Perth Wildcats - Introducing Deandre Daniels | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Perth Wildcats - Introducing Deandre Daniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On a side note, the Raptors signed Daniel Hamilton's brother Jordan Hamilton (SF) to a 1 year contract. I believe Daniels & Jordan Hamilton are friends. It's strange because D.D. & J.Ham are both SF's at the NBA level. Plus Toronto also drafted another SF in Bruno Caboclo. Not really a good sign for D.D. :(

Reaction Score
He was the seventh pick in the second round this year and you don't think there was a 'decent possibility' of him becoming a first round pick next year?

All righty.

Not when he's a year older. Look at how gnikcvf good Shabazz was last year and he was picked 26th.

In the past 5 years, there have been 7 guys drafted in the first round that were 23 or older. I like DeAndre, but unless he got a lot better in one summer, it would've been awfully hard for him to be picked in the first round.

C

Chief00

Not when he's a year older. Look at how good Shabazz was last year and he was picked 26th.

In the past 5 years, there have been 7 guys drafted in the first round that were 23 or older. I like DeAndre, but unless he got a lot better in one summer, it would've been awfully hard for
him to be picked in the first round.

One problem is 2014 was an extremely deep draft - 2015 will be less deep and he would move up on that factor alone.
I also think he had a chance to really display consistency this year with being the primary option with Boat. That would help the consistency perception. We can argue about 2015 but we know it did not serve him well going out in 2014.

Reaction Score
If you leave a school like UConn early and you end up in Perth with no real leverage and no NBA contract, you've made a mistake.
I don't think anybody with a brain could disagree with this statement.
It's like saying, "if you jump into a pond, and a crocodile bites your ass off, you've made a mistake."

It's a hindsight determination, and I agree.

IF DeAndre had the following option - UConn for 4th year or Perthatory, THEN he's going to pick UConn. Right? Right. So in that regard, we all agree.

But reviewing decisions like that is futile.

The only thing that matters is what information he had to work with at the time. He's coming off a National Championship where he had excellent exposure. He had started the year fairly slow and picked it up only toward the end of the year. He had good numbers in the NC run. He was projected potential late 1st early 2nd.

With that information, I think it's completely unfair to the kid to say he made a bad decision.

I guess it's how I view the world - I never conclude that a "bad decision" was made unless it was not the better decision based on the information that was had at the time.

People on this board are so damn happy to rag a kid by saying he 'made a bad decision' or 'he made a mistake.'

Is it inconceivable that he made the best decision and it just didn't work out?

There's an overtone of "See? Told you so. You should have stayed."

C

Chief00

Ollie provided Daniels with draft information - it was not a shock that he was drafted in round 2.
Not ragging on DD but it's instructive to other kids in the same situation. When Jim told DD before the FL game that no one was talking about him - he was right - but admittedly used for motivational purposes.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Was it a mistake? I can't say for sure. I think Perth can improve him just as much as another year at Uconn would. I do believe if he had a similar season as this year he would go first round in next years draft (this years was loaded). One thing I really was disappointed with is that he never seemed to improve his dribbling. I remember an article where Ollie said Deandre told him he can handle the ball much better now. I just didn't see it, I think if he could find a way to handle the rock better he could be way more consistent and efficient on the offensive end. His shot this year was really smooth but sometimes his dribbling would get him caught and he would be forced to pick up his dribble and would have to force a bad shot or toss the ball away. If ennis is any example of the improvement that Perth provides then I think Deandre made a good choice but I also think Uconn could do the same (but he won't make the mula).

Reaction Score
I was worried about Boat making a bad decision and it turned out Daniels did. He may prove to be successful but he listened to the wrong people.
As much as I think Chief is a lunatic who hears voices, he's right.

If you leave a school like UConn early and you end up in Perth with no real leverage and no NBA contract, you've made a mistake.

You can't judge a decision by its results, only the process using information available at the time. Do we know what Ollie and co. told him? Because the mocks all had him in the low 20's at the time he had to declare, his stock was hot, his position is hot, and he wasn't getting any younger. If anyone failed him, it is the NCAA coaches that pressed to move the time to declare before the actual NBA deadline a few years ago.

Quite frankly, I don't believe you understand the pay slots in the NBA draft and you assume Daniels wouldn't continue to improve. So you are the one selling him short.

The good thing is that he can improve in Perth as well at UConn. And get paid for doing it. Now he doesn't get a chance to get drafted by every team, but if he improves enough this year that he would've been a first-round pick despite being 23 at the time of the draft, there's a good chance the Raptors will sign him or he'll be a trade-worthy asset. If he's good enough, he'll make it, same as if he stayed at UConn.

Reaction Score
As much as I think Chief is a lunatic who hears voices, he's right.

I don't think he moves into the first round with another year at UConn. He would be 23 and in a similar position to where he is now. One thing I am certain of, he needs to show consistency or he will continue to have a non US address.

Reaction Score
The fact is that DD is not in the NBA. Its obvious he is not NBA ready (for the Raptors). Its up to him now to turn his least than ideal situation into a 'real' NBA career.

We can speculate, guess or whatever but all he can control now is his effort, dedication and commitment to improve and prove to be NBA ready. Advice is a phone call away. The good thing is that he has a 'real' opportunity since the Raptors did invest in him and they will be watching him, but he must produce and improve.

All I'm saying is that he has a job and wants an immediate promotion, the method/requirement for this is well known. However competition is very stiff.

All we can do is wish him well, and wait and see.

Reaction Score
Making judgements on a kid that helped deliver a NC is lame. He gave everything had to Uconn for 3 years- we should be greatful.
His family might need the money- maybe he wanted to play ball anywhere and get paid- he wound up in a pretty cool place- making as much or more money then most college grads. Horrible.
There are different roads to happiness and not all of them are the same. KEA wanted to play in the NBA as well but has had a wonderful life. I hope DD does as well.

C

Chief00

Making judgements on a kid that helped deliver a NC is lame. He gave everything had to Uconn for 3 years- we should be greatful.
His family might need the money- maybe he wanted to play ball anywhere and get paid- he wound up in a pretty cool place- making as much or more money then most college grads. Horrible.
There are different roads to happiness and not all of them are the same. KEA wanted to play in the NBA as well but has had a wonderful life. I hope DD does as well.
I understand your position; but his goal and passion was to play in the NBA. All I am saying is that a better way to achieve that goal would have been another year at UConn.

Quite frankly, I think part of the problem was his closeness to Boat. And compared to Boat it was a better decision for DD to try the 2014 draft. However, that does not mean it was the right decision for DD either even knowing what was known then - most likely 2nd round. Ok so I agree the kid needs to move on and he could eventually end up there but it won't be the optimal route.

Reaction Score
However, that does not mean it was the right decision for DD either even knowing what was known then - most likely 2nd round.

That was not known then. He was going in first round in every mock out there at the time he made the decision. Maybe Ollie had sources that said otherwise, but as far as we know NO information has come out that has suggested that. All we know is that "Coach Kevin Ollie said he supports Daniels' decision."

Reaction Score
auror said:
That was not known then. He was going in first round in every mock out there at the time he made the decision. Maybe Ollie had sources that said otherwise, but as far as we know NO information has come out that has suggested that. All we know is that "Coach Kevin Ollie said he supports Daniels' decision."

Both versions could be right. A person's draft status is fluid in between the decision deadline and the draft. Depends a lot on how the player performs in workouts and who else declares - as well as which teams draft where after trades and what their needs are. DD had somewhat underwhelming workouts and missed the first round by 7-8 spots. Easy to imagine that some folks had him as a potential first rounder in April, and some thought he would probably be second.

Obviously, no one contact can give the opinion of the entire NBA either. Ollie has plenty of contacts and I'm sure his information was as rock solid as anyone's, but it only takes one team to like you, or one private workout that turns heads. Calhoun was convinced Bynum was making a huge mistake, but the Lakers liked him enough to make him a lotto pick. Certainly you could argue he could have benefited from a year of college to mature a little, but the path he chose got him a lot of money - and the consensus opinion that he was the second best big man in the NBA at his peak. Injuries and attitude derailed him from there.

Reaction Score
I couldn't even read the discussion after seeing that plunger/phallus dynamic duo. WTF.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Both versions could be right. A person's draft status is fluid in between the decision deadline and the draft. Depends a lot on how the player performs in workouts and who else declares - as well as which teams draft where after trades and what their needs are. DD had somewhat underwhelming workouts and missed the first round by 7-8 spots. Easy to imagine that some folks had him as a potential first rounder in April, and some thought he would probably be second.

Obviously, no one contact can give the opinion of the entire NBA either. Ollie has plenty of contacts and I'm sure his information was as rock solid as anyone's, but it only takes one team to like you, or one private workout that turns heads. Calhoun was convinced Bynum was making a huge mistake, but the Lakers liked him enough to make him a lotto pick. Certainly you could argue he could have benefited from a year of college to mature a little, but the path he chose got him a lot of money - and the consensus opinion that he was the second best big man in the NBA at his peak. Injuries and attitude derailed him from there.

Obviously, this is total hindsight, but Bynum absolutely made the right decision. Much better to get injuries while picking up a big paycheck than otherwise. He was injury prone, and it's far better to do that in the pros.

Reaction Score
If Shabazz had left after his junior year, he would have been playing in Australia too. I wish DD well but had he played his senior year, I think he was likely a first round pick. He may have a very nice career bouncing around places like Australia and Europe, but the chances of him getting that big second contract in the NBA that sets him and future generations of his family up for life are almost nil. Had Boat left, he'd be right there in Australia too. Boat got better advice and made the smart decision and still has a chance at being a first round pick.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If Shabazz had left after his junior year, he would have been playing in Australia too. I wish DD well but had he played his senior year, I think he was likely a first round pick. He may have a very nice career bouncing around places like Australia and Europe, but the chances of him getting that big second contract in the NBA that sets him and future generations of his family up for life are almost nil. Had Boat left, he'd be right there in Australia too. Boat got better advice and made the smart decision and still has a chance at being a first round pick.

Guy hasn't played a minute of legit pro ball and you've already mapped out (read undersold) his career progression for him. Nice.

Reaction Score
I think DD would have gotten better exposure at UConn, and thus improved his NBA prospects. The skill is there. Unfortunately, physical strength and consistency wasn't. I personally believe that coming back for his Senior year would have helped. Plus, he would have gotten a second ring.

Reaction Score
Uconn93 said:

CJ Fair - a similar tweener type forward - went undrafted. Had a very similar junior year to DD. Fair might have been a little better his junior year, but didn't have the title or the signature Final Four game that DD had against Florida. Was in a very similar draft position - considered a borderline first round pick, but not a lock and had the chance to come back and be more of a focal point of the offense. He had a good senior year, but didn't really make a huge jump, and his 3 pt percentage went down and his turnovers went up with more usage, exposing some holes.

Obviously the tough part of the argument is that we are comparing a known (where DD went in the draft) to an unknown (where he would have gone next year). Easy to say "would have been first round if he came back" since it can't be disproven.

Reaction Score
This very well could work out fine for DD but I think he would have been dominant this year for us and moved well into the first round, especially the way he came on at the end last year. It's just an opinion and not worth much but he obviously thought he was going first round based on his feeling of his own talent and frankly I think he should have from on what I saw happen draft night.

Reaction Score
Guy hasn't played a minute of legit pro ball and you've already mapped out (read undersold) his career progression for him. Nice.

Sure, it's not an exact science. But, there is plenty of precedent to go on. Even if DD didn't improve his senior year (unlikely) he was still going to get a shot in Australia or some European league. There was only upside in that he would have had a chance to be a first round pick. I know it's easy to say when it's not my money....but he clearly left money on the table.

Reaction Score
Sure, it's not an exact science. But, there is plenty of precedent to go on. Even if DD didn't improve his senior year (unlikely) he was still going to get a shot in Australia or some European league. There was only upside in that he would have had a chance to be a first round pick. I know it's easy to say when it's not my money....but he clearly left money on the table.

Right. Absolutely nothing bad could have happened with his playing basketball for free for another year. As we know, no one has ever had a significant, career-altering injury playing basketball.

Reaction Score
Right. Absolutely nothing bad could have happened with his playing basketball for free for another year. As we know, no one has ever had a significant, career-altering injury playing basketball.

Right. And they absolutely don't sell insurance policies to insure against such an injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom