Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I can't stand this mixtapes - the overproduction is annoying.

Hard to say what he was playing against versus the pink daisy team, but physically, he moves well and has a lot of room to grow into that frame of his. I can see him at a solid 245 in a couple of years.

Reaction Score
Somebody's cranky today.

And for the record, while we're all basing these comps off like 90 seconds of video, the comparison to Cliffy is much more apt than the comparison to Elton Brand. Brand was a behemoth who bullied his way to hoops. Enoch doesn't seem like a back-to-the-basket guy. Cliffy didn't really start hitting 3's until he was in the NBA but he had more of a jump shot than Brand did.

Enoch kind of reminds me of a poor man's Jabari. He's a little taller and not as skilled, but he can shoot from the outside, block shots and rebound, and presumably post up a little as well. Again, that's from watching 2 or 3 videos of this kid. It's my opinion.

In any event, I don't know why you're so ticked off at Bruce for expressing his opinion. You made it personal for some reason.

I'm not easy to love.

Reaction Score
There was a major upgrade on this tape compared to the last tape I saw and my guess is that with more weight and development in our program he will be a stud.

Reaction Score
I think people are going to be surprised how GOOD BRIMAH is going to be Junior year. I see him being just as good, if not better than Thabeet. He shows natural ability and touch for a big man, he will be a MONSTER on defense

If you pulled the hat trick, who's going to play

Just big men
PF: Enoch, Lubin, Facey
C: Brimah, Stone, Nolan

Plus Adams (PG), Samuel (PG), Cassell Jr (PG), Newman (SG), Purvis (SG), Hamilton (SG/SF)

I don't see how this works, considering there is only one ball.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I can't stand this mixtapes - the overproduction is annoying.

Hard to say what he was playing against versus the pink daisy team, but physically, he moves well and has a lot of room to grow into that frame of his. I can see him at a solid 245 in a couple of years.

Great. So when he becomes a "solid 245" who are we going to compare him to then?

All these variables with high school kids growing and filling out makes it very difficult for us posters to peg them to previous players for comparisons. With some of these kids it's as if we have to watch and enjoy their progression without labelling them. Ugh.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Somebody's cranky today.

And for the record, while we're all basing these comps off like 90 seconds of video, the comparison to Cliffy is much more apt than the comparison to Elton Brand. Brand was a behemoth who bullied his way to hoops. Enoch doesn't seem like a back-to-the-basket guy. Cliffy didn't really start hitting 3's until he was in the NBA but he had more of a jump shot than Brand did.

Enoch kind of reminds me of a poor man's Jabari. He's a little taller and not as skilled, but he can shoot from the outside, block shots and rebound, and presumably post up a little as well. Again, that's from watching 2 or 3 videos of this kid. It's my opinion.

In any event, I don't know why you're so ticked off at Bruce for expressing his opinion. You made it personal for some reason.

I tried to help out a BY'er who was way off base and give him a more accurate frame of reference. For some reason he doesn't want the help.

Oh well. Horse meet water. After that the horse is on its own.

Can't wait for the summer to end so the conversations on this board stay more focused. Some of these summer threads take a life of their own and get tough to read and follow.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I tried to help out a BY'er who was way off base and give him a more accurate frame of reference. For some reason he doesn't want the help.

Oh well. Horse meet water. After that the horse is on its own.

Can't wait for the summer to end so the conversations on this board stay more focused. Some of these summer threads take a life of their own and get tough to read and follow.

Try chapwilvaug72's posts. They are an absolute pleasure to read.

Reaction Score
I think people are going to be surprised how GOOD BRIMAH is going to be Junior year. I see him being just as good, if not better than Thabeet. He shows natural ability and touch for a big man, he will be a MONSTER on defense

If you pulled the hat trick, who's going to play

Just big men
PF: Enoch, Lubin, Facey
C: Brimah, Stone, Nolan

Plus Adams (PG), Samuel (PG), Cassell Jr (PG), Newman (SG), Purvis (SG), Hamilton (SG/SF)

I don't see how this works, considering there is only one ball.

You left out Omar Calhoun (for which you are entirely forgiven).

This is something top programs deal with every year, and I think it's about time we start thinking of ourselves in that class when it comes to recruiting. I don't think Ollie is going to step back and say "wait a minute, these guys are too good, I need to recruit more benchwarmers so that nobody feels deprived of minutes".

To answer your question, it would be pretty much how you've drawn it up: Brimah starts at the 5, with Stone getting the majority of backup minutes; Nolan plays the Olander, in case of emergency, role, but much better, and also gets a few minutes at the 4. Enoch starts at the 4; neither Lubin nor Facey possess the outside game or overall skill to fill the stretch-4 role that Ollie (and I) want. Daniel Hamilton plays 30 minutes a game at the 3; Purvis starts at the 2; Adams/Newman at the 1. Sometimes we go small, with Hamilton out, which gets Samuel, Cassell, and if the stars align, OC, some time.

But, realistically, only 8-9 guys will see major minutes. And that's OK.

Reaction Score
I don't know why you'd pencil in a completely unproven kid over a guy who's going to be a senior when the unproven freshman gets to campus. I know we love to get hyped up about videos but - as history demonstrates time and time again - there aren't too many recruits who look crappy in their highlight videos. Watching a kid who's just physically more imposing than anyone else on the court shoot the occasional set shot from three doesn't make him a "stretch four" to me, or mean he's going to step in and beat out a guy who's been in the program for 4 years. (I'm talking about Enoch starting and Phil being relegated to spot duty. I don't see that at all.)

I'm also not sure why you seem to write off Facey. But whatever, it's the summer.

Reaction Score
Facey was pretty much Enoch 2 years ago, but now because he spent a year behind the #37th pick in a loaded draft, and another guy who started on the German national team and turned into one of the best spot up shooters in CBB, he won't ever be able to play meaninful minutes here. Just clownish...

Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if Stone weren't better than both Brimah and Nolan the day he stopped on campus.
Really ? brimah? the guy who's a top 15 player in his class? If stone were to commit he wouldn't be starting over brimah, hell brimah might be gone after next year so who knows.

Reaction Score
Brimah has a long way to go. He's a back up energy player.
lol. he led the country in block% as a freshman dummy. and made plenty of key plays to help us win a title.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Brimah and Nolan are 3-4 year players. Stone is a 1 and done and a sure-thing NBA lottery pick when he declares. This is how you bring home consistency and championships. High-end talent to use up most of the minutes and quality depth to rescue foul trouble. Also gives Brimah and Nolan a year of practicing against someone like Stone for a full year to work on their games so when they return to get the bulk of the minutes (if we don't recruit another C), they are more polished. Everyone can only get better when you have that kind of quality depth.

Reaction Score
lol. he led the country in block% as a freshman dummy. and made plenty of key plays to help us win a title.

If you're going to call someone a dummy...

Code:
Rank    Player       Team         Ht    Wt    Yr    %Blks
1    Reggie Lynch    Illinois St   6-10    230    Fr    16.14
2    Rhamel Brown    Manhattan    6-7    230    Sr    15.73
3    Chris Obekpa    St. John's    6-9    240    So    15.72
4    Mamadou Ndiaye   UC Irvine    7-6    290    Fr    15.12
5    Amida Brimah    Connecticut    7-0    217    Fr    15.11

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
But since this thread is about Enoch, I would LOVE to have him play the 4. Against big physical teams, you could even get away with putting him as a very big 3 I think. Stone and Brimah/Nolan as our 4/5. Gives Ollie lots of versatility to make in-game adjustments.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I don't know why you'd pencil in a completely unproven kid over a guy who's going to be a senior when the unproven freshman gets to campus. I know we love to get hyped up about videos but - as history demonstrates time and time again - there aren't too many recruits who look crappy in their highlight videos. Watching a kid who's just physically more imposing than anyone else on the court shoot the occasional set shot from three doesn't make him a "stretch four" to me, or mean he's going to step in and beat out a guy who's been in the program for 4 years. (I'm talking about Enoch starting and Phil being relegated to spot duty. I don't see that at all.)

I'm also not sure why you seem to write off Facey. But whatever, it's the summer.

I think everyone is selling Facey's outside game way short.

Reaction Score
Top 5 still makes my point. I'm a dummy because i dont think he's a backup energy guy?
If you're going to call someone a dummy...

Code:
Rank    Player       Team         Ht    Wt    Yr    %Blks
1    Reggie Lynch    Illinois St   6-10    230    Fr    16.14
2    Rhamel Brown    Manhattan    6-7    230    Sr    15.73
3    Chris Obekpa    St. John's    6-9    240    So    15.72
4    Mamadou Ndiaye   UC Irvine    7-6    290    Fr    15.12
5    Amida Brimah    Connecticut    7-0    217    Fr    15.11

Reaction Score
I'm a dummy because i dont think he's a backup energy guy?

Didn't call you a dummy. You called him a dummy and then were inaccurate in the same sentence. It was funny.

Reaction Score
Translation: Lots of these colleges offer recruits sexy coeds and I ain't got my fill yet.

Reaction Score
Facey was pretty much Enoch 2 years ago, but now because he spent a year behind the #37th pick in a loaded draft, and another guy who started on the German national team and turned into one of the best spot up shooters in CBB, he won't ever be able to play meaninful minutes here. Just clownish...

I think people are probably worried about Facey being able to stay on the court, given his ludicrous foul rate. That wasn't because of Daniels and Giffey; that was because he needs to get a lot better.

Reaction Score
I love that this kid is showing the maturity he is by taking his time with this whole process. There's no need to rush it, the decommitted guys all over the country prove that. As long as we keep our interest up I like our chances.

Reaction Score
I think people are probably worried about Facey being able to stay on the court, given his ludicrous foul rate. That wasn't because of Daniels and Giffey; that was because he needs to get a lot better.

The reason Facey had a "ludicrous foul rate" was because he played behind Giffey and Daniels. His foul rate wasn't due to poor athleticism, but his inexperience with the speed and rotations of the college game. With more minutes, I see no reason why he won't be able to adjust and become a capable defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom