Perth Wildcats - Introducing Deandre Daniels | The Boneyard

Perth Wildcats - Introducing Deandre Daniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I was worried about Boat making a bad decision and it turned out Daniels did. He may prove to be successful but he listened to the wrong people.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I was worried about Boat making a bad decision and it turned out Daniels did. He may prove to be successful but he listened to the wrong people.

Yep, he's getting paid to play basketball. Sucks for him.

Only thing DD would have gotten by staying at UCONN is use up another year of his ticking age clock. He'd have been in Perth next year, instead of this one.

Reaction Score
Dude why?
Why do you do this?
Why do you pretend to know what would have happened if he came back.

To quote AndyDufresne, how can you be so obtuse?

Is it
Inconceivable_by_KoujiIsMine.jpg
to you that DD would have come back and had about the same year? Which would have resulted in a substantial downgrade to his ranking? Or, worse, had a Josh Boone year? Or gotten injured?

Do you realize that your comment is, really, an irrational attack on the kid, smacks of sour grapes, and makes you seem like a
vaginaldouchelogo.jpg

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Do you realize that your comment is, really, an irrational attack on the kid, smacks of sour grapes, and makes you seem like a
vaginaldouchelogo.jpg

What is that? Looks like some sort of aggressive butt plug....

C

Chief00

Dude why?
Why do you do this?
Why do you pretend to know what would have happened if he came back.

To quote AndyDufresne, how can you be so obtuse?

Is it
Inconceivable_by_KoujiIsMine.jpg
to you that DD would have come back and had about the same year? Which would have resulted in a substantial downgrade to his ranking? Or, worse, had a Josh Boone year? Or gotten injured?

vaginaldouchelogo.jpg
Quite frankly, I don't believe you understand the pay slots in the NBA draft and you assume Daniels wouldn't continue to improve. So you are the one selling him short. The Josh Boone comparison is a poor one. Josh, as I recall, was the 22 or 23 pick in the draft - first round - got the guaranteed money. Furthermore, although he was a first round pick he peaked his Freshman year - Daniels has improved during his college career. Additionally, the 2014 draft was unusual deep - next year not so. As a second round pick he was guaranteed no NBA money. I believe Ollie would have coached him into a 2015 first round pick. If I am wrong - guess what he could play 2016 in Perth or wherever. I hope this helps.

Reaction Score

STORY

Excited for him. He'll come back next season a beast. just like ennis did.

This is fantastic for Deandre. He's going to get to hone his skills and be put in a position of leadership. I think he did all he could at Uconn- Toronto asked him to play there--hes going to be paid 6 figures and be able to come back to SL 2015 in great shape to make the Raptors(or other teams roster)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
As much as I think Chief is a lunatic who hears voices, he's right.

If you leave a school like UConn early and you end up in Perth with no real leverage and no NBA contract, you've made a mistake.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
What is that? Looks like some sort of aggressive butt plug....

Lmao. I was thinking butt plunger.

Reaction Score
Maybe he made the right decision and just got unlucky. I think DD would have signed up for being drafted #37 overall. Being sent to Perth for a year? Probably not...

Reaction Score
The problem is the construction of the Raptors roster. They elected to sign Lucas Nogueira only to aid in the transition of their first round pick Bruno to the NBA. DeAndre is a far better player than both but due to the risk of picking Bruno in the first round, Ujiri had to give him help.

Reaction Score

If you leave a school like UConn early and you end up in Perth with no real leverage and no NBA contract, you've made a mistake.
I've been in the Deandre should have come back calm along. With that said, his dominant game against Florida in the Final Four and his excellent overall play down the stretch should have launched him into the first half of the first round. His workouts and lack of consistency apparently cost him dearly and who's to say either of those would have improved with another year in school? I feel bad for what appears to be a great kid.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm not buying into the idea that DeAndre's goose is cooked. Obviously, if he came back and improved during his senior year, that would've been optimal. But people above me have already mentioned the myriad of negative outcomes that could result from that. I personally think that his consistency issues wouldn't have improved with an extra year, but that's just me.

Playing one season in Perth will not be a death sentence for him. He'll have an opportunity to showcase his skills and will definitely be monitored by the Raptors organization. Ujiri isn't afraid of shaking up his roster, so there could easily be a spot available for him next season, and the added year of professional experience will help him out a lot in summer league/training camp.

Bottom line, nobody on this board has a crystal ball (if I'm wrong, I need to meet this person). Players have made it out of more challenging situations than DeAndre, and players have washed out of the league despite their hands being held. The ball is in his court here -- if he works and plays hard, he has a very good shot at forcing his way into the league.

Reaction Score

If I thought there was even a decent possibility of him becoming a first round pick I would agree with you.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yep, he's getting paid to play basketball. Sucks for him.

Only thing DD would have gotten by staying at UCONN is use up another year of his ticking age clock. He'd have been in Perth next year, instead of this one.
You think? I think another year under Ollie would have done wonders for his consistency.

Reaction Score
Chief00 said:
, although he was a first round pick he peaked his Freshman year -

This is a Boneyard myth that keeps popping up. Boone had almost no responsibility as a freshman other than setting screens and trying for weak side tip ins when teams overplayed Okafor. He improved a ton as a sophomore. The team just had two near-death experiences and wasn't as successful.

Reaction Score
Maybe he made the right decision and just got unlucky. I think DD would have signed up for being drafted #37 overall. Being sent to Perth for a year? Probably not...
yea part of the problem is that it seems unless DD went nuts in summer league, he had no chance of making the Raptors roster, on the night he got drafted the Raps GM even said that they were planning on stashing him overseas so he was already behind the 8ball from the jump. Alot of 2nd rounders got signed to guaranteed deals off of good SL performances, not great and really not much diff than how DD performed. DD probably would've been better off selected by another team that would have given him a legitimate shot at making the roster. Either way, its a marathon, DD has the right people out west in his camp who are going to push him and work on his training, I think he's going to eventually make it with his skillset.

C

Chief00

Strength, both offensively and defensively was a concern of scouts - including getting stripped of the ball. The new leadership in the Strength and Conditioning program would have helped with this weakness - as folks will see with Facey. I doubt that he will get this weakness addressed playing overseas.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Strength, both offensively and defensively was a concern of scouts - including getting stripped of the ball. The new leadership in the Strength and Conditioning program would have helped with this weakness - as folks will see with Facey. I doubt that he will get this weakness addressed playing overseas.

Why not? They don't work on their game overseas?

DD's biggest impediment is his age. And that would only get worse with another year in school.

C

Chief00

This is a Boneyard myth that keeps popping up. Boone had almost no responsibility as a freshman other than setting screens and trying for weak side tip ins when teams overplayed Okafor. He improved a ton as a sophomore. The team just had two near-death experiences and wasn't as successful.

There is some truth to that as Travis stock was the highest when he played on Shaq's weak side. However, quite frankly, perception and situational circumstance is reality. I also think you overstate Josh's improvement, impact of injuries and getting into Calhoun's doghouse. Still to my earlier post's point - Josh was drafted in the 1st round with guaranteed money; Daniels at #37 with no true team commitment.

Reaction Score
Chief00 said:
There is some truth to that as Travis stock was the highest when he played on Shaq's weak side. However, quite frankly, perception and situational circumstance is reality. I also think you overstate Josh's improvement, impact of injuries and getting into Calhoun's doghouse. Still to my earlier post's point - Josh was drafted in the 1st round with guaranteed money; Daniels at #37 with no true team commitment.

I didn't look it up in my last post to back it up with facts, but here you go:

As a freshman, he averaged 5.9, 5.8, 1.7 (points, rebounds, blocks) and shot 55 percent.

As a sophomore, he averaged 12.4, 8.4, 2.9 and shot 61 percent.

Minutes went up slightly from 22 to 29, but that alone doesn't account for the big jump in production.

That's significant improvement. But I lived through the era and remembered it well - he went from garbage buckets only to a guy who was a strong post scorer. The fan disappointment with Josh didn't kick in until his junior year when he plateaued (or even regressed a tick) - partly due to his own shortcomings and partly due to other guys around him needing more touches (an improved Rudy and Hilton, a healthy Rashad, etc.). Playing the first half of the season without a point guard maybe didn't help either.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I didn't look it up in my last post to back it up with facts, but here you go:

As a freshman, he averaged 5.9, 5.8, 1.7 (points, rebounds, blocks) and shot 55 percent.

As a sophomore, he averaged 12.4, 8.4, 2.9 and shot 61 percent.

Minutes went up slightly from 22 to 29, but that alone doesn't account for the big jump in production.

That's significant improvement. But I lived through the era and remembered it well - he went from garbage buckets only to a guy who was a strong post scorer. The fan disappointment with Josh didn't kick in until his junior year when he plateaued (or even regressed a tick) - partly due to his own shortcomings and partly due to other guys around him needing more touches (an improved Rudy and Hilton, a healthy Rashad, etc.). Playing the first half of the season without a point guard maybe didn't help either.

Fan disappointment with the players from that Era is directly related the George Mason loss.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If I thought there was even a decent possibility of him becoming a first round pick I would agree with you.

He was the seventh pick in the second round this year and you don't think there was a 'decent possibility' of him becoming a first round pick next year?

All righty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger