Peer Institution database | The Boneyard

Peer Institution database

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The Chronicle of Higher Ed put this interactive page together.... this was mentioned in regards to Oklahoma CR stuff but I looked up UConn. Here are the schools they list as their "comparison group", I've grouped them by conference:

Ohio State
Michigan
Purdue
Penn State
Wisconsin
Maryland
Illinois

UC - Berkeley
UC - Davis
UC - Irvine
UCLA
UC - San Diego
UC - Santa Barbara
Washington

Georgia Tech
UNC
UVA

Florida
Georgia

UT-Austin

William & Mary

As this article notes, all schools tend to pick "aspirational peers" that might not consider themselves peers. Thus, none of the schools listed pick UConn back, and the schools that pick UConn as their peer (i.e., URI, UNH, UMass, WVU, Rutgers(!), St John's, George Mason, ASU...) aren't on UConn's list. But that's not what's most telling to me - it's that

A) discounting all the U. California institutions listed, the B1G is the largest share of UConn's peers,
B) only one BXII school (Texas) makesUConn's list
C) Zero AAC schools picked by UConn, and zero AAC schools pick UConn.

SMU picks mostly privates (USCw, Tulane, Nova), not much surprise there. Tulane's is a higher tier of privates with a few big publics. Houston's list is mostly mid-tier, mostly southern publics. Similar for UCF, with a bit more geographic reach. My takeaway - UConn doesn't fit in the AAC as an academic institution, and it wouldn't fit in the BXII any better especially if Texas leaves. B1G, ACC or bust.

Reaction Score
I wonder how complete that list is. UCONN selected 21 institutions and 23 institutions selected UCONN, yet not 1 match. Those numbers seem low to me. Arizona State, Iowa State, Rutgers, SUNY-Albany, Texas Tech, and Florida State selected UCONN and I am sure UCONN would consider them peers.
Maryland selected only 5 while 39 selected Maryland. I don't think this is a comprehensive listing.

Last edited:

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I wonder how complete that list is. UCONN selected 21 institutions and 23 institutions selected UCONN, yet not 1 match. Those numbers seem low to me. Arizona State, Iowa State, Rutgers, SUNY-Albany, Texas Tech, and Florida State selected UCONN and I am sure UCONN would consider them peers.
Maryland selected only 5 while 39 selected Maryland. I don't think this is a comprehensive listing.
Well, Cincy and some others have zero listed. Perhaps not all of the filings have been entered in the database.

Each school probably has scores of peer institutions, but not all will be listed.

pj

Reaction Score
Rutgers is a good peer for UConn. UConn may be a bit better undergrad, Rutgers better graduate school and research school.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Slightly OT but all of the RU boosters I know consider UConn a rival and enjoyed the RU/UConn football games. FWIW

Reaction Score
I like the Maryland comp. Similar academics, similar athletics, both east coast state schools, and nobody smells like New Jersey.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Rutgers is a good peer for UConn. UConn may be a bit better undergrad, Rutgers better graduate school and research school.
I went to Rutgers for my PhD a long time ago (15 years), back then RU was definitely miles ahead as far as research /number of grad students. From what I've heard, although the RU-UMDNJ merger was long overdue, by the time they finally did it a lot of the research faculty at UMDNJ were either leaving or struggling for NIH funds (not unique to Rutgers, but lots of places that aren't Harvard). UConn just hired a bunch of new research faculty who might get a little bit of a break if the NIH funding goes through at levels currently in the House, the Senate will have to set their levels and then conference before it goes to Obama but it looks like a good bet... of course then those new faculty have to go and win those grants.

Reaction Score
I like the Maryland comp. Similar academics, similar athletics, both east coast state schools, and nobody smells like New Jersey.
No I disagree...Md's a strange mix of old southern and new yankee vibe..clashing cultures unlike NJ/Conn old school stuffy conservative values..pj hit the nail on the head. Outside of good hoops whats so similar athletically? RU/MD are more similar that way. In some ways i see UV as a good peer for MD. Where cultures meet!!

Reaction Score
Acute accurate observations pj.

Reaction Score
My older daughter graduated from UConn in 2011. Younger fron William and Mary in 2013. Makes perfect sense to me.

Reaction Score
No I disagree...Md's a strange mix of old southern and new yankee vibe..clashing cultures unlike NJ/Conn old school stuffy conservative values..pj hit the nail on the head. Outside of good hoops whats so similar athletically? RU/MD are more similar that way. In some ways i see UV as a good peer for MD. Where cultures meet!!

Don't take this as a lash out at our friends to the south, but MD is largely considered a successful AD - with trophies across a number of Men's and Women's sports. In that sense they are the brother to UCONN, or the anti-Rutgers if you prefer.

Reaction Score
Don't take this as a lash out at our friends to the south, but MD is largely considered a successful AD - with trophies across a number of Men's and Women's sports. In that sense they are the brother to UCONN, or the anti-Rutgers if you prefer.
Well in that case you could say your a peer of Bama. The Hoops equivalent anyway!?! I was going by the overall cultural vibe than purely AD's..And how on earth did UMd dig such a financial hole with all the ACC resourses at their disposal? At least we knew WHY Mulcahy dug his hole in ramping up to meet B1G FB spec's to become acceptable but Md was under no such constraints/pressure. But I do get your point Auggie.

Reaction Score
Well in that case you could say your a peer of Bama. The Hoops equivalent anyway!?! I was going by the overall cultural vibe than purely AD's..And how on earth did UMd dig such a financial hole with all the ACC resourses at their disposal? At least we knew WHY Mulcahy dug his hole in ramping up to meet B1G FB spec's to become acceptable but Md was under no such constraints/pressure. But I do get your point Auggie.

Debbie Yow, NC State's current AD, is how. The short version of a long story is she over spent by starting nonsensical programs like competitive cheer and paying Maryland's men's basketball assistant coaches less than their female counterparts. She built suites in the football stadium without anyone to sell them to. She was also drawing from a rainy day fund to "balance" the budget all while giving money to the academic side and pretending to be God's gift and a paragon of fiduciary responsibility.

Thank goodness she's someone else's problem now. And thank goodness Maryland has a AD and President now who understand the importance of wooing donors and connecting with the greater College Park community.

The short answer to pretty much all of Maryland's current debt - a debt slated to be handled by 2021 - is always Debbie Yow. The current administration gets it. One very tangible thing is simply in what UMD sports are referred to. Maryland doesn't promote the moniker Terps or fields and jerseys like it did. Everything is Maryland now and it pays off. Walk around Baltimore or really anyplace around the state and you'll see someone wearing something patterned after the Maryland state flag. That was a conscious thing Debbie Yows crew didn't get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom