Pepperdine WBB Players Suing School | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pepperdine WBB Players Suing School

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well if true a couple things. 1) dumb to transfer to a school without checking out the policies or talking to the coach, etc. 2) dumb to exclude players for their sexual preference 3) dumb to NOT remove them from the team for dating each other. 4) dumb for transferring to Pepperdine to get a better shot at the WNBA

Sounds like a lot of dumb people. Including me, I didn't realize it was a Church of Christ school. My wife goes to a Church of Christ.

Reaction Score
Geno-ista said:
My Nice comment was about your parents meeting there! Are many of these universities Jesuit? One of my daughters graduated from Holy Cross , Worcester Ma. And I can tell you first hand, they challenge you to question your faith. And Holy Cross was certainly not a conservative institution.
I'm glad they met there too :)

Reaction Score
meyers7 said:
Well if true a couple things. 1) dumb to transfer to a school without checking out the policies or talking to the coach, etc. 2) dumb to exclude players for their s e xual preference 3) dumb to NOT remove them from the team for dating each other. 4) dumb for transferring to Pepperdine to get a better shot at the WNBA Sounds like a lot of dumb people. Including me, I didn't realize it was a Church of Christ school. My wife goes to a Church of Christ.
I go to one also.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It is important nowadays to at least somewhat separate one's perception of Bob Jones (Sr or Jr), and the school that is run by another younger son. The school has at least started to dabble in interscholastic sports (something that was an anathema in the past) and has tried to distance itself (with apologies) from certain former policies that blew up when Bush visited the school in 2000 and the media attention and the nation got reminded about what school policies were then. Bob Jones III is still saying things like the head of state may not be the religion he says he is, so he is very open to controversy, but Steve Jones and the school seem committed to moving more into the mainstream. Perhaps some would consider that a bad thing though.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So progressive of them...
One thing you can say for BJU is that it did take the lead in forcing through rulings and changes involving the exclusion of blacks from private colleges. True, it was BJU's militant efforts to overturn efforts against tax exemptions for segregated schools that led to these changes, but they would probably not have happened for a long time afterward if not for BJU's militancy.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Pepperdine does have an LGBT club on campus, though its sole approved actions is to discuss legal issues relating to LGBT questions, so presumably that could also mean fighting gay marriage laws. Like Baylor, all s-e-x-u-a-l activity outside of the marriage of a husband and wife is forbidden, so the school can say it is not just both straight and gay action if you don't have a marriage license. Not sure what the school administration would rule about married gay students at this point if it happened there, but it's hard to see it happening. Again they stress the husband-wife connection repeatedly in that part of the handbook.

The school seems to be in transition on LGBT issues, denying students to organize for LGBT orientation clubs but also recently announcing a scholarship for LGBT service and trying to distance itself from the actions of faculty that have worked for anti LGBT causes.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It is important nowadays to at least somewhat separate one's perception of Bob Jones (Sr or Jr), and the school that is run by another younger son. The school has at least started to dabble in interscholastic sports (something that was an anathema in the past) and has tried to distance itself (with apologies) from certain former policies that blew up when Bush visited the school in 2000 and the media attention and the nation got reminded about what school policies were then. Bob Jones III is still saying things like the head of state may not be the religion he says he is, so he is very open to controversy, but Steve Jones and the school seem committed to moving more into the mainstream. Perhaps some would consider that a bad thing though.
I live in South Carolina, though thankfully not in that part of the state. BJU has made very slight changes and they've probably now moved into the early 1960's, culturally-speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom