Djery Baptiste (Committed to Vanderbilt) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Djery Baptiste (Committed to Vanderbilt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
"The Crystal Ball is 100% Vanderbilt."
Meyer was the only one who had Baptiste going to us. When he changed his Stone pick to UConn, he changed his Baptiste pick back to Vandy.

Whoever signs first is the one I want.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I am not sure I agree with that. Stone is a top 10 kid and baptiste is top 90. That is to much off a leap to say you would take either.

Jones and clarke you could say that

We have a very good basketball team. The fate of our program isn't dependent on getting a top-10 center. Top 90 players still turn into productive and valuable college players, even if they aren't lottery picks. Would Stone be a better player and give us more publicity? Arguably, yes. That doesn't mean every other option is garbage. We are not screwed if Baptiste ends up being our center from this class instead of Stone -- chances are he could turn into a pretty good player himself.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Meyer was the only one who had Baptiste going to us. When he changed his Stone pick to UConn, he changed his Baptiste pick back to Vandy.

Whoever signs first is the one I want.

Agree with 99. Give me Stone, Enoch, Koumdje (?), and then Baptiste. In that order.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We have a very good basketball team. The fate of our program isn't dependent on getting a top-10 center. Top 90 players still turn into productive and valuable college players, even if they aren't lottery picks. Would Stone be a better player and give us more publicity? Arguably, yes. That doesn't mean every other option is garbage. We are not screwed if Baptiste ends up being our center from this class instead of Stone -- chances are he could turn into a pretty good player himself.

He didn't say the fate of the program rested on this. But 100 times out of 100 you'd prefer to have Stone over Baptiste. Unless you are on Chappy type drugs.

Reaction Score
stone is so good i want him in storrs bad. he is good at everything. plays defense, has polish on the offensive end, rebounds, can face up, and has above average vision for a center. would be our best player the minute he steps on campus. I have a gut feeling we'll sign him too.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
He didn't say the fate of the program rested on this. But 100 times out of 100 you'd prefer to have Stone over Baptiste. Unless you are on Chappy type drugs.
I'm not on drugs (today), but generally speaking I rate guys who'll stay for 3-4 years higher than guys who will likely stay just 1. Most one-year players are much better NBA prospects than they are college basketball players, and unless you have an Anthony Davis, once-in-a-decade type guy, I don't think it's easy to win with a freshman focal point.

Would I complain if we landed Stone? Of course not. But I don't think he'll give us an appreciably better chance of winning next year, and suspect he'll be in the league the year after that. Baptiste, on the other hand, could end up being a guy we build around for a few years.

Obviously YMMV, and we really can't lose. I just don't think it's as cut and dried as "Top 5 vs. Top 90."

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

FYI I've been off of those for a while. Yes, I would prefer Stone. I already said he was the better player. But I'm not married to the idea that he has to be our center from this class. If he ends up going elsewhere and we have Baptiste/Koumadje, I would not be ridiculously upset.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm not on drugs (today), but generally speaking I rate guys who'll stay for 3-4 years higher than guys who will likely stay just 1. Most one-year players are much better NBA prospects than they are college basketball players, and unless you have an Anthony Davis, once-in-a-decade type guy, I don't think it's easy to win with a freshman focal point.

Would I complain if we landed Stone? Of course not. But I don't think he'll give us an appreciably better chance of winning next year, and suspect he'll be in the league the year after that. Baptiste, on the other hand, could end up being a guy we build around for a few years.

Obviously YMMV, and we really can't lose. I just don't think it's as cut and dried as "Top 5 vs. Top 90."

I guess my perspective is as follows. We'll likely have a very strong Amidah Brimah next year. From what I've seen, Stone and Brimah could play together and/or split minutes. We are likely an FF level team next year, and a guy like Stone could help put us over the top. I wouldn't expect a player like Baptiste to contribute at all next year, given what we already have in the fold.

That's the main reason I want Stone. Championship #5. God willing, maybe 6.

Reaction Score
I guess my perspective is as follows. We'll likely have a very strong Amidah Brimah next year. From what I've seen, Stone and Brimah could play together and/or split minutes. We are likely an FF level team next year, and a guy like Stone could help put us over the top. I wouldn't expect a player like Baptiste to contribute at all next year, given what we already have in the fold.

exactly. and #5 aint happening with koumadje. crossing my fingers we dont touch him, he's 2 years aaway from being 2 years away. a Junior brimah is on his way to the first round of the draft, and putting stone next to him turns it into one of our more promising front courts ever. well rounded, because stone can play like a power forward.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score

Agreed, adding Stone next year would potentially make us legit FF4 contenders. Enoch and Baptiste/Koumadje wouldn't give us that immediate over the top boost. They could end up paying dividends in the long run but you can't just scoff at the idea of a recruit who could be 1 and done for the sake of going after guys who may or may not develop in 3-4 years.

A lot of UConn fans are spoiled with how well JC was able to develop less heralded recruits and would prefer that than land a true blue chipper. All these raw and project type guys don't always pan out so I think it's all about finding a mix of the top recruits and the long term prospect guys to bring in.

We will never be UK and just target the top 25 recruits in each class but now that we have put ourselves in position to recruit with the best of them, why not start hauling in some more blue chippers

Reaction Score
We have a very good basketball team. The fate of our program isn't dependent on getting a top-10 center.

That doesn't mean every other option is garbage. We are not screwed if Baptiste ends up being our center from this class instead of Stone -- chances are he could turn into a pretty good player himself.

wow man. you made a HUGE leap with what I said!

side note Kemba walker was plan b or c?

C

Chief00

I love Brimah and see the potential others see - but I am skeptical he will be a consistent star this year. The injury has set him back and for a guy who hasn't played many years - he needs the summer balling more than others - True we hear he has worked very hard on his shoulder rehab and I love his enthusiasm. I think he can be a defense force if he plays smarter and avoids fouls but I am skeptical about huge offensive improvement.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They don't really need much offensive improvement from Brimah.If the 4.1 ppg turns into 5.0 points a game, so what - it's the 3.0 rbg that needs to become 6.5 rbg.

He doesn't need to be a consistent star - he's the fifth-option on the floor. He needs to rebound, play D and keep himself in the game and not on the bench with foul trouble,

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
You know why JC got players that weren't ranked top 50? I bet it was mostly because he had no choice.
The idea that JC was turning down top talent to develop someone ranked #108 is kinda funny. Good thing was he could see talent in 108 and develop it. But I'm pretty sure JC would take Stone over Babtiste or Koumadje.
I have no problem taking 1 or 2 good years on the front end vs 1 or 2 good years on the back end of a project. The former uses up only 2 scholarship years, the latter costs 4.
Of course you need the right kids with team attitude. But I think that could be an issue with a kid ranked 108 too.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
They don't really need much offensive improvement from Brimah.If the 4.1 ppg turns into 5.0 points a game, so what - it's the 3.0 rbg that needs to become 6.5 rbg.

He doesn't need to be a consistent star - he's the fifth-option on the floor. He needs to rebound, play D and keep himself in the game and not on the bench with foul trouble,

Will 5 and 6.5 be enough? That depends on our PF too. He can't be 5 and 6.5 and be the fourth option on the team.
Excited as I am for the season, and as much as I love Brimah, I think our front court is a total mystery. I think people forgot how bad it looked at times last year. As I said before, 2 out of Brimah, Nolan and Facey have to take a pretty big step up for us this year. I'm guessing Brimah & Facey.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
wow man. you made a HUGE leap with what I said!

side note Kemba walker was plan b or c?

Nah, I'm pretty sure he was plan A...

I'm not saying that lower-ranked players should be taken over higher ranked players. Stone would be more beneficial to our program than Baptiste. But ~80 spots in the rankings is not a big enough difference to make me upset if Stone doesn't end up coming here. I wasn't shaking my fist and dreaming of Brandon Knight (No. 6 in Rivals's 2010 rankings) when Shabazz (No. 98) committed...

Reaction Score
See ....

I don't think Jim Calhoun, or Kevin Ollie, is sitting there thinking hmmm ... I can take #108 Emeka Okafor or # top15 "one of" the Plumlies. He probably knew, firstly, that Okafor really was a underrated top handful of guys he wanted. Probably has a board with 5-8 Centers he really likes & after talking to them, they get focused on 3 0r 4. Rarely does a guy rise to UConn desperately wanting him (and conversely ... a kid really wants to be in Storrs). Diamond Stone might be one of a handful for UConn; but, in general, we get the top 80 (particularly with Bigs) and we are fine.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
I guess my perspective is as follows. We'll likely have a very strong Amidah Brimah next year. From what I've seen, Stone and Brimah could play together and/or split minutes. We are likely an FF level team next year, and a guy like Stone could help put us over the top...
Or he could kill our chemistry.

Maybe I'm to scarred by 2011/12, but I'd be ok with a center who's there to learn for a year while he backs up Amida & Phil.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score

Maybe I'm to scarred by 2011/12, but I'd be ok with a center who's there to learn for a year while he backs up Amida & Phil.
So are you insinuating that Drummond killed our team's chemistry in the 2011-12 season?...that is far off

Whatever chemistry our team had from the 2011 championship went out the door with Kemba leaving for the draft, not when Drummond stepped foot on campus.

Stone wouldn't kill any chemistry, if he's as good as advertised then he will find a way to contribute in a positive way. Blue chippers now have a stigma for killing chemistry I guess....

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I do think we heaped too many expectations on Drummond. He was an insane athlete who was very raw basketball wise. He was ranked so highly because of that athleticism. He needed time for his game to catch up.

By all accounts, Stone's game is ready to go from day 1. Also, he and his family seem like very level headed folks. I have a hard time believing he'd wreck chemistry, especially given the fact that Amidah will be the team's leader (according to Ollie).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom