Perspective . . . what is being a fan? | The Boneyard

Perspective . . . what is being a fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've read many posts since well before Ollie took over. This board has, collectively, multiple personality disorder. We're all emotional about UConn. If your heart wasn't racing when Kemba dropped the Pittsburgh Predator by moving the floor underneath him then you're no kind of fan I ever heard of.
But lemme get to the point.
Ever read the book The American? It's about a guy from America in the 1800s who has made a lot of money recently and he goes to Europe [spoiler alert ;)] and falls in love with a French woman, but the problem is, see, her family is really old money, and they don't like him because he's new, gauche money, and, as you can probably imagine, it doesn't work out for him and he doesn't get the girl.
That's UConn. We're new money. We can play at the poker table with UK, Indiana, UCLA, and so on, but, when the room clears, we're not quite the same status. Our current lack of a discernible DI football program makes this more poignant. Louisville is old money. That's why they got the girl, and we did not.
But we will. UConn and Connecticut has too much going in the right direction, IMO, with too much impetus, to prevent a continuation of growth in athletics. Just my opinion, but it's not the tail wagging the dog here. We are a big dog. We wag the tail. We're the ones who knock.
We're in a transition. A Major transition. Not quite a get-your-privates-whacked-and-have-a-groove-put-in transition, but a midlife crisis transition that makes us want to drive a porsche and take a chance with a 20-something.
This transition has led to the following: we are playing a backup power forward as our starting center, and 5th year transfer from a local college as our first guard off the bench. Did I mention that our back up center was seen less last year than Te'o's girlfriend, before her tragic death, and that's only because one NFL player, just to make the bizarre surreal, spent some quality time with her before her passing?
And we have some dude named Tolksdorf or something. And Phil Nolan, who is raw like Tokyo Sushi. And Ryan Boatright, who played only choppily last season.
Oh. And there's this new coach. It's his first year, after getting smacked around by a system that had him on a 240 day contract to start. Not first year at UConn. First year anywhere.
And our best two inside guys left. And they were damn good and they played on a national champion team.
Keep it in perspective. For now and for the rest of the season. And probably some of next season too, because you don't brake a runaway train in an instant.
The perspective is this. With a rag-tag-fugitive-fleet (including the robot dog) Ollie has pretty much done this: Won the games he was supposed to win. And. He's got the kids playing very hard. And he won at least one, and probably two, games that he was not supposed to win. He lost to 25, 19, 14, and 1.
So, when we play the #1 team in the country, 28 hours after a gutted out win in a hostile environment against a good team, and that #1 team has two very quick, very good guards, and very good athletes at every position, and we are winning at the half, and we lose by less than 20, the perspective is that that result is pretty damn good. It means, if you keep it in perspective, that Ollie has gotten a team that most would not have considered a top 40 team (not even Casey Casum) at the start of the year and has got them playing top-25 type ball. After losing 4 starters to the draft and transfers and having only one significant recruit joint the team. That's pretty damn good.
So, two face board, if possible, resist all urges, after the several to many more losses that will come, to post comments devoid of all perspective, and that may have a hint of unnecessary cruelty or anger or personal attack - such as - comments about Olander not being _______ enough. Or RJ being out of place in the BE. Or Wolf being such and such. Yes, yes, and yes. It's all true. But so what? If your wife has a giant, ugly mole on her ass you don't have to point it out every time you're riding Seatle Slew down the home stretch of the Belmont.

These kids are busting their asses. Sure, they were whooped in the 2nd half against Pitino's team. Somebody posted something about "we we're outcoached." Jesus. I hope so. Pitino has had three decades to work on it. If he can't outcoach a guy coaching his 14th game as a head coach, it's time to make banging skanks on red and white tables more than just an occasional hobby. What was the point of the post?

Being a fan means being emotional. Being a great fan - and I hope the praetorian guard posters on the Boneyard each and all strive to be that - means keeping it in perspective, and understanding that . . .
. . . expecting more than maximum effort out of the kids, and degrading them, insulting them, personally attacking them, and so on when they are giving maximum effort but not winning is not being a great fan. As far as I can see, these kids are busting ass virtually every play of every game, and I am thrilled to watch what I consider to be the instant revival of the program.

Keep it in perspective. For at least another year or two. Then, I'm confident, we can all revert be being the very spoiled products of the Jim Calhoun era that we all are.

Reaction Score
I will read the rest in the morning.

Left off at "Take a chance with the 20-something." That will inspire me to read on! :) haha

Reaction Score
Please keep the poker references coming! It really is a game analogous to life.

Reaction Score
What a great post. On a scale of freescooter to makersmuppet, you're at about an eight and a half right now. I'm guessing you're a regular poster here posting under a different name, but if not, please continue to post.

I had similar thoughts after our loss to Louisville, but I decided not to post anything because there's no way I could have stated it as vividly as you just did. Monday is what I like to call a "reality check" loss. When Kevin Ollie took the stage at his introductory press conference, four of his first words were "escalators are for cowards". Well, as much as we all wanted to believe otherwise, we still have a load of stairs left to climb as a result of the NCAA's di*kery that set the program back a couple years. You don't lose your leading scorer, as well as your three best frontcourt players, and magically knock off the #1 team in the country a few months later. Similarly, you don't serve as an assistant coach for two years and then outcoach Rick Pitino in your 14th game at the wheel. That would be like me taking a couple courses of drivers ed and out-manuevering Jimmy Johnson in a freeway race.

Kevin Ollie has never met a staircase he didn't want to climb. I have no idea how many stairs we've climbed since November, but it hasn't been enough. So yeah, maybe the sanctions along with Louisville's departure to the ACC has left us with a staircase as big as Everest, but Kevin Ollie's going to get to the top or die trying. Just give him some time.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
If your wife has a giant, ugly mole on her ass you don't have to point it out every time you're riding Seatle Slew down the home stretch of the Belmont.

Very true!

Great Post!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
....MakersMuppet?
More like HuskyDan without the slashes, endless conference predictions and sober...okay he's nothing like Dan.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What a great post. On a scale of freescooter to makersmuppet, you're at about an eight and a half right now.
lol -nice.

Reaction Score
The question was asked what is being fan?
Well to me a fan(or fanatic) is someone that doesn't run when the team is losing. Also it is someone who stays in their seat with 7 minutes to go in the game even if the home team is losing by 15. It's someone that cares deeply about their team.

To me being a fan is not giving up on them ....no matter what.

I'm not saying you have to know what 8th grade PG is on our radar Or asking anyone to diagram a perfect play to run in the 2 minute drill.

Sure not getting the kid that our squad spent a ton of time on stinks or having a guy run your offense and OL into the ground makes you nuts (and post and call for a change every 5 minutes) :)

We all have to step back at times and realize that this is supposed to be fun no matter how much it is klling us.

But you know what it's all so worth it when you see your team walk into South Bend and beat a legendary program or have a group of young players make a run to a NCAA Championship for the ages.

Lets face it around here we got sh#t lucky when JC was hired over Mitch Bonoguero and Nick Macarchuk. We won and won and won AND we liked it AND we got used to it. Some of the younger crowd doesn't remember the Perno years or before.

Believe it or not it is not our right of birth to be great in hoops every year or get our ticket punched to the B1G. But we want it to be real bad.

Sticking with your team .....that is what being a fan is Charlie Brown.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I've read many posts since well before Ollie took over. This board has, collectively, multiple personality disorder. We're all emotional about UConn. If your heart wasn't racing when Kemba dropped the Pittsburgh Predator by moving the floor underneath him then you're no kind of fan I ever heard of.
Ever read the book The American? It's about a guy from America in the 1800s who has made a lot of money recently and he goes to Europe [spoiler alert ;)] and falls in love with a French woman, but the problem is, see, her family is really old money, and they don't like him because he's new, gauche money, and, as you can probably imagine, it doesn't work out for him and he doesn't get the girl.
That's UConn. We're new money. We can play at the poker table with UK, Indiana, UCLA, and so on, but, when the room clears, we're not quite the same status. Our current lack of a discernible DI football program makes this more poignant. Louisville is old money. That's why they got the girl, and we did not.
But we will. UConn and Connecticut has too much going in the right direction, IMO, with too much impetus, to prevent a continuation of growth in athletics. Just my opinion, but it's not the tail wagging the dog here. We are a big dog. We wag the tail. We're the ones who knock.
We're in a transition. A Major transition. Not quite a get-your-privates-whacked-and-have-a-groove-put-in transition, but a midlife crisis transition that makes us want to drive a porsche and take a chance with a 20-something.
This transition has led to the following: we are playing a backup power forward as our starting center, and 5th year transfer from a local college as our first guard off the bench. Did I mention that our back up center was seen less last year than Te'o's girlfriend, before her tragic death, and that's only because one NFL player, just to make the bizarre surreal, spent some quality time with her before her passing?
And we have some dude named Tolksdorf or something. And Phil Nolan, who is raw like Tokyo Sushi. And Ryan Boatright, who played only choppily last season.
Oh. And there's this new coach. It's his first year, after getting smacked around by a system that had him on a 240 day contract to start. Not first year at UConn. First year anywhere.
And our best two inside guys left. And they were damn good and they played on a national champion team.
Keep it in perspective. For now and for the rest of the season. And probably some of next season too, because you don't brake a runaway train in an instant.
The perspective is this. With a rag-tag-fugitive-fleet (including the robot dog) Ollie has pretty much done this: Won the games he was supposed to win. And. He's got the kids playing very hard. And he won at least one, and probably two, games that he was not supposed to win. He lost to 25, 19, 14, and 1.
So, when we play the #1 team in the country, 28 hours after a gutted out win in a hostile environment against a good team, and that #1 team has two very quick, very good guards, and very good athletes at every position, and we are winning at the half, and we lose by less than 20, the perspective is that that result is pretty damn good. It means, if you keep it in perspective, that Ollie has gotten a team that most would not have considered a top 40 team (not even Casey Casum) at the start of the year and has got them playing top-25 type ball. After losing 4 starters to the draft and transfers and having only one significant recruit joint the team. That's pretty damn good.
So, two face board, if possible, resist all urges, after the several to many more losses that will come, to post comments devoid of all perspective, and that may have a hint of unnecessary cruelty or anger or personal attack - such as - comments about Olander not being _______ enough. Or RJ being out of place in the BE. Or Wolf being such and such. Yes, yes, and yes. It's all true. But so what? If your wife has a giant, ugly mole on her ass you don't have to point it out every time you're riding Seatle Slew down the home stretch of the Belmont.

These kids are busting their asses. Sure, they were whooped in the 2nd half against Pitino's team. Somebody posted something about "we we're outcoached." Jesus. I hope so. Pitino has had three decades to work on it. If he can't outcoach a guy coaching his 14th game as a head coach, it's time to make banging skanks on red and white tables more than just an occasional hobby. What was the point of the post?

Being a fan means being emotional. Being a great fan - and I hope the praetorian guard posters on the Boneyard each and all strive to be that - means keeping it in perspective, and understanding that . . .
. . . expecting more than maximum effort out of the kids, and degrading them, insulting them, personally attacking them, and so on when they are giving maximum effort but not winning is not being a great fan. As far as I can see, these kids are busting ass virtually every play of every game, and I am thrilled to watch what I consider to be the instant revival of the program.

Keep it in perspective. For at least another year or two. Then, I'm confident, we can all revert be being the very spoiled products of the Jim Calhoun era that we all are.

Is there a moive version of this? or Cliff notes.

I started it and it seemed interesting. Anyone want to encapsulate it for me in a sentence or two?

Reaction Score
That was a fabulous post. And great advice.

On the nature of being a fan, my favorite is this:

"Being a fan does not involve some random selection process. I did not choose to be a fan of a team. It chose me."

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You are preaching to the choir with this post. I wish it would inspire people in other choirs but it won't. Why? The answer is obvious since the opinions in this forum, or on any issue people discuss, are varied.

One reason, perspective is subjective. Did you ever eat something that you really enjoyed and someone else thought was horrible? So who sets the parameters on what constitutes a good player, a good coach, a well executed game?

Did you ever watch one of the reality shows and observe someone who thinks they are skilled and talented when it is obvious to so many others that they are not? Most of us have a real good understanding of ourselves on most matters. A small % of people, imo, have a real good understanding of themselves on all matters. And a small % of people have no understanding of themselves on any matter. So arguments about what is proper gets relegated to debate for no other reason than some of us lack the ability to see ourselves the way others do.

We prefer believing moral standards made by a moral society are based on a noble position. If anyone makes any postulation, can we assert we were absolutely impartial, totally qualified beings, above reproach, in other words, near the level of G-d? The only way any postulation can be absolute is if it was based on knowing everything and everyone, knowing everything with absolute certainty that has transpired in the past, is happening currently and will take place in the future. That is impossible for us mere mortals, so we must recognize not only our personal limitations, but our collective limitations as well. This would be the argument any of us can rationally apply to any of our assertions.

I applaud your effort in pointing out things which I feel are necessary and which I primarily apply for myself. But I understand the diversity of thinking and feeling of people, and therefore, although I will argue alongside your position, I understand that acceptance of your well written and thought out ideas will not change too many, if any, peoples minds. So I suggest you keep reminding people of your points but try not to get discouraged if things don't change.

Cliff note version for sdhusky: great post by "perspective". I support his position on attitude to players and KO and the current position of the men's bb team. But I doubt he will change anyone's opinion who doesn't already agree with his viewpoint of things.

Reaction Score
Is this dogmania's new handle? Very solid post Perspective but it was awfully long. If it was a little more 99ish I would've been one of the 50 people that liked it.

Reaction Score
Bottom line is fans on the Boneyard are special, and that was proven by our $30k plus in donations to JC's charity within 10 days. Many of us are season ticket holders, make financial contributions to the university, or are just overall great fans. It's not my place to tell anyone here how they should feel regarding some of the stuff going on, especially conference realignment. We have every right to be frustrated and talk that's what these message boards are for. But I don't think anyone here is wavering on their loyalty to support the Huskies. There is a difference between being a fan that is realistic, and a delusional fan like the weirdo's at PC. Let's continue to be ourselves and keep it real.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Bottom line is fans on the Boneyard are special, and that was proven by our $30k plus in donations to JC's charity within 10 days. Many of us are season ticket holders, make financial contributions to the university, or are just overall great fans. It's not my place to tell anyone here how they should feel regarding some of the stuff going on, especially conference realignment. We have every right to be frustrated and talk that's what these message boards are for. But I don't think anyone here is wavering on their loyalty to support the Huskies. There is a difference between being a fan that is realistic, and a delusional fan like the weirdo's at PC. Let's continue to be ourselves and keep it real.
I think we can measure height but measuring reality and weirdness is outside our skill set imo! Heck, after reading all the heights of an incoming recruit, I don't have much faith in our ability to measure heights of people either.:)

Reaction Score
You are preaching to the choir with this post. I wish it would inspire people in other choirs but it won't. Why? The answer is obvious since the opinions in this forum, or on any issue people discuss, are varied.

One reason, perspective is subjective. Did you ever eat something that you really enjoyed and someone else thought was horrible? So who sets the parameters on what constitutes a good player, a good coach, a well executed game?

Did you ever watch one of the reality shows and observe someone who thinks they are skilled and talented when it is obvious to so many others that they are not? Most of us have a real good understanding of ourselves on most matters. A small % of people, imo, have a real good understanding of themselves on all matters. And a small % of people have no understanding of themselves on any matter. So arguments about what is proper gets relegated to debate for no other reason than some of us lack the ability to see ourselves the way others do.

We prefer believing moral standards made by a moral society are based on a noble position. If anyone makes any postulation, can we assert we were absolutely impartial, totally qualified beings, above reproach, in other words, near the level of G-d? The only way any postulation can be absolute is if it was based on knowing everything and everyone, knowing everything with absolute certainty that has transpired in the past, is happening currently and will take place in the future. That is impossible for us mere mortals, so we must recognize not only our personal limitations, but our collective limitations as well. This would be the argument any of us can rationally apply to any of our assertions.

I applaud your effort in pointing out things which I feel are necessary and which I primarily apply for myself. But I understand the diversity of thinking and feeling of people, and therefore, although I will argue alongside your position, I understand that acceptance of your well written and thought out ideas will not change too many, if any, peoples minds. So I suggest you keep reminding people of your points but try not to get discouraged if things don't change.

Cliff note version for sdhusky: great post by "perspective". I support his position on attitude to players and KO and the current position of the men's bb team. But I doubt he will change anyone's opinion who doesn't already agree with his viewpoint of things.

His poker and 20-something references are what caught my attention. :)

Entertainment value. I like a good story with a few key sexy buzz words.

Its kind of like when you were missing from the boneyard for over a year after losing your canine soul mate. I missed ya man!!!!!!!!! The appreciation we each share for our canine companions was a beautiful thing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom