Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Kid would fit so well in our system too. He can run the floor, block shots, long... seems like your prototypical UConn big.

Looking at his skill set and agility, I see more Donyell in him than Cliffy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Brand was 6'8, 260 when he got to college, to Enoch's 6'10, 220. Brand was a back-to-the-basket widebody, while Enoch floats around the perimeter and hits threes. I don't think you could have come up with a less apt comparison.

Enoch reminds me a lot of Cliff Robinson, though.

Completely absurd. Cliff barely weighed 220 when he left UConn and wasn't more than 6'9".

The correct analogy is that Steve Enoch has a similar height, weight, frame and bball game similar to Shawn Kemp.

And please don't waste any space threadjacking this and trying to defend your position.

Reaction Score
Completely absurd. Cliff barely weighed 220 when he left UConn and wasn't more than 6'9".

The correct analogy is that Steve Enoch has a similar height, weight, frame and bball game similar to Shawn Kemp.

And please don't waste any space threadjacking this and trying to defend your position.

Robinson was listed at 6'11" his senior year (though 6'10" as a pro), and my comparison was based on the fact that Robinson took and made a lot of threes during his basketball career. Enoch's shooting game is further along than Cliff's was at the same stage, but I don't think it's an unreasonable comparison.

Also, hilarious to tell me I'm wrong while begging me to not respond.

Reaction Score

I don't see Shawn Kemp. Kemp's athleticism was off the charts elite. I think people are getting ahead themselves with comparing this kid to such great players. He looks solid but no where near a guarantee to be a terrific player.

Reaction Score
http://zagsblog.com/articles/6-10-steve-enoch-grew-up-a-uconn-fan/

“Growing up I’ve always wanted to play at UConn and my family wanted me to,” the 6-foot-10 Enoch told SNY.tv last week at the Reebok Classic Breakout. “And they’ve all been fans of UConn. Now that I have [a scholarship offer] I gotta take it slow because I really have to study their program.”

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
It looks positive for UConn obviously. But young Mr. Enoch deserves to enjoy the attention and the spotlight for a while before he commits anywhere. He's worked hard, might as well have some fun with it.

Fingers crossed for the right outcome. Being close enough to home for your family to see every home game has to be a pretty big factor.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Robinson was listed at 6'11" his senior year (though 6'10" as a pro), and my comparison was based on the fact that Robinson took and made a lot of threes during his basketball career. Enoch's shooting game is further along than Cliff's was at the same stage, but I don't think it's an unreasonable comparison.

Also, hilarious to tell me I'm wrong while begging me to not respond.

So you're suggesting that comparing Enoch to Cliff Robinson is reasonable since Enoch is a bigger body and shoots better than Cliff did at the same age, but someone comparing Enoch to Elton Brand or Shawn Kemp is off since his game is different than their's and their size is different?

Got it.

This board gets borderline insufferable during the summer when there's almost no news and everything is speculation. It's as if people just make up wild thoughts and put it online trying to agitate others.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't see Shawn Kemp. Kemp's athleticism was off the charts elite. I think people are getting ahead themselves with comparing this kid to such great players. He looks solid but no where near a guarantee to be a terrific player.

I don't get why people have to hate on Enoch so much. The kid is turning heads everywhere he goes and has gone from an unknown to a Top-50 player in six months.

Look at the mix tape of Enoch's coast to coast drive and then go to you tube and pull up Kemp's coast to coast drive in the 1988 McD's AA game. It's easy to see the comparison. Plus they have the same hair cut, height and weight.

Reaction Score
For those who follow recruiting more than I do I am just wondering if we land Enoch how do you think that would affect us with Diamond stone?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
From the 1 minute highlight tape I see a mix of Kareem Abdul Jabaar, Tim Duncan, Elvin Hayes and Dirk.

Thank you. I read your comparisons and re-watched the tape. Definitely see the Elvin Hayes face up game with the way Enoch squares up and shoots his J. I think I even saw some Bill Waltonish blocks where Enoch keeps the ball in play to start the fast break.

Reaction Score
So you're suggesting that comparing Enoch to Cliff Robinson is reasonable since Enoch is a bigger body and shoots better than Cliff did at the same age, but someone comparing Enoch to Elton Brand or Shawn Kemp is off since his game is different than their's and their size is different?

Got it.

This board gets borderline insufferable during the summer when there's almost no news and everything is speculation. It's as if people just make up wild thoughts and put it online trying to agitate others.

Cliff is listed at 6-10, 225 on BR, so I'm really not sure what you're talking about as far as body type goes. The games are similar because both are more finesse-type bigs, even though Cliff's long-range shooting took off more in the pros than at UConn. Brand is completely dissimilar: a short, wide, back-to-the-basket type who rarely took jumpers. I didn't say anything to anyone about Kemp, though the fact that his success was largely predicated on being a generational athlete (so much so that he completely cratered when his athleticism suffered as he fell out of shape) makes me disinclined to compare anyone to him.

I do agree that you're being insufferable, though.

Reaction Score
For those who follow recruiting more than I do I am just wondering if we land Enoch how do you think that would affect us with Diamond stone?

My impression is that Enoch is more of a 4, while Stone is a pure 5. They could play alongside each other. I think the bigger question is, will one of them (particularly Stone) be turned off by the idea of being being Brimah and/or Nolan on the depth chart?

Reaction Score
My impression is that Enoch is more of a 4, while Stone is a pure 5. They could play alongside each other. I think the bigger question is, will one of them (particularly Stone) be turned off by the idea of being being Brimah and/or Nolan on the depth chart?

I'd be surprised if Stone weren't better than both Brimah and Nolan the day he stopped on campus.

Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if Stone weren't better than both Brimah and Nolan the day he stopped on campus.

offensively, maybe to probably, I doubt he would be better than if a junior year Brimah on defense tho.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Cliff is listed at 6-10, 225 on BR, so I'm really not sure what you're talking about as far as body type goes. The games are similar because both are more finesse-type bigs, even though Cliff's long-range shooting took off more in the pros than at UConn. Brand is completely dissimilar: a short, wide, back-to-the-basket type who rarely took jumpers. I didn't say anything to anyone about Kemp, though the fact that his success was largely predicated on being a generational athlete (so much so that he completely cratered when his athleticism suffered as he fell out of shape) makes me disinclined to compare anyone to him.

I do agree that you're being insufferable, though.

Except Cliff was no where near 225 lbs between his junior and senior year of high school. Cliff was barely 200 lbs when he showed up to UConn.

Enoch is closer in weight to Brand was in high school than Cliff is to Enoch.

Reaction Score
From the 1 minute highlight tape I see a mix of Kareem Abdul Jabaar, Tim Duncan, Elvin Hayes and Dirk.
All that's missing is 'a little bit of Shaq' then he could just skip college and NBA games and play in just the All Star games.

Reaction Score
I'm not hating on the kid at all. It would be more productive to let the kid keep developing and temper expectations. He doesn't remind me of Shawn Kemp at all. Just being realistic, without delusions of grandeur.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I like both Brimah and Nolan, but I doubt either one is scaring Diamond Stone.

As fans, we're much more attuned to the upsides of both players, but an outsider is going to see a pair of players who averaged a combined seven and five last season.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I like both Brimah and Nolan, but I doubt either one is scaring Diamond Stone.

As fans, we're much more attuned to the upsides of both players, but an outsider is going to see a pair of players who averaged a combined seven and five last season.

Don't forget ten...fouls. I'm not satisfied with the depth at center.

Yeah, players of Stone's caliber don't fear competition. Look at UK's recruits, year after year.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Enoch is a power forward that likes to step out and take a three. He could be the next stretch four and I hope that is what Ollie is selling him on as well as being a local player.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Got it.

Somebody's cranky today.

And for the record, while we're all basing these comps off like 90 seconds of video, the comparison to Cliffy is much more apt than the comparison to Elton Brand. Brand was a behemoth who bullied his way to hoops. Enoch doesn't seem like a back-to-the-basket guy. Cliffy didn't really start hitting 3's until he was in the NBA but he had more of a jump shot than Brand did.

Enoch kind of reminds me of a poor man's Jabari. He's a little taller and not as skilled, but he can shoot from the outside, block shots and rebound, and presumably post up a little as well. Again, that's from watching 2 or 3 videos of this kid. It's my opinion.

In any event, I don't know why you're so ticked off at Bruce for expressing his opinion. You made it personal for some reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro