Patriots getting hosed | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Patriots getting hosed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is a reason why franchises like the Cowboys, Yankees and Patriots are valued in the billions - they all have a deeper, more diverse customer base to sell merchandising. Personally, I wouldn't wear a green Yankees hat or a yellow Patriots sweatshirt...it's not my taste either. Our football coach wore a red UConn sweater on Saturday and while I'm sure HFD spat all over his TV, I didn't hear much fuss about it. Sports marketing is much different today than it was back when we grew up. There were never pink Yankee hats in the 80s. But MLB and the Yankees realized that fans come in all forms and have made billions of more dollars by offering more people more product choice.
When I say pink hat it has nothing to do with the color hat somebody wears, it's describing the type of fan that jumped on the Patriots bandwagon in the early 2000's, it happened with the Red Sox as well but they at least had tons of real fans for generations. I recently talked to a diehard Red Sox fan from West Roxbury who said she couldn't be a Patriots fan because the fanbase was so phony and full of pink hats. The weirdest thing is I have several friends from Chicago who consider themselves diehard Patriots/Red Sox fans and they've never stepped foot in Boston let alone New England. I'm a fan of my teams since I was a little tyke and have no respect for people who just decide they all of a sudden like winners. My hockey team is the Whalers and once they left CT. I know longer have a favorite hockey team. The people who were diehard Whalers fans and then just jumped on the Bruins bandwagon and call themselves Bruins fans are a freaking joke. I appreciate what the Blackhawks are doing and root for them in a series but I would never call myself a Blackhawks fan.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
One fan in this thread said that, and now it's all fans who are saying that.

The only thing worse than conspiracy theorists are people who take those opinions and try to make it sound like it's the entire fan base's.

More prevalent for the Pats than most fanbases. Another one I hate is taking the opinion of homers who go overboard for comedy's sake, and then extrapolating that out to all fans. Deliberately obtuse.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
When I say pink hat it has nothing to do with the color hat somebody wears, it's describing the type of fan that jumped on the Patriots bandwagon in the early 2000's, it happened with the Red Sox as well but they at least had tons of real fans for generations. I recently talked to a diehard Red Sox fan from West Roxbury who said she couldn't be a Patriots fan because the fanbase was so phony and full of pink hats. The weirdest thing is I have several friends from Chicago who consider themselves diehard Patriots/Red Sox fans and they've never stepped foot in Boston let alone New England.

Then this person is an idiot (re sports) who cares too much about what other people think. If you are fan of the team, you support them, no matter what anyone else says or does full stop. I get the sentiment, as it's similar to liking an up and coming band. You like them before they are relevant, and then become resentful of all the Johnny-come-lately's. But that shouldn't lessen the quality of their music or the joy in appreciating them.

When you have the premier program in the league, people all over the world jump on board. It happened with the Yankees; I've been all over the world, and saw a largely disproportionate amount of Yankee hats abroad. And then there was a noticeable uptick in the # of Red Sox hats after 2004. And it's currently happening with the Patriots. There's a reason Brady's jersey sales still leads the league after all these years; it's usually a top draft pick that takes that slot. I mean, there's kids driving around on the roads who weren't even born when the Patriots won their first Superbowl. It's understandable.

And I'm the same on the Whalers. Currently in Boston but couldn't care less about the Bruins. Actually, I stopped watching the NHL after they stole our team, even though I grew up playing the game and enjoy it.

If you are a fan of the another team, I can understand how irritating it is. But it's not reflective of ALL fans, even though it's often painted as such.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And there it is . . . .

This is why Pats fans are ridiculed.

I don't truly believe it, but wouldn't put anything past that lying scumbag. There's no more dishonorable person in any position of power in American sports.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
When I say pink hat it has nothing to do with the color hat somebody wears, it's describing the type of fan that jumped on the Patriots bandwagon in the early 2000's, it happened with the Red Sox as well but they at least had tons of real fans for generations. I recently talked to a diehard Red Sox fan from West Roxbury who said she couldn't be a Patriots fan because the fanbase was so phony and full of pink hats. The weirdest thing is I have several friends from Chicago who consider themselves diehard Patriots/Red Sox fans and they've never stepped foot in Boston let alone New England. I'm a fan of my teams since I was a little tyke and have no respect for people who just decide they all of a sudden like winners. My hockey team is the Whalers and once they left CT. I know longer have a favorite hockey team. The people who were diehard Whalers fans and then just jumped on the Bruins bandwagon and call themselves Bruins fans are a freaking joke. I appreciate what the Blackhawks are doing and root for them in a series but I would never call myself a Blackhawks fan.

Sounds like you and I are one in alike. Just substitute Pats/Giants loyalties. I have quite a bit of family in Canada and whenever we get together they'll ask who I follow. I still and will always reply "the Whale".

Reaction Score
There is one on the men's basketball board and nobody is whining. Giants fans are saying they suck and calling out mistakes Coughlin and Eli continue to make.

We apologize for the Patriots not sucking.

Reaction Score
Then this person is an idiot (re sports) who cares too much about what other people think. If you are fan of the team, you support them, no matter what anyone else says or does full stop. I get the sentiment, as it's similar to liking an up and coming band. You like them before they are relevant, and then become resentful of all the Johnny-come-lately's. But that shouldn't lessen the quality of their music or the joy in appreciating them.

What's even more ridiculous is the Red Sox fan made fun of Patriot pink hats??!! Huh?

Go to a Patriot game--there are no phony fans. People stopped going to games during the Kiam/McPherson/Rust years. But from the mid 1970s until 1990, that stadium was always packed. I went there as a kid, and it was always packed in the 1970s. And when I was in Boston during the 80s, I caught a couple games a year. They were popular during the Berry era.

When Orthwein bought them and threatened to move them, and they went 1-15 and 2-14, people stopped coming. But that was a very short stretch of about 3 or so years.

As for Gronkowski and OPIs, he has had 5 calls go against him this year, which is absurd.

This is the sort of thing teams do to him constantly with no call:

Reaction Score
This is the Ex-Head of NFL officials (Read second post which is on Chung):

1. 11:57 PM - 29 Nov 2015
    Jim Daopoulos ‏@RefereeJimD 2h2 hours ago
    Sorry but the officials handled the clock exactly the way the rule book reads...when defense has an excess time out you wind the clock
  2. 11:41 PM - 29 Nov 2015 Jim Daopoulos ‏@RefereeJimD 3h3 hours ago
    That's an awful call and not a foul..... No visible restriction

3. 11:22 PM - 29 Nov 2015
    Jim Daopoulos ‏@RefereeJimD 3h3 hours ago
    You are correct...that action takes place all the time without offensive interference called...this call was very technical and not a foul
  4. 10:59 PM - 29 Nov 2015
    It's whoever makes the initial recovery if that can be determined, otherwise the player who comes out with it usually gets it
  5. 10:56 PM - 29 Nov 2015
    Wow ,quick decision and usually the officials give the ball to the player who comes out with it...this decision is unusual...

6. 10:41 PM - 29 Nov 2015
    Jim Daopoulos ‏@RefereeJimD 4h4 hours ago
    Roughing the kicker is when you contact the kickers plant leg and that did not happen but contact the non kicking leg and body did...
  7. 10:40 PM - 29 Nov 2015
    Jim Daopoulos ‏@RefereeJimD 4h4 hours ago
    When you contact a punter without touching the football you have a foul....only 5 yards but a foul
  8. 9:15 PM - 29 Nov 2015
    Jim Daopoulos ‏@RefereeJimD 5h5 hours ago
    Didn't see a lot of illegal action by Gronk on that foul...very little separation and should not have been flagged
Hilarious, I remember you posting Daopoulos in the past. He is right up there with you in terms of his Patriots cheating defense, shocker that he's from Boston. You probably thought George Mitchell was impartial in his PED investigation.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As for Gronkowski and OPIs, he has had 5 calls go against him this year, which is absurd.

This is the sort of thing teams do to him constantly with no call:

Gronk's actually been penalized six times. Mike Reiss did an interesting breakdown.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england...-gronkowski-to-higher-standard-with-opi-calls

Here's an article that sums up the refereeing for that game (which for the record, I don't really care about). Don't think he's a Pats fan.

http://uproxx.com/sports/2015/11/questionable-calls-against-patriots-in-first-loss-to-broncos/

Reaction Score
Hilarious, I remember you posting Daopoulos in the past. He is right up there with you in terms of his Patriots cheating defense, shocker that he's from Boston. You probably thought George Mitchell was impartial in his PED investigation.

He's from NYC and he is a go-to guy for a lot of people , like Peter King here: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/03/video-playoff-officiating-heres-the-inside-story

You're such a hater that you want to discredit the ex-head of officials.

Your hating is constant and growing.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
There has never been a professional team with fewet fans than the Patrios between 1975/1995.

That they could leverage Hartford for a stadium shows how sad it was.

Whatever.

The Patriots are the #2 most valuable NFL franchise right now. The Cowboys are #1. Both are well ahead of the Giants, Jets, Redskins, Bears, Steelers, Packers, etc.

Reaction Score
He's from NYC and he is a go-to guy for a lot of people , like Peter King here: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/03/video-playoff-officiating-heres-the-inside-story

You're such a hater that you want to discredit the ex-head of officials.

Your hating is constant and growing.
He's from Marlborough, MA. I could care less about his opinions on how a game is officiated I just find it hilarious that you have him as a Twitter buddy because he was trying to explain away the Patriots cheating. I get a kick out of how you will do anything to defend the honor of the Patriots and Penn State football, you should take up the cause of defending the Louisville athletic department while you're at it.

Reaction Score
Pats had 6 penalties for 46 yards. Broncos 5 penalties for 45 yards. Both teams gained two first downs from penalties, and both had pass interference or holding calls in the end zone.

Broncos are coming off a game with the Bears where they were called for 8 penalties for 119 yards, and the Bears had 0. Broncos fans were incensed, and you know what? Nobody cares. Just like no one cares that a couple of 50/50 calls went against the pats.

Pats with a 14 point lead in the 4th, against a backup in his second career start should be a win 10 times out of 10, and they shouldn't need help from the refs. Maybe if the pats even attempted to run the ball the 4th instead of throwing it every play in a snow storm, they could have pulled it out.

Reaction Score
He's from Marlborough, MA. I could care less about his opinions on how a game is officiated I just find it hilarious that you have him as a Twitter buddy because he was trying to explain away the Patriots cheating. I get a kick out of how you will do anything to defend the honor of the Patriots and Penn State football, you should take up the cause of defending the Louisville athletic department while you're at it.

Yet another person who has no idea how Twitter works.

Yah, the ex-NFL head of officiating with over a decade under his belt on the field is not that knowledgeable. That's why he is much sought-after. Superjohn knows better than the guy hired by a multibillion industry to oversee reffing.

Yup.

Delusional.

Reaction Score
The Pats didnt make the plays at the end and the Broncos did. There were some bad calls but there is no conspiracy thats just ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Pats showed how resilient they are. On a short week they go into the high altitude of Denver and finish the game without their top two defenders (Collins and Hightower) , four out of their top five offensive weapons (Edelman, Amendola, Dion Lewis and Gronk), a beat up offensive line and every break/call went against them and they still had a great chance to win this game. I don't think any other team in the NFL would have even been in this game.

Reaction Score
Yet another person who has no idea how Twitter works.

Yah, the ex-NFL head of officiating with over a decade under his belt on the field is not that knowledgeable. That's why he is much sought-after. Superjohn knows better than the guy hired by a multibillion industry to oversee reffing.

Yup.

Delusional.
I don't know how Twitter works? You're the dork who went searching for the former official's Twitter feed to confirm your whining.

Reaction Score
I don't know how Twitter works? You're the dork who went searching for the former official's Twitter feed to confirm your whining.

I didn't go searching for his feed either.

And yeah, you don't need to follow someone. That's not how twitter works. You don't understand it.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Pats showed how resilient they are. On a short week they go into the high altitude of Denver and finish the game without their top two defenders (Collins and Hightower) , four out of their top five offensive weapons (Edelman, Amendola, Dion Lewis and Gronk), a beat up offensive line and every break/call went against them and they still had a great chance to win this game. I don't think any other team in the NFL would have even been in this game.

I could not have said it better.

Go Pats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member