Djery Baptiste (Committed to Vanderbilt) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Djery Baptiste (Committed to Vanderbilt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Imagine this kid next to Rak Lubin. That's almost 14 feet of pure muscle. That's NBA level intimidation .
We. Could win a lot of fights unlike that skinny bunch of misfits who could only win a NC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Never said I was right DM……I could care less when someone disagrees with me, just can't imagine you seeing him on ESPN Peach Jam and having that much input I guess, take it for what it's worth - nothing! And this post made me seem cranky? You come up with a lot over a little huh? Maybe you can write a book then on how I am cranky? Not sure who's overreacting here but whatever, I'll move on! Pretty sure if you can read as well as you write I mentioned what my opinion means squat but you seem a little whacked so time to move on! :rolleyes:
Getting a last shot in and then saying you're moving on?!?! Really! When was I accusing you of saying you were right? We're both just offering our opinions based on what we've read and seen. I could be proven wrong, which wouldn't be the first time.

I don't want to get into a pissing fight with you. You did reply, "Imagine DM you were able to come up with all of this in ONE Peach Jam game?" That remark sure seems like you didn't like my assessment or that I disagreed with your view that Clarke has a better chance to play right away due to his abilities...than Jones. Did you watch the Boo Williams Peach Jam game? Maybe you did. I did and watched most of the clips I could find on both players. It seems that most of the so called experts who are at these events are saying they like Clarke's game, but are wowed by how much Jones has improved and is playing right now.

I scratch my head at the idea that Clarke is more physically ready than Jones. They both look about the same thickness. They both need to fill out, but wings aren't like bigs where they will be pushed around in the blocks until they fill out. Rip and even Donyell weren't exactly heavy weights and did just fine in college playing primarily on the perimeter.

Hey, maybe I'll be proven wrong. I do like how Clarke does seem to do a lot of different things on the court. I remember a nice pass or two in the Peach Jam semis. He seemed passive on offense, deferring to his teammates most of the time. One possible reason for the lack of touches was when Boo Williams got behind the guards didn't seem to be giving up the ball and were chucking up a lot of Js. I would have liked to see them give him the ball more, but he seemed reluctant to put the ball on the floor and attack the basket in the half-court.

Anyhow, you comment I quoted above sure seemed like a cheap shot. Maybe I misread you on that one. Now I'll do what you did and say I'm moving on and sent a :rolleyes: back at ya.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
We. Could win a lot of fight unlike that skinny bunch of misfits who could only win a NC.
That's true but I really think we're a 2015 recruit from going back to being " shot block" university for the next 3-5 years. It could happen this season with The addition of DHam, Facey and Lubin.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Imagine a Ja/tsam/rp, Dham, KF/d'jery/ab/pn line up in 15-16 that is a national championship lineup.

Reaction Score
Getting a last shot in and then saying you're moving on?!?! Really! When was I accusing you of saying you were right? We're both just offering our opinions based on what we've read and seen. I could be proven wrong, which wouldn't be the first time.

I don't want to get into a pissing fight with you. You did reply, "Imagine DM you were able to come up with all of this in ONE Peach Jam game?" That remark sure seems like you didn't like my assessment or that I disagreed with your view that Clarke has a better chance to play right away due to his abilities...than Jones. Did you watch the Boo Williams Peach Jam game? Maybe you did. I did and watched most of the clips I could find on both players. It seems that most of the so called experts who are at these events are saying they like Clarke's game, but are wowed by how much Jones has improved and is playing right now.

I scratch my head at the idea that Clarke is more physically ready than Jones. They both look about the same thickness. They both need to fill out, but wings aren't like bigs where they will be pushed around in the blocks until they fill out. Rip and even Donyell weren't exactly heavy weights and did just fine in college playing primarily on the perimeter.

Hey, maybe I'll be proven wrong. I do like how Clarke does seem to do a lot of different things on the court. I remember a nice pass or two in the Peach Jam semis. He seemed passive on offense, deferring to his teammates most of the time. One possible reason for the lack of touches was when Boo Williams got behind the guards didn't seem to be giving up the ball and were chucking up a lot of Js. I would have liked to see them give him the ball more, but he seemed reluctant to put the ball on the floor and attack the basket in the half-court.

Anyhow, you comment I quoted above sure seemed like a cheap shot. Maybe I misread you on that one. Now I'll do what you did and say I'm moving on and sent a :rolleyes: back at ya.

:eek:

Reaction Score
Want Jones. No Jones would be ok with Clarke , and there will be most likely somebody else. Other candidates?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
That's true but I really think we're a 2015 recruit from going back to being " shot block" university for the next 3-5 years. It could happen this season with The addition of DHam, Facey and Lubin.

With Amida, we will have a shot changer/blocker but I'm not sure I would want our guys to be trying to block every shot as we have in the past. We just won an NC with superior man-to-man defense and I'd like to see this new bunch continue in that way so we don't give up so many points on the weak side due to 3 guys trying to block the same shot. It's not all-or-nothing, just a balance where our guys fight to keep between their man and the basket. I think that Phil Nolan's defense was a much bigger factor than Amida's shot-blocking in the tournament and hope to see better rebounding by our front line as well. Giffey's rebounding was a near miracle late in the year and our frontline will still be quite skinny unless Rock is ready for significant minutes.

Reaction Score
That's exactly the rhetoric opposing coaches use now when recruiting top-flight bigs against us. For better or worse, we're developing a reputation as a program that lets guards show their abilities, but that has no use for talented bigs.

Guards want assists too. With a more experienced front court this past year Shabazz could have potentially had 7 or 8 assists per game with his craftiness and looking to dispense. I have a feeling that Amidah is going to get us back towards having that inside offensive presence. Even if it is just the catch and jam. A big man wants guards who can get him the ball and open the court....and right now we're "guard U". It'll evolve.

Reaction Score
Guards want assists too. With a more experienced front court this past year Shabazz could have potentially had 7 or 8 assists per game with his craftiness and looking to dispense. I have a feeling that Amidah is going to get us back towards having that inside offensive presence. Even if it is just the catch and jam. A big man wants guards who can get him the ball and open the court....and right now we're "guard U". It'll evolve.
Yup. and deandre daniels says hello. KO is developing every spot on his roster. he just turned a 3 star big into a top 20 player in his class. At the end of the day it comes down to if a recruit likes the atmosphere (campus/people) and the culture of uconn hoops.

Reaction Score
Seems you don't like it when someone disagrees with you.

And people disagree with you too. And put me on that list.

Honestly, DM everyone knows Jones is the better prospect than Clarke, any recruiting site will say so, because it's true. But the problem I have with what you say is that you seem to have a very strong judgment on Clarke for someone with an admittedly small amount of knowledge of his game.

Find the Boo Williams games from Thursday-Saturday of that tournament; he was the biggest reason they finished on top of a tough Pool. The game on ESPN put him up against the Lawsons and Team Penny, not an easy task for anyone.

Reaction Score

And people disagree with you too. And put me on that list.

Honestly, DM everyone knows Jones is the better prospect than Clarke, any recruiting site will say so, because it's true. But the problem I have with what you say is that you seem to have a very strong judgment on Clarke for someone with an admittedly small amount of knowledge of his game.

Find the Boo Williams games from Thursday-Saturday of that tournament; he was the biggest reason they finished on top of a tough Pool. The game on ESPN put him up against the Lawsons and Team Penny, not an easy task for anyone.

I'm fine with people disagreeing with me. It would be quite boring on this board if everyone agreed with each other. With that said, I have an opinion based on what I saw and what I've read. I just didn't agree with what was posted that Clarke would be more ready to contribute right away than Jones. I thought Jones is and will be a superior talent. Now the gap might be much less than what I'm anticipating. I just don't think Jones is as raw as some make him out to be in this thread and others I've read on the Yard. And didn't think Clarke was the uber-motor and lock-down defender that I've read as well. Can't tell that by video clips, and I did only see one of his games. I've often made the same argument that you made, when I read reports by some who base their opinions on watching one game. I might be very wrong, in that Clarke is the high-motor and elite defender that some have said. I hope is that and more, regardless to where he lands.

I didn't think I had such a strong judgement on Clarke, as you put it. I would be fine if we land him. I have full confidence that KO can coach a great deal out of him if he were to come here. I just would like to see UConn hold off on pulling the trigger on Clarke, which some have advocated, and hang in there a while hoping to land Jones instead, that's all. There's just not enough scholarships to take two wings. It's going to be Jones, Clarke or some other wing...that is if they end up with a wing and not another guard or multiple bigs.

Are there others who feel the same as I do? Maybe I'm in the minority. If I felt that Clarke was close to the talent that Jones is, I'd say pull the trigger sooner than later on him. I think it's a mistake when coaches put all or most of the eggs in one basket and hang in too long against the big boys on too many recruits. Zona under Lute did that a lot near the end of his run and ended up on the losing end of too many recruiting battles, having to settle for inferior recruiting classes that kept them down for a spell. They're back near the top now with Sean Miller at the helm. I like that KO is battling hard for some elite recruits, but I don't want him to miss out on those diamonds-in-the-rough recruits, which our 4-time NC championship program has been built on, by battling too long against other elite programs. It would be fun to see an athlete like Jones play at UConn, who I think has a lot of game and is not just an athlete which some have implied on the Yard.

I might be proven wrong. I've been on the Yard a long time now. Those who know me, know that I will eat my pound of crow when proven wrong. But I do get it right often. I used to attend events live and even interviewed recruits for the Boneyard back-in-the-day. Now that doesn't mean that my assessments have always been right. I do feel I'm a student of the game though. Mau has been around a long time as well, I believe longer than me, and is a very knowledgeable fan as well whom I respect and usually agree with. We just differ on this one, which is fine. If Clarke turns out to be more ready to play than Jones and the gap between the two is a lot closer than I think, I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
Hmm swear I clicked on the "UConn offers pf/c Djery Baptise" thread
Maybe we should have two different rooms "UConn basketball" and for people like me who like the recruiting process and enjoy people opinions for what their worth a "UConn basketball recruiting" room to avoid all these constant conflicts. BUT what do I know I clicked on the wrong thread :)

Reaction Score
I'm fine with people disagreeing with me. It would be quite boring on this board if everyone agreed with each other. With that said, I have an opinion based on what I saw and what I've read. I just didn't agree with what was posted that Clarke would be more ready to contribute right away than Jones. I thought Jones is and will be a superior talent. Now the gap might be much less than what I'm anticipating. I just don't think Jones is as raw as some make him out to be in this thread and others I've read on the Yard. And didn't think Clarke was the uber-motor and lock-down defender that I've read as well. Can't tell that by video clips, and I did only see one of his games. I've often made the same argument that you made, when I read reports by some who base their opinions on watching one game. I might be very wrong, in that Clarke is the high-motor and elite defender that some have said. I hope is that and more, regardless to where he lands.

I didn't think I had such a strong judgement on Clarke, as you put it. I would be fine if we land him. I have full confidence that KO can coach a great deal out of him if he were to come here. I just would like to see UConn hold off on pulling the trigger on Clarke, which some have advocated, and hang in there a while hoping to land Jones instead, that's all. There's just not enough scholarships to take two wings. It's going to be Jones, Clarke or some other wing...that is if they end up with a wing and not another guard or multiple bigs.

Are there others who feel the same as I do? Maybe I'm in the minority. If I felt that Clarke was close to the talent that Jones is, I'd say pull the trigger sooner than later on him. I think it's a mistake when coaches put all or most of the eggs in one basket and hang in too long against the big boys on too many recruits. Zona under Lute did that a lot near the end of his run and ended up on the losing end of too many recruiting battles, having to settle for inferior recruiting classes that kept them down for a spell. They're back near the top now with Sean Miller at the helm. I like that KO is battling hard for some elite recruits, but I don't want him to miss out on those diamonds-in-the-rough recruits, which our 4-time NC championship program has been built on, by battling too long against other elite programs. It would be fun to see an athlete like Jones play at UConn, who I think has a lot of game and is not just an athlete which some have implied on the Yard.

I might be proven wrong. I've been on the Yard a long time now. Those who know me, know that I will eat my pound of crow when proven wrong. But I do get it right often. I used to attend events live and even interviewed recruits for the Boneyard back-in-the-day. Now that doesn't mean that my assessments have always been right. I do feel I'm a student of the game though. Mau has been around a long time as well, I believe longer than me, and is a very knowledgeable fan as well whom I respect and usually agree with. We just differ on this one, which is fine. If Clarke turns out to be more ready to play than Jones and the gap between the two is a lot closer than I think, I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong.

DM I also respect you're knowledge and opinion so there was never any intent to throw in "cheap shots" or anything like that so let's agree to disagree on this one, although the reality is we agree on one thing - We will both be happy with either Jones or Clarke, bottom line….right! LOL……………………..let's talk about PF's and C's now……...;)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

While I'd like to take the superior talent every time, I get really nervous about holding out. You could easily miss out on both guys that way. It's not like every kid is hanging on a UCONN scholarship, just waiting for the dominoes to fall their way (like at UK). I guess I'm saying that I am a 'bird in the hand' guy.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
While I'd like to take the superior talent every time, I get really nervous about holding out. You could easily miss out on both guys that way. It's not like every kid is hanging on a UCONN scholarship, just waiting for the dominoes to fall their way (like at UK). I guess I'm saying that I am a 'bird in the hand' guy.
But will it be a "Big Bird" package!!!

I have mixed thoughts on this debate. I Want Jones just so some Yarder down the line can argue he doesn't have NBA athleticism.:cool:

On the other hand there is a part of me that would like to see UConn end up with options 3, e and 5 because I miss all the whining. We need to have the sky is falling crowd back again. Good for the mojo at the very least. And I think this forum is becoming too similar to the Women's BB forum. Too much Kumbaya tone expressed here lately.;)

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I prefer Jones. I think after the "discussion" began some folks were just hardening their stand beyond logic (e.g Emeka). Seems to happen on forums a lot. We all bleed blue.

As far as how you know when to hold'em and fold'em with recruits, I have no idea and can only trust the staff. Ultimately, if you don't occasionally miss out, you are doing something wrong(unless you have tentacles)

Reaction Score
DM I also respect you're knowledge and opinion so there was never any intent to throw in "cheap shots" or anything like that so let's agree to disagree on this one, although the reality is we agree on one thing - We will both be happy with either Jones or Clarke, bottom line….right! LOL……………………..let's talk about PF's and C's now……...;)
We do agree on that. All is good. And LOL on let's talk about the PFs & Cs. It's fun that we have all these recruits to talk about. KO is really tearing it up on the recruiting trail. I can't wait to see what our 2015 class turns out to be.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Does anyone have any insight on why this kid doesnt see anytime on his aau team and has extremely pedestrian #s for his highschool squad? Look at this body and athleticism doesnt make much sense to me.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have any insight on why this kid doesnt see anytime on his aau team and has extremely pedestrian #s for his highschool squad? Look at this body and athleticism doesnt make much sense to me.

Only thing left that I can think of would be talent level. Work out tape, on his own, highlights, sure he looks spectacular. Put him in a game situation with other high quality athletes and high talent prospects and his skill set now becomes benign. Maybe he isnt the game changing big man we think he is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@HoopSwag: Djery Baptiste receives offer from the University of Oregon #Pac12

Reaction Score

I have been asking the same question myself. He was a complete nonfactor for the Titans at the Peach Jam. I am very hesitant about this guy because of the lack of playing time. But at the same time I believe that KO and the staff know and see more than I do so there has to be something that they atleast feel they can work with, right? I mean he is an absolute monster, there's no debating that, and you can't teach size.

Reaction Score

Just a guess but he is probably a liability facing all these undersized bigs on the AAU circuit and not skilled enough on offense to exploit his size on offense. The kid is huge and jacked with enormous upside but is ranked around 150 probably because he has no offense yet.

Reaction Score
@HoopSwag: Djery Baptiste receives offer from the University of Oregon #Pac12

Anyone else think Oregon may pull together a nice class because of all the almost guaranteed playing time they'll be able to offer?

Reaction Score
@jerrymeyer247: #Bolt: 6-11 Center Djery Baptiste (#84/#169) visiting his two leaders on consecutive weekends http://post original url/qQ9dhi2mc7 @ChrisSmithVU247

Visit set for weekend after Labor Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman