Point blank, how many NCs does Geno have upon retirement? | The Boneyard

Point blank, how many NCs does Geno have upon retirement?

By the time Geno retires, with how many NCs will he be credited?

• Nine

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Ten

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Eleven

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Twelve

Votes: 37 39.4%
  • Thirteen

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Fourteen

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Fifteen or more

Votes: 11 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This is a simple poll. Just like Babe Ruth (in theory), call your shot and swing for the fences.

Comments are appreciated!

Reaction Score
Geno is 60. He loves coaching, but he also loves a lot of other stuff too. I don't see him sticking around much beyond age 65, or shortly after KLS's class graduates. Maybe 5-6 more years.

Winning championships is hard. Going into a season, no single team is more than a 50% chance to win it. I think we win it in 2015-16 and another time during KLS's career, giving Geno 11 in total. Having surpassed Wooden (a comparison he doesn't like to make), Geno rides off into the sunset and opens a few more restaurants.

Reaction Score
Would like to see the 15 figure but I think the 12 is a more realistic number.Sure seems like he will have the players to do it.Great coach,Great teams....Go UCONN.....We are so blessed to live to view this coach and his teams!!!

HGN

Reaction Score
The answer depends upon how long he wants to coach.......I think if he coaches another 5 years he will win another 2 NC's......If he coaches 10 more years I think he can win another 4 more NC's.

Winning NC's is getting harder and harder to do. There are more good players to go around and UConn has a BIG target on its back each and every game. Beating UConn makes many a team's season. And there are at least 5 teams , with the talent and coaching , that has a chance at a NC each year.

Thus , I give Geno another 5-10 years of coaching and another 4 NC's.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I don't want to mess up no mojo, BUT, I really think that UConn will probably be the favorite to win the NC every year until Geno retires. That does not mean that they will win every year, but I expect at least half of the time (and that is a conservative guess.) I also don't think he will retires soon. True, he is 60, but he is a very active and vigorous 60. He loves coaching. Until or unless he comes to the point where he feels that he can't do it properly anymore, I don't think that there is anything that will seem more appealing to him than continuing to coach. Therefore I checked 15+. I feel extremely confident about the next two, and four more after that does not seem an unreasonable expectation.

U

UCONNfan1

The answer depends upon how long he wants to coach..I think if he coaches another 5 years he will win another 2 NC's.If he coaches 10 more years I think he can win another 4 more NC's.

Winning NC's is getting harder and harder to do. There are more good players to go around and UConn has a BIG target on its back each and every game. Beating UConn makes many a team's season. And there are at least 5 teams , with the talent and coaching , that has a chance at a NC each year.

Thus , I give Geno another 5-10 years of coaching and another 4 NC's.
That makes sense. BUT... heavily in Uconn's favor is the fact that more and more teams seem to be landing the #1 or #2 recruit in the nation while UCONN seems to continue stockpiling #1 or 2 recruits. Since these top kids are almost always needed to secure a NC, the fact that they are so spread out makes it that much harder for teams to keep up with Uconn. Oh, and IF Uconn manages to land Durr, i'd say you can pencil in 4 out of the next 5 NC's, never mind 4 out of 10... :D

Reactions: HGN

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good question, though I don't want to mess with the mojo.

Winning a NC is really hard, though Geno makes it look easy, and requires some luck. I think we get at least 1 in the next 2 years. And then Lou gets at least 1 after Stewie leaves. If we get Durr, we could break the record of 3 in a row. Even without her, we have a shot at 4 in a row, meaning 2 more.

We don't know enough about the players past 2019, so it's hard to say. I think we can win 3 of the next 5, so I chose a total of 12. I think 14-16 is not out of the question. Geno could win 7 more in the next 10 years. He's won 8 of the last 15, and injuries may have cost him 2 more.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I guess I should weigh in here given that I started the thread. :)

I agree with Milford in that it's worth noting who we already know is going to be on the team. Stewie and MoJeff have two more years, and Morgan may have three. The 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes have shaped up/are shaping up nicely. Meanwhile, UConn's ability to recruit should continue to be stout as long as prospects figure they'll have Geno for the duration of their time in Storrs.

UConn will be favored to win the NC in 2014- 15, and probably even 2015-16. That gets Geno to 11 and Stewie to complete and utter immortality. Beyond that, If Geno truly does continue to coach until he's 70, I wouldn't be surprised to see him win at least three out of eight seasons beyond 2016. That gets my estimate to 14.

Geno is the Wizard of Storrs, he is obsessed with the game being played the right way, and the program will certainly keep selling itself as long as he can keep coaching. We can't predict the future, but let's knock on wood and hope for Geno's good health and great energy!

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
Good question, though I don't want to mess with the mojo.

Winning a NC is really hard, though Geno makes it look easy, and requires some luck. I think we get at least 1 in the next 2 years. And then Lou gets at least 1 after Stewie leaves. If we get Durr, we could break the record of 3 in a row. Even without her, we have a shot at 4 in a row, meaning 2 more.

We don't know enough about the players past 2019, so it's hard to say. I think we can win 3 of the next 5, so I chose a total of 12. I think 14-16 is not out of the question. Geno could win 7 more in the next 10 years. He's won 8 of the last 15, and injuries may have cost him 2 more.
Milford, I tend to agree somewhat with your assessment......Winning a NC is hard to do. You need good coaching , some luck , and talent. And as you pointed out getting Durr would put UConn in a class league all by itself. Adding Durr to what UConn already has in that 2015 Class ( Collier , Boykin , KLS , and Butler) would propel UConn into almost guaranteed FF's and at least 3 NC's....In a row.
Dy-Nasty.

Reaction Score
I figure Geno coaches for another 5 to 8 years. I see us winning the next two plus one or two in the three years after that. After that who knows if Geno is still coaching and what talent he'll have. To be conservative I figured three more NCs. For a total of 12.

Alex if I knew for sure he was gonna coach ten more years I might have gone with 14 also.

Reaction Score
I figure Geno coaches for another 5 to 8 years. I see us winning the next two plus one or two in the three years after that. After that who knows if Geno is still coaching and what talent he'll have. To be conservative I figured three more NCs. For a total of 12.

more or less exactly how I came up with 12.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
All these astute posters agreeing with me! I knew if I put out enough random thoughts--as 10,400 posts would attest--that I'd hit a bullseye at least once. :) Thanks, guys!

Reaction Score
All these astute posters agreeing with me! I knew if I put out enough random thoughts--as 10,400 posts would attest--that I'd hit a bullseye at least once. :) Thanks, guys!

I'm only around 150 posts in 8 months and yet I predict a baker's dozen of championships. That would be 5 in a row ending in 2017. That takes into consideration the fact that UConn will have had at least 3 of the top 5 players in all of WCBB on the team in each of these years, and now with a bench with at least 5 more players in the top 50. In all of these years no freshmen have to carry the load and the upper classes lead the way while giving the Husky puppies lots of playing time. Geno will probably quit after his current contract ends with nothing more to win; the greatest coach in NCAA basketball history!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom