 52% FG, 25% 3P, 3.9 TO, 3.15 A/TO 20.0 PER

Deron Williams - 16.8 PPG, 8.2 APG, 3.0 RPG, 1.0 SPG, 40% FG, 29% 3P, 3.0 TO, 2.73 A/TO 17.3 PER

Kemba Walker - 18.8 PPG, 6.1 APG, 3.2 RPG, 2.0 SPG, 44% FG, 32% 3P, 2.2 TO, 2.77 A/TO 20.3 PER

As you can see, Kemba has been as good, if not better, than all of them except Rondo. Kyrie Irving is the most efficient scorer of the bunch, but his assist to turnover ratio leaves a lot to be desired, and he's missed nine games this season. Deron Williams is shooting under 40%. John Wall and Derrick Rose haven't played a game. Kemba is second amongst the group in scoring, second in A/TO ratio, and second in PER. He's fourth in assists and fourth in shooting percentage, but everybody else on the list besides Kyrie plays on a contender with at leats a couple other reliable scoring options. Kemba has no such benefit, and he's the single biggest reason a historically awful team from a year ago has been much more competitive. Defensively he's rated higher than all of them by most of the metrics I've looked at.

Kemba's also been better than Lawson and Curry. Eric Bledsoe has put up some impressive numbers, but comeon, the kid only plays 18 minutes a game. That would be like me saying Andre Drummond is better than Al Horford - just not the case.

I'm not saying Kemba doesn't have a ways to go before he can join the discussion with guys like Paul, Rondo, Rose, Westbrook, etc., but as of right now he's a boarderline top ten PG inching closer to All-Star caliber (this season) with every start. Obviously, I'd give the nod to Rondo to start the game, because he's been by far the best PG in the East this season. Holiday would be my second pick because he's managed to keep an offensively-challenged Sixers team in contention. But those who don't think Kemba is in the conversation with guys like Curry, Wall, Rubio, Lawson, etc. haven't been paying very close attention.

Sold.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc