CLASS RANKINGS
247: #5
ESPN: #5
Rivals: #6
Scout: #6

===========================================================
2016 Targets
UConn Commits
Mamadou Diarra (PLAYER THREAD | PROFILE)
Alterique Gilbert (PLAYER THREAD | PROFILE)
Juwan Durham (PLAYER THREAD | PROFILE)
Vance Jackson (PLAYER THREAD | PROFILE)​

Official Visitors
4/17/15: Alterique Gilbert
5/29/15: V.J. King
6/14/15: Brendan Bailey
8/28/15: Juwan Durham
9/25/15: Vance Jackson
UConn Interest
Chuba Ohams (PLAYER THREAD)
Alpha Diallo (PLAYER THREAD)​

No Interest
Kobi Simmons (PLAYER THREAD)
Udoka Azubuike (PLAYER THREAD)​

Off the Board
Mustapha Heron (Auburn)
Jayson Tatum (Duke)
Harry Giles (Duke)
D'Marcus Simonds (Georgia State)
De'Ron Davis (Indiana)
Tyler Cook (Iowa)
Sacha Killeya-Jones (Kentucky)
Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky)
Brendan Bailey (Marquette)
Rodney Miller (Miami)
Bruce Brown (Miami)
Miles Bridges (Michigan State)
Eli Wright (Mississippi State)
Schnider Herard (Mississippi State)
Mario Kegler (Mississippi State)
Temple Gibbs (Notre Dame)
Kameron McGusty (Oklahoma)
Gorjak Gak (Oklahoma State)
Myles Powell (Seton Hall)
Tyus Battle (Syracuse)
Tony Bradley (UNC)
Jaylen Fisher (UNLV)
Troy Baxter (USF)
DeAndre Hunter (Virginia)
Markelle Fultz (Washington)
Tyrique Jones (Xavier)
===========================================================
ARUziQi.png

Reaction Score
Alterique Gilbert
VERBAL
PG, 6'0", 160
i
Committed to UConn: July 4th, 2015

Rankings
ESPN: 28 (Previous: 23; 43)
Rivals: 37 (Previous: 39; 77)
Scout: 38 (Previous: 40; 42; 47)
247 Composite: 41

2015 EYBL Stats:
http://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/7754560?subseason=
22 Games - 15.6 PPG, 42.9 FG%, 74.1 FT%, 35.9 3P%, 3.8 RPG, 4.6 APG, 1.9 TPG, 1.5 SPG

Videos (click "Playlist" to select videos)

2015 Summer Scouting Reports
Link

News
Nike Global Challenge Scouting Reports: Point Guards
Nike EYBL Peach Jam: Alterique Gilbert steals the show in Harry Giles-Malik Monk face off
Scout's take: ESPN 100 PG Alterique Gilbert picks UConn

Prior to Commitment
Alterique Gilbert eyes September decision
NBPA Top 100: Alterique Gilbert
ESPN basketball recruiting director talks new ESPN100 and why Harry Giles is No. 1

BrandonClayScouting.com: Prospect Eval – Alterique Gilbert – November 27, 2014
GILBERT MAKING HIS PRESENCE FELT
GILBERT NARROWS LIST OF SCHOOLS TO FIVE

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Terry Larrier
Transfer (VCU)

G/F, 6'8", 185
i
5/28/2015 - UConn landed another prize recruit — on the rebound. Terry Larrier, a scoring wing from the Bronx, N.Y., will be transfer from Virginia Commonwealth and be eligible to play for the Huskies in 2016.

Rankings
247: 23 (5*)
ESPN: 43 (4*)
Rivals: 43 (4*)
Scout: 42 (4*)

Freshman Year Stats
MIN | FGM-A | FG%| 3PM-A| 3P% | FTM-A| FT% |REB|AST|BLK|STL|PF|TO|PTS
18.5 | 2.0-5.9 | .343 | 0.9-3.4| .262 | 1.7-2.4 | .709 | 3.0 | 0.6 | 0.1 | 0.5 | 1.4 | 1.1 | 6.6

Freshman Year Stats (KenPom)
ErA5AKg.png

News
Larrier, Gibbs Already Becoming Pals On The Court At UConn
"Shaka Smart started recruiting me a lot sooner than [Kevin Ollie] at UConn," Larrier said. "When K.O. got into the picture, it was just a matter of my relationships with the two head coaches and I really felt much closer to Shaka. This time around, it came down to UConn and Maryland and my relationship was much closer with K.O. than with Mark Turgeon. I like what [Ollie has] done with the program, the style of play fits me better and I feel I can excel here."

Terry Larrier Expects More Competition at UConn Than VCU
LARRIER TO TRANSFER TO UCONN
High School Class of 2014 Scouting Reports, Part Three- the Wings (9/5/2013)

Videos

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Vance Jackson
VERBAL
SF, 6'8", 215

h7dHzle.jpg

2015-2016 HIGH SCHOOL SCHEDULE

Rankings
ESPN: 51
Rivals: 74 [Previous: 47]
Scout: 64
247 Composite: 46

Offered

3/8/2013

Committed to UConn
10/16/2015

Videos (click "Playlist" to select videos)

Timeline

Last edited:
Reaction Score
VANCE JACKSON COMMITMENT ARTICLES

UConn committ Vance Jackson wanted 'pure basketball school'
On Jan. 19, 2014, Jackson — along with Daniel Hamilton and his other St. John Bosco High teammates — played a game at the HoopHall Classic in Springfield, Massachusetts, then made the 40-minute drive to Storrs to take in the second half of UConn’s bout with Louisville.

It wasn’t the greatest introduction to UConn hoops, at least on the court, as Louisville continued its mastery of the Huskies with a 75-64 win. Kevin Ollie was ejected after vehemently arguing a ref’s call. Still, Jackson was swept away by the whole scene.

“I remember it like it was yesterday,” the soft-spoken Californian said by phone on Saturday. “The vibe, the crowd, the atmosphere. I always wanted to go to a pure basketball school.”

UConn Adds Another Recruit To Strong 2016 Class In 6-8 Vance Jackson
Huskies coaches had been after Jackson for two-plus years, back when he was Hamilton's teammate at Dom Bosco in Bellflower, Calif. He's known as an outstanding perimeter shooter for his size.

"UConn is the right fit for me because the system they run benefits me to show all aspects of my game," Jackson told Scout.com. "UConn is in need of scorers and that's what I do well. I wanted to go to a pure basketball school and it felt like home visiting the school. The coaching staff is like having my dad by my side."
Scout's Take: ESPN 100 SF Vance Jackson headed to UConn
What he brings: Jackson is a stretch 4-man with improving ball skills. His forte is shooting the deep jump shot, though his shot is more of a set shot than a true jump shot. He has a feather touch that extends out to 25-feet and his release is impeccable. His triple threat game has really come of age in the past year as he does a nice job of creating offense not only for himself, but also his teammates. His shooting prowess forces defenders to crowd him which opens up his driving game. While attacking he shows good vision and his passing ability is underrated. Overall, he is one of the more gifted shooters in the class who can put up a bunch of points in a hurry.

How he fits: Ollie's school of thought gives freedom to his players to create plays and Jackson should fit well into that particular system. Jackson is a natural offensive player due to his skill and savvy. His shooting should elevate UConn's 3-point shooting percentage (35.5 % in 2014/15) and he has the basketball IQ to make others around him better. He'll need to pick up his intensity at both ends of floor, but he is quite the offensive weapon. With the likelihood of sophomore Daniel Hamilton heading to the NBA, Jackson should have a chance to make an immediate impact.

Who he reminds us of: Jackson has a bit more wiggle to his game, but he compares favorably to incoming USC freshman Bennie Boatwright, due to their deep shooting ability.

To Latest Recruit Jackson, UConn 'Felt Like Home'

The Huskies are still pursuing others for 2016, including guard Hamidou Diallo of Putnam Science Academy, who was at First Night. And with Virginia Commonwealth transfer Terry Larrier, not considered in the class rankings, becoming eligible next season, UConn undoubtedly will have as much talent coming in as any program in the country next season, assuming all eventually sign their National Letters of Intent, or a financial aid agreement.

It would be a young, completely new Huskies team, with seniors Omar Calhoun and Phil Nolan and fifth-year transfers Shonn Miller and Sterling Gibbs all departing after this season, and with the possibility of Hamilton and Amida Brimah turning pro.

"I just want to win," Jackson said, "I want to be part of a great team. I'm always going to have that chip on my shoulder. I still need prove myself every day. When I get to UConn, I know people are going to be watching me."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ALTERIQUE GILBERT SCOUTING REPORTS FROM USA MINICAMP

Brandon Clay @BrandonClayPSB
USAB Day One #McDonaldsWatch Standouts: Markelle Fultz Alterique Gilbert Josh Jackson Josh Langford Jayson Tatum
10:22 PM - 3 Oct 2015

Shun Williams @OntheRadarHoops
USA Basketball Standouts: Wendell Carter Troy Brown Markelle Fultz Josh Jackson Josh Langford Alterique Gilbert
11:04 PM - 3 Oct 2015

Rob Jones @RobJones__
Alterique Gilbert was a beast tonight on defense. I won't name names, but some other PG's were struggling just to dribble past half court.
11:51 PM - 3 Oct 2015

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress
Only player to arrive early both mornings at USA Basketball Junior National Team Mini-Camp to get shots up? UConn commit Alterique Gilbert.
11:07 AM - 4 Oct 2015

From Rivals:
Connecticut fans won't need long to warm up to point guard Alterique Gilbert next year. The four-star point guard was solid in every aspect of the game on Saturday and made great decisions with the ball.

