Perth Wildcats - Introducing Deandre Daniels | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Perth Wildcats - Introducing Deandre Daniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Right. And they absolutely don't sell insurance policies to insure against such an injury.

I'm still waiting on the evidence that suggests he would've "likely" been a first round pick if he stayed for his senior year.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
But his career could be equally ruined before getting to the NBA. One way he would have a degree.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Did Deandre say he left for the money or left to play in the NBA? Really as simple as that.

If for the money - you can't blame him, I would have skipped my last year at college for a low 6 digit paycheck.

If strictly to play in the NBA, he has a lot of crappy friends and family who gave him terrible advice (or conversely he really ignored a lot of good advice - probably a bit of both). Another year in Storrs would undoubtedly have been better for his NBA career. Shabazz analogy said earlier was a very good one IMO.

Reaction Score
If strictly to play in the NBA, he has a lot of crappy friends and family who gave him terrible advice (or conversely he really ignored a lot of good advice - probably a bit of both). Another year in Storrs would undoubtedly have been better for his NBA career. Shabazz analogy said earlier was a very good one IMO.

terrible advice... is that based on him falling to 37? there were draft picks after 37 that have been signed. its really just bad luck ( landing on the wrong team), he left at the exact right time. coming off a chip where he had some of the best games of his career, then you factor in his AGE. you bring up napier, but a guy like lamb probably could have left after his freshman year and been drafted higher than he did in 2012.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
terrible advice... is that based on him falling to 37? there were draft picks after 37 that have been signed. its really just bad luck ( landing on the wrong team), he left at the exact right time. coming off a chip where he had some of the best games of his career, then you factor in his AGE. you bring up napier, but a guy like lamb probably could have left after his freshman year and been drafted higher than he did in 2012.

Falling to 37? No, more like rising to 37. Its not like his stock was falling all year.

Yep, plenty of guys drafted after him, but a lot were guys who would have gone higher the next year or who were out of college time (I would sincerely bet that if all were candid, they would mostly have come back for another year, including DeAndre, if they really knew they were going in the 2nd round).

As for Lamb, no way he goes higher after his Freshmen year. Your memory is way off....

Reaction Score
James said:

Napier was also coming off a season where we were banned and he didn't have any pressure packed games. He wasn't a combine guy who was going to get picked based on sheer athleticism ala Levine from UCLA (or Westbrook, say). So he had a chance to raise his stock by performing big in big spots, which he couldn't have done any better and he was still barely a first rounder. DD was coming off a 20-10 in the FF against the #1 team in the nation known for its defensive cohesion. If he was going to catapult into the first round, the timing might never have gotten better. Plus other than the Florida kids, most prospects lean towards jumping after a title.

I mentioned it before, but CJ Fair seems a really close parallel. Borderline first rounder coming off a FF. Came back, had a bigger role in the offense, didn't get drafted. But no two players or situations are exactly alike.

Reaction Score
The fact that some of us think DeAndre made a horrible decision is just more evidence about how spoiled we are. Have you seen some of the early entries from other schools over the years??

Deandre's decision was an OK decision, it wasn't a no-brainer either way, and it doesn't seem to have been the best decision in hindsight, but who knows what we will be saying a year or 5 from now.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
In Australia? Yeah but not for free. I'm not down on Deandre for his choice. I think it was his to make.

Reaction Score
In Australia? Yeah but not for free. I'm not down on Deandre for his choice. I think it was his to make.

No, go back to UConn. I mean, I'm assuming you're talking about a hypothetical career ending injury.

Reaction Score
I'm still waiting on the evidence that suggests he would've "likely" been a first round pick if he stayed for his senior year.

Come on!!!! Really????

Being a senior and the go to guy on the defending national champions with another year of coaching from Ollie. Let's see what kind of a difference it makes with Boatright. Napier went from a borderline second round pick last year to a top ten pick by coming back for his senior year. Instead of playing in the limelight for a year and boosting his stock as high as it could go, DD is going to play in complete obscurity this year. You can come up with all the what-ifs you want. To me, staying for his senior year was a no brainer.

Reaction Score
Come on!!!! Really????

Being a senior and the go to guy on the defending national champions with another year of coaching from Ollie. Let's see what kind of a difference it makes with Boatright. Napier went from a borderline second round pick last year to a top ten pick by coming back for his senior year. Instead of playing in the limelight for a year and boosting his stock as high as it could go, DD is going to play in complete obscurity this year. You can come up with all the what-ifs you want. To me, staying for his senior year was a no brainer.

How is going 24th equivalent to a "top ten pick"? While DD has advantages over Bazz due to his size/length(but he's not overly athletic for his position), he hasn't shown anything in his 3 years that would lead me to believe he would be a consistent, dominant peformer to garner being selected in the 1st round as a 23 year old. Bazz played like an AA caliber player in his junior year while out of the spotlight, meanwhile DD played out his junior year just like his sophomore year, up and down performances all throughout the season with a dominant finish. His play the past two years doesn't lead me to believe next year would be all that different.

Reaction Score
Come on!!!! Really????

Napier had a ridiculously good Senior year. And he was the 26th pick, not a top 10 pick. WTF are you talking about?

Do you honestly think that it was likely for Daniels to come close to replicating that type of season?

This point has been beaten death on this board for months now, and many people in this thread have reiterated it, but you do realize that being a Senior can often times be seen as a negative in terms of the NBA draft, right?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
@Chief00 just because you find a way to throw "quite frankly" in everyone one of your posts, I don't think anyone is going to confuse you with Jim Calhoun.

I was 50/50 on the DD decision, but in hindsight it does seem like he made a miscalculation.

He improved every single season at UConn and would have a ton more exposure ( and probably fun) at UConn. Worse case? Pick and choose your ideal European team in a year.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
I dont know if you can say he made a mistake once you see them Aussie giiiiiiirlllss;)

Reaction Score
The last guy to decide to come back after a national championship and be a senior leader and get all the extra exposure was Russ Smith. He went 47th.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This is what I perceive to be the main difference between Shabazz and DeAndre's decisions to stay/go pro:

Shabazz was the unquestioned heart and soul of the team this year. Not only was he the go-to option whenever the team was in trouble or needed him, he also made everyone around him that much better, DeAndre included. When Shabazz was off, the whole team seemed to follow suit.

I've always seen DeAndre as a better pro prospect than Boat, but it'd be very difficult to convince me that DeAndre would go incredibly beyond Boatright as a contributor to/leader of next year's team. Shabazz's rise was in part due to the perception that he was the leader of the Huskies, that they were his team. Granted, most media bigwigs and national fans vastly undersold the rest of the team, but it was that characterization that fed his legend. The 2014-15 Huskies would not have been DeAndre's team; maybe it's just the Kemba-Bazz lead guard archetype, but if that falls to any one person, it would have been (and still most likely will be) Boat. Make no mistake, a "dynamic duo" type pairing of the two of them would have been great for the team and make the likelihood of repeating quite a bit higher. But it would not bolster DeAndre's image à la Shabazz.

Reaction Score
The last guy to decide to come back after a national championship and be a senior leader and get all the extra exposure was Russ Smith. He went 47th.

And it's not like he had a bad season. He was a first team All-American.

Reaction Score
Napier had a ridiculously good Senior year. And he was the 26th pick, not a top 10 pick. WTF are you talking about?

Do you honestly think that it was likely for Daniels to come close to replicating that type of season?

This point has been beaten death on this board for months now, and many people in this thread have reiterated it, but you do realize that being a Senior can often times be seen as a negative in terms of the NBA draft, right?

My mistake (wishful thinking) on Bazz's draft spot. Bazz still went in the first round because he stayed for his senior year......DD would have too.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The point about us being spoiled is right. We don't have a whole lot of guys leave early, given our level of success, and they usually end up doing well. You could argue Boone or Marcus Williams, El-Amin, too, but in general our guys leave early because they're no-brainers. Daniels wasn't that level, but not too far. He made a perfectly rational decision.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Our players have done well in the NBA and they have done good while in the NBA. Tate excepted, we have had a bunch of very good citizens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom