PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American) | Page 41 | The Boneyard

PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Idk what you've been watching but he is a great finisher, as was Boat, very creative around the rim
Boat wasn't really a great finisher, especially through contact. I haven't seen enough of Gilbert to say he is one way or another, but he looks more comfortable drawing/absorbing the contact and then finishing in traffic.

Reaction Score
Adam Finkelstein ‏@AdamFinkelstein 32m32 minutes ago
Alterique Gilbert having a great week here at Peach Jam. Thinks he & Jalen Adams can be next great UConn backcourt http://es.pn/1fxjjx5

that piece is riddled with errors/typos, but its good to hear gilbert is excited to be part of a two pg backcourt. Apparently that was key in his commitment, and ollie didn't even have to belabor the point.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
usa today giving AG a shout out, the kids blowing up, glad we got in early...

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/nike-ey...s-the-show-in-harry-giles-malik-monk-face-off

"It was supposed to be the first primo, mano-a-mano Peach Jam face-off, pitting two consensus top-5 overall prospects who both feel they are the single best player in the country. Harry Giles III, the towering center-cum-fast break artist against pure scorer extraordinaire Malik Monk."

What the hell does that mean?

Reaction Score
High level quickness. Range. Plays aggressive D. Scrooge handle. Great vertical off of 1 or 2 feet. Excellent court vision.
This young man will one day wear a ring.
Mark it down.
Taste has spoken.

Reaction Score
Harry Giles III, the towering center-cum-fast break artist . . . . "
What the hell does that mean?
Proximally, it means that he is both a towering center and a fast break artist.
Distally, it means that bastardized latin idioms are fast falling out of common usage.

Reaction Score
CP3 plays Each1 Teach1 at 7 in the quarter finals. E1T1 has 5 star Isaac, 4 star Rowan, Bradley Jr Knox. Loaded team from Fla. Should be a great game. Just a note Chris Paul has been on the bench for CP3. AG getting some good instructions.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
feed keeps interrupting itself for me. Just a few seconds at a time, but annoying as hell.

Alterique has not played well since I tuned in. Driving into the tress and getting blocked, missing a FT, etc.

Reaction Score
With all the praise I gave him and his finishing , Gilbert has not played well at all in this half vs e1t1. Forcing do much nonsense at the rim instead of drive and kick . Giles is nowhere to be seen some 2017 kid is taking his lunch money , Isaac . And Rogers kid has like 10 turnovers. I forget how much aau resembles an open gym run lol pure chaos rarely any "good shots".

Reaction Score
James said:
With all the praise I gave him and his finishing , Gilbert has not played well at all in this half vs e1t1. Forcing do much nonsense at the rim instead of drive and kick . Giles is nowhere to be seen some 2017 kid is taking his lunch money , Isaac . And Rogers kid has like 10 turnovers. I forget how much aau resembles an open gym run lol pure chaos rarely any "good shots".

The later you get in these things, the worse it gets. Six games in three days - even if you end up dogging it a lot due to the AAU style - eventually leaves everyone playing raggedy basketball. You just want to see strong potential somewhere along the way.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Who is #2 on CP#3? Body shape-wise, he looks like a girl. A very short girl.

Reaction Score
The later you get in these things, the worse it gets. Six games in three days - even if you end up dogging it a lot due to the AAU style - eventually leaves everyone playing raggedy basketball. You just want to see strong potential somewhere along the way.
very true for the real amateurs, the youngsters who aren't use to this level of competition.

team cp3 came back in the second half, gilbert didn't have a good shooting game but i'm guessing he really turned it up on defense. didn't watch the 2nd.

Reaction Score
Gilbert knocked down a pretty big three to get CP3's rally going in the second. Overall he didn't play well. Darnell Rogers jacks a ridiculous number of shots for someone at his size.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
very true for the real amateurs, the youngsters who aren't use to this level of competition.

team cp3 came back in the second half, gilbert didn't have a good shooting game but i'm guessing he really turned it up on defense. didn't watch the 2nd.

I caught the 2nd, I really thought the defense by the 5'2 Darnell Rogers was the factor. From what I read up on the kid this is consistent. Gilbert hit the big shot to tie I believe and played solid defense down the stretch to. Giles did not impress me from what I watched. Wasn't able to find the ball that much against the zone and wasn't that much of a factor on defense as he should've been. This was my first time watching Gilbert live and I was impressed even on this "off" night. I think his shot is there and as always once you come to Uconn it improves so he should be pretty lethal for us.

Reaction Score
I caught the 2nd, I really thought the defense by the 5'2 Darnell Rogers was the factor. From what I read up on the kid this is consistent. Gilbert hit the big shot to tie I believe and played solid defense down the stretch to. Giles did not impress me from what I watched. Wasn't able to find the ball that much against the zone and wasn't that much of a factor on defense as he should've been. This was my first time watching Gilbert live and I was impressed even on this "off" night. I think his shot is there and as always once you come to Uconn it improves so he should be pretty lethal for us.
I feel the same about giles, i really question his overall #1 ranking as a prospect. he isn't super out of this world athletic anymore post knee surgery, so he really a finesse guy who likes to float around and shoot/slash. I like somebody like Tatum or jackson over him. think their games will translate much better at the pro level

What I like about gilbert is his pace, although in college for KO he needs to advance the ball at a higher rate... he is still superbly under control shown by his low turnover numbers. His first step is A1, an explosive pick n roll player... this was evident when monk had the task to guard him earlier in the day when they played elite wings ( monk is a 6'5 athletic beast).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I feel the same about giles, i really question his overall #1 ranking as a prospect. he isn't super out of this world athletic anymore post knee surgery, so he really a finesse guy who likes to float around and shoot/slash. I like somebody like Tatum or jackson over him. think their games will translate much better at the pro level
Giles was operating all around the rim in the FIBA U19 tourney, from the games I watched the last 2 weeks he was better than Tatum. You gotta also consider these dudes might be tired, to come off of the U19 tourney in Greece, fly back to the US and play multiple games a day less than a week after that is a ridiculous schedule. Also Jonathan Isaac is a top 10 prospect in 16 so its not like he was going up against chopped liver and Giles still got the better of him in the 2nd half IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom