Politi: Jim Delany is bullish about turning New York into a Big Ten city | The Boneyard

Politi: Jim Delany is bullish about turning New York into a Big Ten city

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...out_turning_new_york_into_a_big_ten_city.html

That one has a long history here and won’t move any time soon. But the Big Ten basketball tip-off? The postseason hoops tournament? All of that could be coming to a hotel ballroom or an arena in the New York area, sooner than later, because Delany wants to conquer the media capital of the world.

Mr. Delany, if you really want New York City...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5tEbV0BmSQ[/quote] If there ever was video that epitomized what it means to be a Husky from a fan's POV, this is it

Reaction Score
Educated guess says he knows he needs more than Rutgers for NYC. They couldn't even sell out a home game against #1 Miami in 2002.

And we know how good they are in men's basketball. And just about every other sport. Michigan fans and alumni would prefer us over Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Having RU helps the Ten in NYC. But if you want NYC to be a Big Ten town, you have to compete in NYC in hoops as well as pigskin. At the moment, the Ten is not even competitive in NYC in hoops. Adding UConn makes them competitive with the ACC and the fake Big East from day one.

But if that were really important to Delaney, we would be in already.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
That play will give me chills for the rest of my life. Looked up a higher quality version on youtube and watched it 4x already. It's like a drug.

Yup. I love every single reminder that we had Kemba Walker and nobody else did. Man, that guy was so clutch.

Reaction Score
St. John's always had to go to great extremes to prevent MSG from being overrun by UConn fans. Only sell UConn tickets as a package with other home games, etc. Perhaps less so in recent years after St. John's fell apart and was no longer a big game.

Reaction Score
Don't know if this link has been posted.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/big-ten-expansion-not-dead-yet/

"UConn, of course, is in the American Athletic Conference and is largely regarded as the school that lost the most in this expansion process. The Huskies are considered the next viable target if there is any further movement in the Power 5 conferences."

Until then, keep showing up at games.

Reaction Score
St. John's always had to go to great extremes to prevent MSG from being overrun by UConn fans. Only sell UConn tickets as a package with other home games, etc. Perhaps less so in recent years after St. John's fell apart and was no longer a big game.

I hated when Providence started to do that, too, in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s. Used to go with a work colleague who went to PC and after hitting the bars in Providence Place or Federal Hill, he used to shake his head that over half of Dunk was filled with the blue & white of UConn fans.

Of course, Stubhub fix that problem along with MSG games against St. John’s and more recently Hall games at the Rock, which is in Rutgers’ back yard. All filled with a lot of UConn fans.

I wonder if Delany’s review noticed that?

Reaction Score
Having RU helps the Ten in NYC. But if you want NYC to be a Big Ten town, you have to compete in NYC in hoops as well as pigskin. At the moment, the Ten is not even competitive in NYC in hoops. Adding UConn makes them competitive with the ACC and the fake Big East from day one.

But if that were really important to Delaney, we would be in already.

Every time I read or hear about some conference's wish to "win" NYC, I recall Mike Tranghese's incredulous response to UCONN being left out of one of the CR rounds. To paraphrase; he noted, with emphasis, that NY BE BB ratings were all about UCONN. And, he was incredulous. I don't know what data he was using, but I've always assumed that, as a former BE Commissioner, he knew something.

I also recall St. John's changing it's BB ticket plan because it's MS G games, with UCONN, had become, overwhelmingly, UCONN home games. Has any of you heard of any visiting team having that type of impact anywhere, not to mention NYC?

Then I throw another sneaker at the TV and hook up the intravenous Vodka.[/quote]

Reaction Score
Every time I read or hear about some conference's wish to "win" NYC, I recall Mike Tranghese's incredulous response to UCONN being left out of one of the CR rounds. To paraphrase; he noted, with emphasis, that NY BE BB ratings were all about UCONN. And, he was incredulous. I don't know what data he was using, but I've always assumed that, as a former BE Commissioner, he knew something.

I also recall St. John's changing it's BB ticket plan because it's MS G games, with UCONN, had become, overwhelmingly, UCONN home games. Has any of you heard of any visiting team having that type of impact anywhere, not to mention NYC?

Then I throw another sneaker at the TV and hook up the intravenous Vodka.
[/quote]There used to be a bus tour group that would buy tickets in bulk for St. Johns & Villanova home games against UConn. They would sell packages to various corporate entities & have pickup points at various sites. During the Donyell Marshall & Rip Hamilton years, I went to numerous day trips to MSG & overnights to Philly through my wife's ability to access said packages through her then employer, Bristol Hospital. We would catch the bus at the hospital, pick up more fans at the municipal lot off of Exit 17 of I-84 in Waterbury, then be off to the day's destination. (The Philly tours included overnight hotel accomodations). Those were good times until first St. John's, & later Villanova put an end to Ticketmaster selling tickets in bulk to entities with a 203 or 860 Area Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom