POLL: least anticipated NCAA tourney matchup | The Boneyard

POLL: least anticipated NCAA tourney matchup

Which NCAA Tourney matchup would you least hope to transpire in 2014?

• Lady Vols in Nashville

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • UCOnn-Louisville IV

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Notre Dame in the Final Four...again???

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
So, I've been thinking about matchups that could happen in the tourney now that UConn's schedule is out. There are three scenarios that may not appeal to me.

UConn-Louisville IV

The AAC felt it just had to pit UConn and Lousviille against each other twice in the regular season. Of course, that happened to Notre Dame three years in a row...and then they played the conference tourney championship...and then they met up for a fourth time in the national semis. No team has beaten a team four times in one season. Even Baylor felt the sting of that in 2011 as well. In short, I'm skeptical Louisville would be pitted in the same bracket as UConn, but if they met in the national semis for a fourth time, I'd certainly have some nerves. Yes, both UConn and Louisville would have to face each other in the AAC tourney as well, but I do expect that to happen. A fourth matchup in the NCAAs would not be desirable.

UConn-Tennessee in Nashville

There is no way these teams would face each other in a tourney other than in the LV's home state. They just won't be in the same bracket (though I wouldn't be surprised if that changes at some point). But if they do meet in Nashville? Hype, hoopla, hostile territory, etc. Is that the match everyone wants or the match many UConn fans don't want? I'm curious.

UConn-Notre Dame

This is definitely an interesting scenario to me. How good will ND be with Skylar leaving? Can LLoyd, Achonwa, McBride, and Reimer put ND closer to national contender status again? What will their seeding be? How much would the tourney organizers want to see UCOnn vs ND in a regional semi or regional final? At this point, I don't have a good feel for how good Notre Dame will be, but I also don't have a good feel for whether the Irish would end up in the same bracket as UConn (if indeed UConn is a #1 seed and ND is not). I know there would be some pre-game jitters for this one- is it the doomsday scenario? And what if ND is a #1 and BOTH teams make the national semis?

Which would you pick? Or is there another possibility you can think of?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Interesting question for you folks; in the interest of accuracy however, the AAC didn't feel it had to pit UConn / Louisville twice in the season in the sense it sounds, since everyone in the AAC plays everyone twice this year.

Interestingly, as an outsider, on paper none of those matchups seem especially scary this season for UConn, although, as Alex says, few have any idea how good ND (or LV or Louisville) will be and surely no idea of how teams would be bracketed.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Interesting question for you folks; in the interest of accuracy however, the AAC didn't feel it had to pit UConn / Louisville twice in the season in the sense it sounds, since everyone in the AAC plays everyone twice this year.

Yes,

And frankly, I'd expect that Louisville would be more unhappy about the prospect than we would be.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Although I agree with all my fellow Boneyarders and welcomed guests, I wonder who will be the surprise team???

I feel that there is complete dominance at the top the last few years (UCONN, Baylor, ND), parity is on the rise. Its noticeable to me starting with recruits the last few years. They are picking schools that are in the middle to low top 25 teams in hopes of making an impact. As this moves forward I think it will directly affect parity.

4 of the last 5 years someone has snuck into the FF. I mean who was talking about California this time last year or even Louisville making it to the FF. But they did. Personally I think both those teams will be good again this year. Louisville basically brings back everyone and some injured players: IF we look over the past five years

Final Four Teams:

2009: UCONN, Louisville, Stanford, Oklahoma
2010: UCONN, Stanford, Baylor, Oklahoma
2011: TAMU, ND, Baylor, Stanford
2012: Baylor, ND, Stanford, UCONN (all #1 seeds)
2013: UCONN, Louisville, California, ND

My point is anything can happen!! Should be an exciting year!! And although I feel that UCONN will get #9 the bigger question is who will they be battling!!

GO UCONN!!!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

Interestingly, as an outsider, on paper none of those matchups seem especially scary this season for UConn, although, as Alex says, few have any idea how good ND (or LV or Louisville) will be and surely no idea of how teams would be bracketed.

Brain fart on my part. Happens sometimes. Still, the prospect of playing Louisville three times pre- NCAA tourney and then having to do so again wouldn't be too thrilling.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I would guess that the U of L matchup would be the least appealing. A Tennessee matchup would produce mega-hoopla, ND would have such a strong recent rivalry history, and Louisville would likely bear at least a passing resemblance, suspense-wise, of a Washington Generals game.

So, in terms of the poll question - "least anticipated" - U of L, in a landslide.

Reaction Score
I'm frankly surprised at the results, though I'm far from being a Voles fan. Didn't know the antipathy here ran so deep - don't you guys want to pummel something Orange?

A UConn-Louisville game would be a snorer. C'mon guys - they are a pretender to the throne. They've shot their wad. The secret is out. Next time everybody's gonna come at them with everything they've got right from the opening tip. Do you think Baylor would toy with them again?

Look for an early Louisville exit from the 2014 NCAAs.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm frankly surprised at the results, though I'm far from being a Voles fan. Didn't know the antipathy here ran so deep - don't you guys want to pummel something Orange?

That is what Syracuse is for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01