Clint Jackson ‏@clintjackson1 3h3 hours ago
Best defenders here at USA minicamp are De'Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt, Josh Jackson, Josh Langford, Jarrett Allen, Tyus Battle, Alterique

Eric Bossi
@ebosshoops

Breaking down the top point & combo guards like @swipathefox5 from #usabasketball. Wings and bigs coming soon
7:31 PM - 6 Oct 2015
1. De'Aaron Fox (2016 - #5 - 5*)
2. Alterique Gilbert (2016 - #36 - 4*)
Trevon Duval (2017 - #2 - 5*)
4. Frank Jackson (2016 - #10 - 5*)
5. Daejon Davis (2017 - #43 - 4*)
6. Darius Garland (2018 - NR - 4*)
7. Javonte Smart (2018 - #3 - 5*)
8. Tre Jones (2018 - NR - 4*)
9. Jalek Felton (2017 - #22 - 5*)
10. Jaylen Hands (2017 - #23 - 5*)​

USA Basketball Junior NT Mini-Camp Scouting Reports: Point Guards
October 7, 2015
Alterique Gilbert, 5-11, PG, Norcross, GA, Class of 2016

Strengths
-Strong build (181 pounds) despite not possessing great size
-Very good athlete who can play above the rim at times despite his size
-Polished ball handler. Able to find a nice blend between scoring and playmaking.
-Good vision and creativity out of pick and roll. Able to hit the weak side shooter, hesitate and find the roll man in stride, or get into the teeth of the defense and drop it off to a big at the rim. Delivers passes from different angles.
-Streaky but is a shot maker with considerable range (2.2 made 3s per-40). Best pulling up off the bounce. Loves the quick jumper in transition. Gets great elevation.
-Uses his quickness, handle, and ability to play at different speeds to get in the lane. Nice touch on his floater. Doesn't shy away from contact in the lane. Gets to the free throw line at a tremendous rate (career 7.5 per-40 in 44 DX database games)
-Can be a very pesky defender when he wants to be thanks to his strength and quickness. Plays with toughness. 2.3 steals per-40.

Weaknesses
-Really lacks great size or length at 5'10 1/2” in shoes, with a 6' 0.5” wingspan
-Very capable playmaker but doesn't always want to make the simple play.
-Size limits his vision at times. Has a tendency to kill his dribble too quickly versus pressure. Picks it up and waits a split second for something to develop.
-Good not great shooter. Holds onto the ball for too long at times. Career 33% 3-point shooter
-Made a conscious effort to get others involved but isn't afraid to start getting jumpers up if he sees one go down.
-Explosiveness and build help him around the rim but he still struggles versus length given his size. 46.5% career 2-point shooter already in high school

Outlook
The UConn commit didn't quite fill it up like he did the last time we saw him at Nike Global Challenge (27.5 points per 40 pace), but he proved his merit as a distributor while still putting enough pressure on the defense as a scorer. Although undersized, Gilbert is a tough competitor who provides a nice balance between scoring and playmaking while harassing opposing point guards on the defensive end. Gilbert's upside is a bit limited at 5' 11” but he'll most certainly turn in a productive career as a Husky, especially playing next to 2015 guard Jalen Adams. He was lauded by USA Basketball staff members for his work ethic and insistence on getting in early every morning to get extra work in.​

#OTRHoopsReport: USA Basketball Mini Camp Recap – Oct. 7, 2015

Alterique Gilbert came into camp with a point to prove and he did just that. The UCONN bound guard does a good job of handling the break as he pushes the ball coast to coast with a speed dribble or will look up to advance the ball with the pass. This scoring point guard can take it all the way to the rim and score or make the pass from his penetration to an open teammate.​

Alterique Gilbert USA Basketball Junior Nat'l Team Mini-Camp Interview

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Vance Jackson says yes to UConn
Jackson has been a pretty talked about name for some time now due to his physical stature and penchant for shooting the deep ball. While in the past, he oftentimes relied too much on his jumper to impact any given contest, the senior forward has continued to implement more of a skill package out of either forward spot and improved upon his foot speed, consistency on his go-to mid-range jumper, and in his scoring around the basketball following the attack off the catch.

Running with the Dream Vision crew on the Adidas circuit this past summer alongside top-100 wing Brendan Bailey and Nevada commit Kenneth Wooten, the 6-foot-8 scorer was relied upon heavily during crunch time situations. Averaging close to 19 points and five rebounds per contest, along with displaying quality efficiency numbers with his jumper where he converted on nearly 36-percent of his long distance attempts and 81-percent of his foul shots, there definitely is a lot of versatility out of the west coast recruit. However, decision-making and ball handling still does need further progressions as he turned it over nearly four times per game, yet it would be expected that Jackson will be relied upon in situations that rely upon limited dribbling and on catch and shoot attempts from deep during his first year on campus next season.

Reaction Score
Segment 2: Under the radar high school seniors
Yesterday we unloaded five unranked freshmen that will all make some majors moves during their inaugural college basketball season and surpass the expectations placed onto them this winter. However, with signing day looming, why not escape out of most top-100 rankings within the 2016 crop and investigate five names that might prove many of the naysayers wrong with their production at the next level?
----------------------
MAMADOU DIARRA – 6-FOOT-8 – CENTER – PUTNAM SCIENCE ACADEMY

COMMITTED TO UCONN

The class UConn has coming to Storrs next fall is pretty impressive. A top-10 nationally ranked one at that, Diarra is actually the worst rated prospect in tow but he might become the most productive over the course of his college career. Sure, Alterique Gilbert, Vance Jackson, and Juwan Durham are all top-75 recruits and prospects that have a chance of playing beyond the college level. However, over the past two years, there haven’t been many more productive big men on the east coast than Mamadou Diarra.

While he is a bit undersized standing near 6-foot-8, Diarra has a prolonged wingspan and an elite motor. He never stops playing hard and runs the floor from rim to rim. While his offensive skill package needs further tweaking in adding consistency onto his mid-range jumper, Diarra buys into being a top of the line garbage man who secures double figure rebounds with ease and should fit into the culture that Kevin Ollie has kept intact. After leading the nation in blocks for several years, Diarra should give the Huskies a boost in this particular category and while many have slighted him because of his size and spot on the floor, it is hard to deny the New York native’s production on the hardwood, thus making him a sleeper and under the radar commit who will sign his LOI next month.

http://www.hoopseen.com/index.php/n...segment-2-under-the-radar-high-school-seniors

http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads...committed-to-uconn.75411/page-27#post-1456433

Reaction Score
Earlier this week I had a conversation with a very well respected scout. I asked him what player was he most impressed with at USA Basketball tryouts? His answer was UCONN commit Alterique Gilbert from Miller Grove HS(GA). He went on to say that Gilbert was the first kid in the gym every morning and the last to leave everyday. This type of work ethic explains why the senior had one of the best summers and continues to impress scouts with his growth at the point guard position.

Gilbert has been in the lab working out with trainer Robert Swain of Swain Basketball Academy. Swain says they have been focusing on his midrange, penetration and conditioning. “We get 5,000 shots up a day”, said Swain.

http://courtcred.com/player-news/down-south/uconn-commit-showing-off-bounce-in-workout/

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/pg-...committed-to-uconn.73900/page-45#post-1462581

Reaction Score
http://hoopseen.com/index.php/news/headlines/item/3838-national-signing-day-american

The American Athletic Conference is still trying to find it’s way and identity as a basketball conference. One program isn’t waiting for everyone to catch-up to the status of a high-major program.

In fact, Connecticut has reeled in a class that is a good as any group the program has seen over the last 15 years.

The Huskies are reeling in talent from coast-to-coast, just like the days of Jim Calhoun. Kevin Ollie and staff have stayed the course for UConn recruiting standards. After a so-so season last year, this class should have Huskie fans excited.

The Huskies have four solid commitments and addressed several needs. Alterique Gilbert and Juwan Durham are among the top players at their respective position nationally. Vance Jackson is the No. 51 overall player in the composite rankings and big man Mahadou Diarra, a top 120 player, is a perfect four-year piece to a championship level team.

This UConn class is the best class (and probably better than) the 2006 group that was considered the No. 4 overall class. That group had Hasheem Thabeet, Stanley Robinson, Curtis Kelly, Jerome Dyson and others.

The class of 2010 (Jeremy Lamb, Shabazz Napier and Roscoe Smith were the headliners) played a big role in the team’s National Championship run.

Just how good is this 2015 class? Potentially better than all of them from a top-to-bottom talent grade. National Championship good? Who knows. No one would have guessed the 2010 class would have won a title as this stage of their careers.

If you are a UConn fan, there’s justifiable excitement for next season and year’s beyond. This class could write a new chapter in an already storied history in Storrs.

http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/class-rankings-updated-10-16.81310/#post-1469983

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul